UK Government Petition

Thought of that yesterday but a trip to BKK would probably be required. Marriage is out of the equation, not that desperate yet, so probably sell some shares and put 800k in the bank
When is your renewal date? Don't forget the need to season your money for at least 3 months.

Be careful selling shares. The UK FTSE is very low at the moment. Might pick up once Brexit has settled. FTSE has hardly moved over 3 years. Depends what you have of course.

Be careful selling shares. The UK FTSE is very low at the moment. Might pick up once Brexit has settled. FTSE has hardly moved over 3 years. Depends what you have of course.

I agree it’s dipped a little recently but it’s almost at historic highs

Nothing technical.

It is not the visa that gets extended, it is the permission to stay.

A visa simply offers the right to enter a country, it is then down to immigration officials to determine whether to grant entry - and for how long. Once a visa has been stamped "used", that is exactly what it means; it is finished, it's purpose has been served; each visa has a 'use before' date which also time limits it's validity.

Those people residing in Thailand on extensions invariably do so off the back of an existing visa - the permission to stay under the terms of the visa gets converted to a permission to stay by virtue of extension (by reason of marriage/retirement etc). The mechanism for that is completion of a TM7 'Application for extension of temporary stay in the Kingdom' - upon approval the permission to stay is extended (usually) for 12 months. It is this permission that we 'renew' each year by completing a new TM7.

If Yorky (or anyone else) had a visa they could move freely in and out of the country; he hasn't, he can't. If he wants to leave the country he has to obtain a re-entry permit to keep his permission to stay live.

Alan the Builder can move freely in and out of the country because he has a visa. That visa is valid for 12 months and upon expiry it cannot be renewed, a new visa has to obtained (from Savannakhet, the only consul in the region that issues multiple entry Non-Immigrant 'O' visas).

Thank you for finally elucidating your thoughts on this matter. It seems to have a logical construct. "BUT", I believe that it is flawed due to every entry visa has different rules regarding your stay. I also believe the rules of your entry visa apply to your extension of stay. Are you stating that there is a specific class of rules applied for an extension of stay? So your entry visa rules no longer apply.
The original visa you first entered on for ever and a day ago maybe "Used" but it is still valid as that is the rules of your stay. Otherwise they would not copy your ancient entry visa to your new passport.
In my opinion you are getting hooked up on a technicality of terms. Mind you I am no expert, I am just piecing this together logically. I have been horribly wrong in the past, as logic and Thai law have a non-symbiotic relationship.

Thank you for finally elucidating your thoughts on this matter. It seems to have a logical construct. "BUT", I believe that it is flawed due to every entry visa has different rules regarding your stay. I also believe the rules of your entry visa apply to your extension of stay. Are you stating that there is a specific class of rules applied for an extension of stay? So your entry visa rules no longer apply.
The original visa you first entered on for ever and a day ago maybe "Used" but it is still valid as that is the rules of your stay. Otherwise they would not copy your ancient entry visa to your new passport.
In my opinion you are getting hooked up on a technicality of terms. Mind you I am no expert, I am just piecing this together logically. I have been horribly wrong in the past, as logic and Thai law have a non-symbiotic relationship.

I am not convinced that logic even exists in Thailand.

Incorrect - they only copy 'details' of the original visa i.e. as a source document.

The rules for obtaining an extension of stay are wholly different to the criteria for obtaining a visa.

Immigration have been known to 'convert' from a visa exempt entry to an extension of permission to stay.................... where is your visa in those circumstances?

Rice, if I said show me your visa - what would you show me ?

Yorky would show me one that is so expired it has mould growing on it! :grinning:

Last edited:
As others have taken this off topic (quite usefully to an important subject), I will continue.

My permission to stay expires on 19th June 2019. That is an extension based on retirement.

That timing no longer matches my travel plans and in 2019 I shall depart Thailand on 13th May, returning on 13th July.

I have no option but to let the extension 'lapse' and start again when I return.

It is likely that I will opt for a multiple-entry Tourist visa and extend the permission to stay on that. I prefer a January/February renewal date so I will likely obtain a Non-Imm 'O' single entry visa at some point and apply for an extension on that.

Incorrect - they only copy 'details' of the original visa i.e. as a source document.

The rules for obtaining an extension of stay are wholly different to the criteria for obtaining a visa.

Immigration have been known to 'convert' from a visa exempt entry to an extension of permission to stay.................... where is your visa in those circumstances?

Not that I can argue as my limited knowledge is now exhausted. Ok , As you say then. Where are the rules for your extension of stay then? :p:p:p
They must be in that book of policy. The one and only. I am the only person that has ever seen it to my knowledge, that is. Anybody else like to put up their hand.
Bye the way the rules for obtaining an extension of stay and the conditions of stay of a grant are two different things.

Again I am not certain but what I know is that in these circumstances which they have changed "Officially" only recently you are given an O visa first then you get an extension of stay when that expires. This is what was done for a Forum member only recently. I think a visa of stay on a visa exempt is impossible. Citation is needed on this claim. Your argument based on firm logic is starting to slip.

I am sorry as well for the miss direction of the OP. Normal programming may resume.

My permission to stay expires on 19th June 2019. That is an extension based on retirement.

That timing no longer matches my travel plans and in 2019 I shall depart Thailand on 13th May, returning on 13th July.

I have no option but to let the extension 'lapse' and start again when I return.

You could apply for the extension of stay before you leave.

I don’t think there are any hard and fast rules here in LoS. My ‘passive’ teerak (with authority not with me) told me I was facing a fine and visa expulsion until she brought our baby into the conversation. So they make things up whimsically

I don’t think there are any hard and fast rules here in LoS. My ‘passive’ teerak (with authority not with me) told me I was facing a fine and visa expulsion until she brought our baby into the conversation. So they make things up whimsically

No they don't; they have Police Orders and Immigration rules.

The fact that such laws/rules are not consistently applied is another matter.

https://www.immigration.go.th/content/service_22

You could apply for the extension of stay before you leave.

No I cannot, there is not enough time.

I make that comment from the basis of fact - although you will no doubt try and debate it! :blush:

Back