Today's 90 day report at KCI

John, please read the thread I highlighted. There is some conjecture as to whether or not your wife should have to report you. At post #7 CO-CO points out that the law is only applicable to :: Notification of residence of foreigners for businesses ::

You are assuming Nomad that everyone is reading from the same page!

John, please read the thread I highlighted. There is some conjecture as to whether or not your wife should have to report you. At post #7 CO-CO points out that the law is only applicable to :: Notification of residence of foreigners for businesses ::

According to section 38 of the 1979 immigration act, "House owners, heads of household, landlords or managers of hotels who accommodate foreign nationals on a temporary basis who stay in the kingdom legally, must notify the local immigration authorities within 24 hours from the time of arrival of the foreign national." If there is no immigration office in the province or locality of the respective house or hotel, the notification is made to the local police station. In Bangkok the notification is made to the Immigration Bureau. The notification of residence of foreign nationals is made by the manager of licensed hotels according to the hotel act, owners of guesthouses, mansions, apartments and rented houses using the form TM. 30.
The notification of residence of foreign nationals within 24 hours can be made in a number of ways to make the notification as convenient as possible:
  • In person at the respective office, or
  • Through an authorised person at the respective office, or
  • By registered mail, or
  • Via internet.
The law is titled :: Notification of residence of foreigners for businesses :: But I guess I unfortunately see their interpretation where it states "House owner".
My interpretation is that businesses report using the TM. 30 and private just report some how but report they do.

So.....I think the best way forward might be to completely ignore all this nonsense on the basis that it is likely to be another 4 years before I (or my wife actually) am caught out again. 800 baht every 4 years ain't that expensive.

Every time a foreigner stays over night other than his home, the owner must travel to immigration and report the absence and return.
You can easily be caught out if where you stayed reports that you stayed in their hotel etc. If not, they cop a hefty fine.
What a shithole of a place.

You can easily be caught out if where you stayed reports that you stayed in their hotel etc. If not, they cop a hefty fine.
What a shithole of a place.

"You" cannot be caught out, Surin, it's the accommodation owner who will be at fault.

By the way Johnb, I've had Danny on the phone panicking this morning. What have you told him?

Last edited:
I'm talking about collating the fact you didn't stay a night or more in your home and in fact you stayed overnight where it has been reported. Now most photocopy your passport and also enter it on the info given to police that either get guests bookings or hotel inspection rounds.

"You" cannot be caught out, Surin, it's the accommodation owner who will be a fault.

By the way Johnb, I've had Danny on the phone panicking this morning. What have you told him?
Since then, Yorky, I have given him a printed copy of the TM30 for his lady to complete and return to the Immigration Office.

I'm talking about collating the fact you didn't stay a night or more in your home and in fact you stayed overnight where it has been reported. Now most photocopy your passport and also enter it on the info given to police that either get guests bookings or hotel inspection rounds.

In reality that is only a superficial exercise.

I would guarantee that the info that the hotels take NEVER gets back to Kap Choeng - yes, there are central records but I seriously doubt that this information gets onto expats files.

Many times I have presented a driving licence instead of a passport and on many occasions when I have booked rooms for others (that I am traveling with) only my passport has been requested.

John was an opportunity because he had left the country and returned and his return should have been reported by his wife. Never heard of that happening at KCI before BUT, it is the requirement and the IO did not act incorrectly.

Just another wheeze to be aware of.

Indeed, Coco. Well put.
Had I gone alone to KCI on Tuesday, no doubt all would have passed off without incident.
As I admitted that herself was in the car, it was an opportunity for the officer to apply the law in a fashion that probably 90% of 90 day reporters in the same position as I avoid.
It could all be far worse and so I have no bitter juices churning around. Life, as they say, is far too short.

Back