UK Pensions

Do you think so?

Most expats I've met arrived in Thailand before state pension age. Living off their personal wealth. Investments, private pensions, rent from properties in their own countries.

I'd never really considered people living here on govt pension alone. I'd have thought immigration rules would be an issue, for those from UK anyway.
Depends. Quite a few I've met live well on their government pension AND their work pensions. I've also met some who seem to do well on just their US Social Security money (around 2K USD a month coming in, plus usually a small work pension). Depends on how they want to live their retirement years here. Rent is cheap enough, food and electric etc, especially if they do not use much air con most days. Most in that level use a motorbike for transport, or bus, tuk tuk, motorbike taxi etc. A couple different guys I know of live in a small decent house right on the beach. Cheap rent too. As long as they have enough in the bank each year for the visa requirements they do alright. 1K USD for living expenses, and around 1K USD saved each month is doable if you are not needing the hiso lifestyle. Once they have the visa money in the bank it just sits there for their yearly visa requirements and they don't touch it, or need to. Many are older and have no Thai families and wives to support. And their hormones at their age are usually no longer raging and requiring much to sate their desires. :) Medical care is what does some of them in if they require expensive treatments. I've known a few who ended up leaving due to medical issues, serious issues that were above their means. They go back home for the US Medicare or the UK health care, or AUS free care (Canada too.)

Last edited:
Medical care is what does some of them in if they require expensive treatments. I've known a few who ended up leaving due to medical issues, serious issues that were above their means. They go back home for the US Medicare or the UK health care, or AUS free care (Canada too.)

Spot on, Cent.
Unfortunately some die or inadvertently kill themselves due to neglect of health issues, misunderstanding their own personal health conditions or a lack of an affordable personal healthcare provider (nurse, companion).

As well mental health deterioration or neglect brings a poorer associated health outcome.

"Honey, did you remember to take your medications today ?"
"My what ?"

Spot on, Cent.
Unfortunately some die or inadvertently kill themselves due to neglect of health issues, misunderstanding their own personal health conditions or a lack of an affordable personal healthcare provider (nurse, companion).

As well mental health deterioration or neglect brings a poorer associated health outcome.

"Honey, did you remember to take your medications today ?"
"My what ?"
Some do themselves no help due to overconsumption of alcohol. It just becomes a daily habit many are used to from their youth. As you age it is not helpful.

We all know this will never happen! As we also know why the age is lifted all the time. The input of funds cannot sustain the output so it is fiddled so it does at the detriment of the majority. All you need is good health and a career that did not destroy you physically. You too can collect the pension before you die.

THIS WAS ALWAYS GOING TO HAPPEN.
I was aware of this in my 20s. That's why I am not on a state pension. The state pension age in Australia has been 68 for some time now and thanks to the feminist movement women' s earlier retirement then men was removed. 555

We all know this will never happen! As we also know why the age is lifted all the time. The input of funds cannot sustain the output so it is fiddled so it does at the detriment of the majority. All you need is good health and a career that did not destroy you physically. You too can collect the pension before you die.

THIS WAS ALWAYS GOING TO HAPPEN.
I was aware of this in my 20s. That's why I am not on a state pension. The state pension age in Australia has been 68 for some time now and thanks to the feminist movement women' s earlier retirement then men was removed. 555
Perhaps @Rice can comment. I have recently been told that Australia (like the Netherlands) pays a higher "state pension" to single people and somewhat lower if they are married. An Australian who died a year or so back claimed a single persons pension as he believed a Thai marriage certificate was invalid in Australia. His Thai widow has been left with nothing. A Dutchie also claimed a single pension despite being married to a Thai. The authorities found out and made him pay back the excess pension paid. He is now about to divorce his Thai wife so he can claim the higher pension (about 50% higher)

Perhaps @Rice can comment. I have recently been told that Australia (like the Netherlands) pays a higher "state pension" to single people and somewhat lower if they are married. An Australian who died a year or so back claimed a single persons pension as he believed a Thai marriage certificate was invalid in Australia. His Thai widow has been left with nothing. A Dutchie also claimed a single pension despite being married to a Thai. The authorities found out and made him pay back the excess pension paid. He is now about to divorce his Thai wife so he can claim the higher pension (about 50% higher)
In Australia that is true as a single the pension plus other subsidies is $1,116.30 and $841.40 for couples each. There is assumed shared expense.
The belief a Thai marriage certificate was invalid in Australia it most certainly wrong. Although the sticker in the issue is that she would of had to be in Australia to receive her share or even a subsidy for her being a non citizen. I know somebody that was in this situation in Australia. She solved the problem by getting a well paid job. He subsequently lost his pension and now she does not see why she has to now pay to look after him and gives him no money. What a mess. She is Indonesian.

As it states not every job is equal in the stress it puts on your body. If you work in an office at a desk or whatever in an air conditioned space doing virtually no real physical labor you have a better chance of being able to work longer as you age. Those who actually do have jobs where they do physical labor of varying degrees, especially jobs out in the elements, have a lesser chance of being able to continue doing so after a certain age. Some have sturdier physiques and can work into their 70s, but those are rarer than the norm.

I had an uncle who worked into his 80s as a salesman. Selling is not an arduous job. He had to keep working as he made bad decisions throughout his career financially.

My thoughts are that most doing physical labor for their income start to deteriorate physically in their early 60s. The job itself that one does should be taken into consideration when talking about what age one should be able to retire. As well as their health issues incurred along their careers.

Back