Two more deaths suspected from dengue in Surin province

But why the yellow light and not a normal (cheaper) one?

Bottom line is a lamp of any type does sweet fork all. unless you have a high voltage zapper in front of it. A yellow lamp on it's own does nothing to stop pesky flying bugs at night but if you add an white lamp to it a short distance away , then it works. I do not understand the mechanism but I set up an experiment for an entomologist to this specification and observed this action actually working. I have this on my bungalow in Sikhor and the locals are amazed how it works. You turn any one of the two off and the insects swarm in.

Just some thoughts:

Different colours have different light-wave frequencies. Although white light is, in theory, composed of every colour, our manufacturing limitations are unlikely to produce pure white light, and the wave frequency produced will be different to "yellow" light as a result.

Insect wings are mostly transparent, just as are soap bubbles, and water with a drop or two of petrol/gas floating on the surface. We see iridescent colour variations on the surfaces of the bubbles and the petrol/water due to (colour) wave interference - a situation where the upper and lower surfaces of the bubbles and the water reflect the colour waves at different rates - rather like two small pebbles a small distance apart dropped into water causing concentric rings with different centres. The ripples in one set of rings will interfere with those from the other set. With light waves, this interference manifests itself as iridescence.
iridescent_soap_bubble.jpg

8124256-iridescence-of-oil.jpg

As with the iridescence moving on the bubbles, I fancy that a similar effect occurs on the wings of insects, causing light and colour flashes that affect the insects' navigational abilities - unbalancing them in effect. Bats employ echo-sounding to identify obstructions, but insects are believed to react to these light and colour flashes in a negative way which results in their seeking to avoid them.

My reasoning is therefore that the mosquitos will be attracted if light of a single frequency is used, whether that be "white" or yellow, but adding different coloured lights - with different frequencies - drives them away.

It may be a load of rubbish - or there may be a grain of sense in it :)

Last edited:
Just some thoughts:

Different colours have different light-wave frequencies. Although white light is, in theory, composed of every colour, our manufacturing limitations are unlikely to produce pure white light, and the wave frequency produced will be different to "yellow" light as a result.

Insect wings are mostly transparent, just as are soap bubbles, and water with a drop or two of petrol/gas floating on the surface. We see iridescent colour variations on the surfaces of the bubbles and the petrol/water due to (colour) wave interference - a situation where the upper and lower surfaces of the bubbles and the water reflect the colour waves at different rates - rather like two small pebbles a small distance apart dropped into water causing concentric rings with different centres. The ripples in one set of rings will interfere with those from the other set. With light waves, this interference manifests itself as iridescence.
iridescent_soap_bubble.jpg

8124256-iridescence-of-oil.jpg

As with the iridescence moving on the bubbles, I fancy that a similar effect occurs on the wings of insects, causing light and colour flashes that affect the insects' navigational abilities - unbalancing them in effect. Bats employ echo-sounding to identify obstructions, but insects are believed to react to these light and colour flashes in a negative way which results in their seeking to avoid them.

My reasoning is therefore that the mosquitos will be attracted if light of a single frequency is used, whether that be "white" or yellow, but adding different coloured lights - with different frequencies - drives them away.

It may be a load of rubbish - or there may be a grain of sense in it :)
Most plausible explanation I have heard, very good.

Dengue fever cases over 50,000 in 2018

By The Thaiger

Thailand health officials say the country has topped the 50,000 mark with dengue fever cases so far in 2018.

According to the Ministry of Health’s Bureau of Epidemiology, a total of 50,079 cases have been reported from the 77 provinces up to August 27. 65 of those cases died from complications related to the disease.

The areas where you are most likely to contract dengue include Phuket, Nakorn Pathom, Phichit, Maehongsorn and Krabi.

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/news/national/dengue-fever-cases-over-50000-in-2018

If I can add my Tuppence worth.
On the southwest coast of the South Island in New Zealand they are plagued by millions of sandflies. For years the people have eaten Marmite or Vegemite for to stop the sandflies from biting them.
When I came to Thailand I tried eating marmite and or vegemite to stop the Mossies. It works for me. I have never been bitten.
The only reason I can think it works is because both contain yeast and that gets into the pores of the skin. Yeast might do the same thing. I eat a teaspoon of vegemite or marmite a week. I have mine on toast. Sometimes I will put a one teaspoon into warm water and drink it.
I hope this will help others if you care to try.

If I can add my Tuppence worth.
On the southwest coast of the South Island in New Zealand they are plagued by millions of sandflies. For years the people have eaten Marmite or Vegemite for to stop the sandflies from biting them.
When I came to Thailand I tried eating marmite and or vegemite to stop the Mossies. It works for me. I have never been bitten.
The only reason I can think it works is because both contain yeast and that gets into the pores of the skin. Yeast might do the same thing. I eat a teaspoon of vegemite or marmite a week. I have mine on toast. Sometimes I will put a one teaspoon into warm water and drink it.
I hope this will help others if you care to try.

I bought marmite at tops some days ago based on your post. Have taken a couple of tea spoon , and I feel that the mosquito are less annoying after one day. I still gonna try this as a solution for the mosquitos.

When I built the dog house earlier this year I also started lighting a 12 hour mosquito coil each evening. This coil is positioned on a wall, just under the eve of the roof to the dog house. Before, Emily (Golden Lab) used to suffer from mosquito bites but now she never does. Bruno (Black Lab) who joined the family as a puppy has never been bothered by mosquito bites either. The dog house is just outside the main front door to the house. This practice seems to keep the dogs bite free and minimises the number of mosquitoes entering the house too. Seems to work well for us.

upload_2018-9-12_20-19-13.png

upload_2018-9-12_20-15-10.png Lit on the right hand, end retaining wall.

When I built the dog house earlier this year I also started lighting a 12 hour mosquito coil each evening. This coil is positioned on a wall, just under the eve of the roof to the dog house. Before, Emily (Golden Lab) used to suffer from mosquito bites but now she never does. Bruno (Black Lab) who joined the family as a puppy has never been bothered by mosquito bites either. The dog house is just outside the main front door to the house. This practice seems to keep the dogs bite free and minimises the number of mosquitoes entering the house too. Seems to work well for us.

View attachment 23910

View attachment 23909 Lit on the right hand, end retaining wall.
Is that the official Lab report then. ? :rolleyes: Being Lab tested and all. !

Back