UK Pensions

Of no f***ing interest to me, and hundreds of thousands others. We live as ex-pats and our state pensions are frozen and never increase with time. Not unless you are an ex-pat living in a few select countries, and Thailand isn't one of them. :mad::mad::mad:

Merlin-That list doesn t include all the EuroUnion countries,pre Brexit,After the vote June 16,Dave C said there wouldn t be any change. I was under the impression that since
Boris took us out,that the pensioners living in EuroLand were still getting the inflation increases.

Merlin-That list doesn t include all the EuroUnion countries,pre Brexit,After the vote June 16,Dave C said there wouldn t be any change. I was under the impression that since
Boris took us out,that the pensioners living in EuroLand were still getting the inflation increases.

Your UK State Pension will be increased each year in these countries in line with the rate paid in the UK.

That's quite correct, at least for now:

UK State Pension​

You can carry on receiving your UK State Pension if you move to live in the EU, EEA or Switzerland and you can still claim your UK State Pension from these countries.

Your UK State Pension will be increased each year in these countries in line with the rate paid in the UK.

( https://www.gov.uk/guidance/benefits-and-pensions-for-uk-nationals-in-the-eea-or-switzerland )

As a caution however, the Government's rules are a tad vague about what might happen if a country currently in the EU should subsequently leave the EU (similarly, one currently in the EEA but not in the EU leaving the EEA) They don't specify that you could claim your State Pension if those countries left too.

UK STATE PENSION PAYMENT DAYS

Payment days of state pensions are due to change in April 2022. Some people may find their payment comes a day or so later than now, whilst others will receive it a day or so earlier.

See details below..

Britons should look at the last two digits of their National Insurance number for guidance.
If these digits are between 00 and 19, the payment day is Monday.
Between 20 and 39 is Tuesday, and Wednesday is the day for those with numbers between 40 and 59.
When a person has numbers between 60 and 79, their payment date is likely to be a Thursday.
Finally, if digits fall between 80 and 99, then the state pension can be expected on a Friday.

For this reason, it is those who are paid on a Friday or a Monday who should pay attention.
This is due to upcoming bank holidays potentially changing the time at which a person is paid.
Good Friday this year falls on April 15, while Easter Monday is the following week on April 18.

These are bank holidays and are therefore likely to affect when the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) is operating.
The Government explains: “You might be paid earlier if your normal payment day is a bank holiday.”
The last working day before the Easter bank holiday weekend is Thursday, April 14.
Therefore, those expecting payment on Good Friday or Easter Monday are likely to be paid then.

UK STATE PENSION PAYMENT DAYS

Payment days of state pensions are due to change in April 2022. Some people may find their payment comes a day or so later than now, whilst others will receive it a day or so earlier.

Any idea why?

And will it also apply to PPF payments?

Hardly likely to cause any real problems

I cannot imagine that it will cause me problems but folks with regular monthly standing orders may need to address it.

I'll never forget the moron from Waddingham's (maybe should have been Waddington's) telling me (in writing) that the reason my PPF pension took 7/8 days to arrive in my bank is that I live so far away.

Dick 'ead!

I have noticed the change in payment days. I did wonder why the payment last month arrived one day later than usual. I enquired on Google and found the explanation provided by Nick.

Mine is in the bank 3rd of ever month like clocked work but I'm a YANK. ;;victory;;

My PPF is usually in my Thai bank on the first of every month even if the first is a Monday. If the first is a Sunday it arrives the previous Saturday. My OAP is paid four weekly therefore arrives into my IoM bank on different days ever month.

My PPF is usually in my Thai bank on the first of every month even if the first is a Monday. If the first is a Sunday it arrives the previous Saturday. My OAP is paid four weekly therefore arrives into my IoM bank on different days ever month.
If the 3rd is a holiday in USofA in will be deposited the 2nd

I will agree that your pension is paid every 4 weeks, or 28 days, but not on different days each month.

1646615676585.png

For example, if your pension was paid on the 1st of March, a Tuesday, it shoud be paid again on the 29th March, also a Tuesday. Last month, my pension was due on a Monday, the 21st of February, 28 days after the previous payment. However, it was not paid on that day but on the following day, Tuesday, the 22nd February. Puzzled, I Google 'Payment of State Pensions' and found the following.

1646616223016.png

On checking my National Insurance Number I discovered my due day was a Tuesday. As it happens, Tuesday is a better day than Monday and is not affected by Bank Holidays. However, delving further into the document, I found there were different rules for people living overseas.

Delays to payments around US bank holidays

If you live abroad and your payment is due in the same week as a US bank holiday, it could arrive one day late. This is because a US company processes these payments.

Indeed, there was a US Bank Holiday on Monday 21st of February, Presidents’ Day (3rd Monday in February, Monday, February 21, so that would also explain why my payment in February was one day late. I now await with interest to see what day it is paid this month, either Monday or Tuesday, 21st or 22nd of March. My guess is that it will be paid on Monday, 21st March. I will advise later.

Back