Under consideration for retirement extension.

It all sounds very sensible to me. We've been providing Immigration with our addresses for years.... and doubtless many people have continued to use an obsolete address. If the system is intended to keep a record of where farangs live, then checks should be made from time to time.

Now that the 90-day report can be made online, you could even do it from Qatar or Montenegro, and still use your Thai address!

But don't forget that you are fully entitled to have more than one address. I guess I do, for a start. I can give them 3 addresses at which I actually live, though only 2 of them are in Thailand.

This an email I received yesterday. I totally trust the source. Take this for what its worth.

"Went to the office at Dan Quaian.. the pottery village and talked with the supervisor there.. They knew all about Kapcheong and gave me the same explanation as Kapcheong did.. This isn’t anything that Kapcheong is doing on it’s own.. They were ordered by higher authority to put this into effect.. So far it’s only Kapcheong doing this but it’’s coming to the other offices as well, including Korat.. For whatever reason Kapcheong is the hot spot and the explanation is that it’s because they’re the closest one to the border.. Korat hasn’t gotten the order yet to start this.. How long that will last is anyone’s guess.. They’re being pretty closed mouthed about this one.. There is something going on along the Cambodian border and Issan.. Since I live fairly close to the border along with a lot of other guys we got tagged.. As for the money requirements that part is already in effect.. and has been for some time.. So if you don’t have the income for a retirement visa then go for the marriage visa.. They are really checking out the financial end of thing very throroughly.. They want to see where the money coming from and where it’s going to. There is a lot more paperwork to it and you will be under consideration for maybe a month or more so do that as early as possible.. From what I’m getting back the rule is that you can do it up to 45 days in advance.. I would call ahead and make sure.. If you can then start the paperwork then.. The only thing I can say after my meeting with the Kapcheong and Korat folks is that there’s a crackdown going on.. How long it will last and how many offices it will affect is unknown.. There was no prior warning of this to any of us or to them.. The order came down on a minutes notice and this is definitely coming from the powers to be up above.. but no one is talking and all of them are sticking to the same story and talking points.. So for at least this year I’ll go through this and then next year make my decision whether to stick with my retirement visa or change to a marriage visa.. The paperwork for the retirement visa is a lot less and easier to get approved.. Marriage visas are given a lot more scrutiny because of all the phony ones they’ve already found.. That’s all I’ve got for now.. I’ll update everyone further when I get more information.. That’s all I can say... Just a bit of food for thought.. I don’t care what you read on the boards or what anyone else tells you about them not being able to do this.. It’s their country and they’ll do whatever they want.. Right now they’re actively searching out people and bouncing them.. If anyone wants to argue, put up a fight, and not give them the information they’re asking for, don’t count on you extension being approved.. There seems to be a new wave of Nationalism being promoted by the present government here.. Thailand is for the thais and if the farangs have a problem with that they can leave.. It’s really as simple as that..."

And then I heard this yesterday reference KCI:

Marriage extension - 30 day stamp in the passport - awaiting approval.

After 30 days, the documentation still hadn't been sent to Khorat (or wherever).

"Come back in about 3 weeks"

"But what about another stamp?"

"Oh, it doesn't matter".

And then I heard this yesterday reference KCI:

Marriage extension - 30 day stamp in the passport - awaiting approval.

After 30 days, the documentation still hadn't been sent to Khorat (or wherever).

"Come back in about 3 weeks"

"But what about another stamp?"

"Oh, it doesn't matter".

Personally I thank that is BULL SHIT. I have never waited more than 2 weeks for approval as it goes no further than Korat. This is my forth marriage extension and all only took 2 weeks. The only reason would be that the applicant may be of question and KCI is doing cavity searches on this.

Last edited:
You are probably correct about the cavity search. However, the point I was attempting to make is that they did not give another 30 day "awaiting approval" extension. He is effectively now illegal? Or not?

You are probably correct about the cavity search. However, the point I was attempting to make is that they did not give another 30 day "awaiting approval" extension. He is effectively now illegal? Or not?

He is still OK but i suggest he checks back in a week. He can do this by having his wife call and give his tracking number which is on his under consideration stamp.

I suppose since it is now a requirement for even the retirement extensions to be checked, the work load on Khorat has likely doubled.

Heard a new one last week.

If you are over 70 years old, you will obtain your extension the same day. If you are under 70 then you will be issued an "awaiting approval" stamp.

Don't shoot the messenger.

[Edit: It just so happens that the three [Edit: four] Farangs I know who received the extension the same day were over 70]

Last edited:
Heard a new one yesterday too. A Farang who lives a few houses down the road had a house visit from KCI BIB concerning his yearly extension just before me. I had my house visit in mid-December and my extension (based on retirement) was approved mid January. Anyway, recently KCI BIB came back and paid another house visit and he had to get all the paperwork and witnesses together for a second time. Don't know the full story but if I see him I will ask what it was all about. As he is working for a living I would guess his extension is based on marriage.

If you are over 70 years old, you will obtain your extension the same day. If you are under 70 then you will be issued an "awaiting approval" stamp.

[Edit: It just so happens that the three Farangs I know who received the extension the same day were over 70]

Thank goodness, only two more years to go before I cut back on my travelling to KCI.

[Edit: It just so happens that the three Farangs I know who received the extension the same day were over 70]

At one stage in the process, one IO asked me, "How old are you?" (he could have looked at my papers, but I suppose it's easier to ask). I told him 78.... and I got the extension the same day.

Thank goodness, only two more years to go before I cut back on my travelling to KCI.

One wonders if they would check if you wrote "70" (years old) on your application?

Anyway, hopefully, all this madness will be over soon.

Given that the "Suppression Unit" bring a computer, printer, scanner and camera, you'd think it wouldn't be much of a hardship to bring along a John Bull outfit also and stamp the passport upon the "test" being passed.

john-bull-outfit.jpg

Back