UK Pension Service - Life Certificate

Don't beat about the bush, DWP - the "life certificate" is to confirm that you are still ALIVE!

To be fair I think it also asks about changed circumstances.................. although the title of the form is actually quite revealing.

QED, Coco. I just find it a bit odd that the information leaflet accompanying my proof of life letter did not have a list of suitable witnesses consistent with the passport list.

I will feed that back to the DWP.

An Outline of UK Passport and Visa Photo Requirements
UK-Passport-and-Visa-Photos.gif

• A close-up of full head and shoulders.
Visit: UK Government Website.

Will this one do?

upload_2016-7-1_23-24-26.png

I ve also rec d "Life Cert"to be completed.
The Ist para seems to indicate,we re singled out because we live abroad & if we lived in the UK,they wouldn t write,which is grossly unfair,like most things
to do with the Pensn/Serv.
I ve seen the long list of people eligible to sign as witness compared to the short list given in my CFN698.However,the L/Cert requires an"Official Stamp of
Witness" which seems to exclude most retirees from signing!
Finally,the L/Cert has to be retd to a West Mids address instead of Newcastle which could mean the "L/Cert"being lost between buildings. I remember they
mislaid stuff before!
Any thoughts on the way forward?

Personally Alan, I'd ignore the requirement for "Official Stamp". I have always done before.

Regarding returning it in the post, I would only return a copy and hold on to the original. I would also email a copy to them.

[Edit: If you die in UK there's a good chance that DWP will find out. If you die over here it could be kept quiet for years if not for this "Life Certificate".]

Personally Alan, I'd ignore the requirement for "Official Stamp". I have always done before.

Regarding returning it in the post, I would only return a copy and hold on to the original. I would also email a copy to them.

[Edit: If you die in UK there's a good chance that DWP will find out. If you die over here it could be kept quiet for years if not for this "Life Certificate".]

If you die in Thailand, the British Embassy need to be informed, and give permission for the funeral. They appear to notify the DWP of the death also. Invariably many months after death, the DWP send a demand for 2/3 weeks overpayment of pension to be repaid. By that time, and on behalf of the widows we are helping, we advise that there was no estate, and the money was used for funeral expenses. It is written off.

The Ist para seems to indicate,we re singled out because we live abroad & if we lived in the UK,they wouldn t write,which is grossly unfair,like most things
I ve seen the long list of people eligible to sign as witness compared to the short list given in my CFN698.However,the L/Cert requires an"Official Stamp of
Finally,the L/Cert has to be retd to a West Mids address instead of Newcastle which could mean the "L/Cert"being lost between buildings. I remember they
mislaid stuff before!

A stamp is only required if the signing is done by one of the professional bodies shown on the Pension Service List. Someone from the long list does not need to stamp - in fact is is unlikely that most will have a stamp.

Just keep a copy, and send it off to wherever it has to go. Even if it should arrive late, your pension will be reinstated and backdated if by chance it is cancelled.

mislaid stuff before!

I have personally certified two Life Certificates for people with a UK address. They were living in Thailand but the DWP didn't know that. They have since come clean.

I have an "official stamp".................. it cost me 100 Baht + the cost of the black ink pad.

All DWP International post goes back to Wolverhampton and (I believe) is scanned from there to work boxes in Newcastle. It is a post sorting/forwarding unit.

I have never seen, or heard, of a problem except where someone sent post registered/signed for which Wolverhampton. If yours does not get there you will soon know within 8 weeks. In the unlikely event of that happening I would suggest you take a photocopy or scan a copy to yourself.

Just complete the form Alan, have it certified, and send it back by air mail.

May I suggest that if you intend to send the original form in the mail, then you take a copy of the "blank" form before completing it in order that, should it be lost, you will be able to complete another "original". Maybe I'm paranoid but I have suffered the loss of important mail 3 times in the last year (although two were as a result of incompetence at the receiving end).

I see that England International footballers are not listed. Was this a recent omision?

I have personally certified two Life Certificates for people with a UK address. They were living in Thailand but the DWP didn't know that. They have since come clean.

I have now received mine and it specifically states that "Because you live outside of the United Kingdom (UK) and receive a UK State Pension you must now send us proof that we should be still paying you".

Maybe they only say this if your address is outside of the UK?

I have now received mine and it specifically states that "Because you live outside of the United Kingdom (UK) and receive a UK State Pension you must now send us proof that we should be still paying you".

Maybe they only say this if your address is outside of the UK?

I expect so, else it would not be relevant, would it? Obviously they wouldn't write "Because you live outside of the United Kingdom ...." and then send it to someone who lived in Yorkshire. On second thoughts, they might just do that, ey lad?.

The form is sent out from the International Pension Centre in Newcastle.

I guess that is a bit of a clue................... and, maybe, form CF(N)698 is only for overseas use.

I do not recall the number of the form that I signed for those 2 cases in the UK.

I have now received a further request from my private pension provider to supply another original of the certificate that I emailed to them last year (the original was lost in the post).

I have had it signed by a Thai schoolteacher.

I have now received a further request from my private pension provider to supply another original of the certificate that I emailed to them last year (the original was lost in the post).

I have had it signed by a Thai schoolteacher.
I also had a request from one of my private pension providers - a friend of mine, a retired police officer (English) signed that for me, no stamp but a certificate of service attached instead. I am waiting to see if that is accepted by them.

I also had a request from one of my private pension providers - a friend of mine, a retired police officer (English) signed that for me, no stamp but a certificate of service attached instead. I am waiting to see if that is accepted by them.

Young PC Grace certified one of mine last year. All he included in addition to his name and address was his Police badge number. No problem.

Back