UK New Tax Calculation

Despite being 21 years into the 21st century, HMRC regrettably only pay refunds by cheque. When this is eventually received, via snail mail in Thailand, Nomad will have to present it to his Thai bank, and it will take up to 6 weeks before the money appears on his account, converted to Thai baht on the day it is credited. Maybe the exchange rate will be 50 by then! :)
Not necessarily so. It seems they can now pay online. This is what I received when I logged on this morning.

1623662187781.png

The actual amount blocked to save me from scroungers! ;;bad simle;;

The next page shows this:

1623662353303.png

I sent a cheque as a loan to a friend about 10 years ago (ex-friend now as he never reimbursed me). It was an RBSI cheque and he said it took 4 weeks to clear.

You didn't send him a UK cheque - HMRC send UK cheques.

UK cheques paid into a UK bank take maximum 4 days.

'International' cheques into a UK account take 4-6 weeks

Despite being 21 years into the 21st century, HMRC regrettably only pay refunds by cheque. When this is eventually received, via snail mail in Thailand, Nomad will have to present it to his Thai bank, and it will take up to 6 weeks before the money appears on his account, converted to Thai baht on the day it is credited. Maybe the exchange rate will be 50 by then! :)

Nomad has corrected you - and he is right. Certainly where personal refunds are concerned - I think the example you are referring to is a third party refund.

Nomad has corrected you - and he is right. Certainly where personal refunds are concerned - I think the example you are referring to is a third party refund.
1623663349322.png

I've been in touch with my sister and I will try using her bank account. However, she is indisposed at the moment, swimming in the sea and sunning herself on the beach. My home town does have some beautiful beaches and it's a lovely day on the south coast. Who needs Spain when the weather is like this? I'll get her details later, once she returns home. :) :) :)

You didn't send him a UK cheque - HMRC send UK cheques.

UK cheques paid into a UK bank take maximum 4 days.

'International' cheques into a UK account take 4-6 weeks

I didn't realise there was a difference between a cheque issued by a British bank and a UK cheque.

I didn't realise there was a difference between a cheque issued by a British bank and a UK cheque.

There isn't.

Unless the British bank is based offshore, then it will not have a UK sort code.

There isn't.

Unless the British bank is based offshore, then it will not have a UK sort code.

Still, possibly 5½ weeks difference to clear appears excessive. I don't suppose the funds remain in the payer's bank account until clearance is achieved?

I will never forget a guy called Luke in Waddington's (or a similar name), Leeds who were administrating the PPF at the time. He sent an email to me explaining that the reason my pension takes 7 days to arrive in my bank in Thailand is that I live so far away!

I will never forget a guy called Luke in Waddington's (or a similar name), Leeds who were administrating the PPF at the time. He sent an email to me explaining that the reason my pension takes 7 days to arrive in my bank in Thailand is that I live so far away!
Pony Express?

Have you considered the time taken for the cheque to reach the UK from Thailand?

My ex-mate hand deposited the cheque into his bank in Manchester and was then told that it would take at least 4 weeks to clear. I cannot remember how long the cheque took to arrive into his hands but I would guess not more than a week - but that is irrelevant.

A friend's airmail took just over a week to get to Thailand
The trouble with HMRC and other organisations, they use brown envelopes that are not franked for airmail. Most of my official mail has been taking the best part of a month to arrive in Thailand. That was the main reason I opted for online letters from HMRC and not posted letters.

By the way, the mission was successful. I used my sister's UK address and bank account to process my refund. This was the message I received.

1623685176100.png

I received two mandates on the same day. One was a refund warrant for my late mother's Premium Bonds, and the other was a cheque from my UK bank for excessive charges levied against my account way back in 2012 which I hadn't requested.

I'd asked for the Premium Bond repayment after she died in 2009. Despite having completed the correct form and submitted a copy death certificate, it had seemingly been ignored. I repeated the request in 2012 having mislaid the copy documents in moving here. Not long afterwards, they sent me a warrant. Theirs have a 90 days validity. It took six weeks to arrive here before I was able to deposit it in my Thai bank. The latter then sent it to their head office in Bangkok to process. Barclay's clearing house in the UK wrote back to my bank's h/o to say that by the time they received it, the warrant was invalid as the 90 days had expired. I mislaid the documents again, including the returned warrant, when I moved house here, but it surfaced again in April this year. I phoned National Savings and Investments and explained the predicament: that issuing a further warrant would probably result in the process being bounced again by Barclays clearing system because of the slow postal service, Covid delays, and the same 90 days lifetime of the warrant. They asked me to confirm the details by post, despite my telling them that international post was being refused by the THai postal service because of Covid. I asked if they would transfer the money into my UK bank account instead. NBC (no bloody chance.) Surprisingly, I received a further warrant here after another 6 weeks, dated just 2 days after that phone call... I called them to complain, and repeated the request for money to be transferred to my UK bank account for the same reasons as before. The pillock on the phone then asked me to write to them again... you couldn't make it up! I asked to speak to his supervisor but that person doesn't take phone calls! I repeated the request stating that the message on their phone system assures callers that their money is safe with NS&I because it is linked to the Treasury... but that the assurance is worthless if after 12 years of waiting, it isn't possible to receive a payment from them as the warrant system is failed by the postal service. I was told to stay on the line while he spoke to his colleague again. My phone's battery died 38 minutes later, cutting the connection. The matter is still unresolved.

The second mandate, the cheque from HSBC in the UK, resulted in my calling them as well. I asked why they hadn't simply transferred the payment to my UK account. The reply made little sense, but they did agree to make the transfer, and that I should expect that to be done WITHIN 28 DAYS! Why the hell it should take that long when I can access funds in that account on the same day that I request it electronically was beyond him and me too.

Why, in this day and age of electronic banking, can't these organisations perform reasonably when repaying money owed?

Finally, HMRC refunded the small amount of income tax that I had overpaid in 2019/20. It was transferred directly to my UK bank account within a few days of submitting my last self assessment in January 2021. See? It can be done.

Some story @Merlin. And you still have not received the value of your late mother's Premium Bonds. I wish you luck and hope that matter is resolved before too long.

Apart from my own premium bonds, where regular as clockwork I receive a £25 winning payment nearly every month paid direct to my UK bank account, I have had 2 official dealings with the premium bond office in connection with 2 widows I was assistig.

On the first occasion a UK family member had cashed in the bonds, which should have been payable to the Thai widow. They indicated they would request the return of the payment made to the UK family member, then pay the widow. I would have none of that -their mistake, they must pay the widow immediately, and claim back the money if they could, They complied.

On the more recent 2nd occasion, the bonds were cancelled upon instruction from the UK solicitor handling the probate. That took 4 months and having obtained probate I wrested control away from the solicitor and indicated that I would obtain the assets and distribute accordingly. The premium bond office paid up quickly, advising that since the death there had been 3 winning bonds (despite their supposed cancellation), and added in the prize money.

Apart from my own premium bonds, where regular as clockwork I receive a £25 winning payment nearly every month paid direct to my UK bank account, I have had 2 official dealings with the premium bond office in connection with 2 widows I was assistig.

On the first occasion a UK family member had cashed in the bonds, which should have been payable to the Thai widow. They indicated they would request the return of the payment made to the UK family member, then pay the widow. I would have none of that -their mistake, they must pay the widow immediately, and claim back the money if they could, They complied.

On the more recent 2nd occasion, the bonds were cancelled upon instruction from the UK solicitor handling the probate. That took 4 months and having obtained probate I wrested control away from the solicitor and indicated that I would obtain the assets and distribute accordingly. The premium bond office paid up quickly, advising that since the death there had been 3 winning bonds (despite their supposed cancellation), and added in the prize money.

Just a slight correction to Nick's first story because the Premium Bond office were actually proactively helpful.

Fortunately on this case I happened to be in the UK at the time and called the bond office. Explaining that I was acting on behalf of the widow I was told that a claim had already been paid out to the next of kin. I suggested that the holder's widow was the next of kin (and beneficiary).

"We didn't know Mr H had a wife.." they said.

That is strange, said I, because the Thai death certificate clearly states that he was married.

"Just a moment sir, I need to speak to my manager"

Within a couple of minutes this voice came on the line and said "Mr Bingham, I am terribly sorry but we have made a mistake. The £20,000? will be sent to your account today and will seek to reclaim the money from the fraudulent claimant".

Refreshing honesty; they had f**ked up and knew it but, more importantly, were prepared to admit it. True to their word, the repayment was made that day.

Just a slight correction to Nick's first story because the Premium Bond office were actually proactively helpful.

Fortunately on this case I happened to be in the UK at the time and called the bond office. Explaining that I was acting on behalf of the widow I was told that a claim had already been paid out to the next of kin. I suggested that the holder's widow was the next of kin (and beneficiary).

"We didn't know Mr H had a wife.." they said.

That is strange, said I, because the Thai death certificate clearly states that he was married.

"Just a moment sir, I need to speak to my manager"

Within a couple of minutes this voice came on the line and said "Mr Bingham, I am terribly sorry but we have made a mistake. The £20,000? will be sent to your account today and will seek to reclaim the money from the fraudulent claimant".

Refreshing honesty; they had f**ked up and knew it but, more importantly, were prepared to admit it. True to their word, the repayment was made that day.
Can you imagine that happening in Thailand?

Can you imagine that happening in Thailand?
Last year, the app to extend my Football subscription was not working properly. The first time we tried to pay online, the app showed the money did not go through. So, we tried again. Flash-bang, gone in seconds. Checked the credit card statement only to find there were 2 subscriptions debited to SWMBO's account. What happened after that was a complete nightmare trying to get a refund out of TrueVisions. Emails and phone calls over a period of 2 or 3 months. Yes, Ivor, they can take money off your credit card in nanoseconds but take months to give a refund. :rage:

Back