UK Pension Service - Life Certificate

nomad97

Resident Geek
I have just received my second letter from the UK Pension Service in 2 years asking me to complete a 'Life Certificate' confirming that I am still alive. As before, they ask that a responsible person from a list of professions countersign the form. Do Thai Widows & Expats have the necessary standing to countersign these forms and, if so, how much to they charge for this service.

P.S. The last time I received such a letter I seem to remember that most other UK Expats receiving a State Pension received similar requests at the same time too.

I have just signed five of these.

They must be having their 2 year purge at the DWP.

The number is not likely to be excessive and I quite happy, at the moment, to sign these without charge.

Nomad, I will PM you with the way forward; if any other Brit receives one of these life certificates please PM me.

I appreciate that you may not believe this, but I am considered a responsible person within that list. And I live just around the corner!

I can't think why I didn't think of you first Yorky....................:blush:

Your countersignatory must either:

• work in (or be retired from) a recognised profession
  • be ‘a person of good standing in their community’

Examples of recognised professions include:

• accountant
  • airline pilot
  • articled clerk of a limited company
  • assurance agent of recognised company
  • bank/building society official
  • barrister
  • chairman/director of limited company
  • chiropodist
  • commissioner for oaths
  • councillor, eg local or county
  • civil servant (permanent)
  • dentist
  • director/manager/personnel officer of a VAT-registered company
  • engineer - with professional qualifications
  • financial services intermediary, eg a stockbroker or insurance broker
  • fire service official
  • funeral director
  • insurance agent (full time) of a recognised company
  • journalist
  • Justice of the Peace
  • legal secretary - fellow or associate member of the Institute of Legal Secretaries and PAs
  • licensee of public house
  • local government officer
  • manager/personnel officer of a limited company
  • member, associate or fellow of a professional body
  • Member of Parliament
  • Merchant Navy officer
  • minister of a recognised religion - including Christian Science
  • nurse - RGN or RMN
  • officer of the armed services
  • optician
  • paralegal - certified paralegal, qualified paralegal or associate member of the Institute of Paralegals
  • person with honours, eg an OBE or MBE
  • pharmacist
  • photographer - professional
  • police officer
  • Post Office official
  • president/secretary of a recognised organisation
  • Salvation Army officer
  • social worker
  • solicitor
  • surveyor
  • teacher, lecturer
  • trade union officer
  • travel agent - qualified
  • valuer or auctioneer - fellows and associate members of the incorporated society
  • Warrant Officers and Chief Petty Officers

Although I feature in that list one must consider the two words:

"Examples" and "include".

Academic Yorky, I am sure that you qualify on the 'good standing' criteria.

I received a request for proof of life from Department of Pensions yesterday. I prevailed upon a Thai tennis chum from a distinguished profession to be my witness. As Coco says, they must be doing a purge.

I received a request for proof of life from Department of Pensions yesterday. I prevailed upon a Thai tennis chum from a distinguished profession to be my witness. As Coco says, they must be doing a purge.

I too received the letter -first in 7 years. My former employer have requested 2 since I turned 65

I too received the letter -first in 7 years. My former employer have requested 2 since I turned 65

Last year I received the request from my company pension provider around mid December, dated November (no specific date) requesting that I respond latest 31 st December. I advised them by email that they may not receive the completed form by that date given that the Christmas post would play a part; but I posted it anyway and also attached a scan of the form to the email. In February I was informed that the scan was sufficient because they had not received the original in the post. Last month, I received an email requesting that I send the original again in the post in order to keep their records up to date.

According to Nick's list of occupations, I still retain the rank of Squadron Leader and should be an acceptable witness. Unless things have changed, I do not have to put (ret'd) after my rank. Junior officers below that rank have to put (ret'd) after their rank.

So, I am just around the corner and if you need a signature please ask. Could I countersign my own Life Certificate, I am qualified and still alive? Just asking, LOL.

I'll sign it, what is it?

I'm on the list, I don't know why it doesn't say just get it signed by anyone!!

I hope I live long enough to get a few of those letters!!

Back