Unpleasant Surprise

nomad97

Resident Geek
Yesterday I received a brown envelop through the post from HM Revenue and Customs. I had an unpleasant surprise when I open the letter, they said that I owed the Tax Man a few thousand pounds in unpaid tax. Don't worry though, we will deduct this from your pension in monthly payments commencing April 2020. WTF? Not to worry my arse! The pound is nose diving to the bottom and they want to claim back taxes too.

In previous years, they have always indexed my UK State Pension in line with the annual review. Of course, living in Thailand we do not receive any increase in our 'frozen' pension. I think they got that right this year. However, one of my other pensions is paid 'free of tax'. I have benefited from this arrangement for the past 15 years and now, out of the blue, they have included this pension in my total income liable for tax. If it's not one thing it's another.

I have written to them in the new on-line version of what they call your Personal Tax Account. I have pointed out most politely that I believe their calculation is in error, and why. They have promised a reply in the next 7 days. I await their reply with interest.

All income, pensions or otherwise, originating in the UK, are added up and if above the £12,500 tax free threshold, is taxed at 20% (Higher rate applies when total income is considerably higher).

Only correct Nomad, that you should pay your fair share. Not such a big loss, since for every pound extra you received at 50/55/60Baht to the £, it will only cost you 39Baht to buy a £ to pay back.

I too received a brown envelope yesterday, mine from the DWP, and about my state pension.

My state pension included an ADI (Adult Dependency Increase), which was claimable up to April 2010, and payable until April 2020, after which date it would be withdrawn. Sadly I am to lose some £57/week, though since it is taxed at 20%, the net loss is a bit lower per week.

Anyone claiming state pension before 5th April 2010 would have been eligible for the ADI, if married. (Not automatic-had to be claimed) Not sure if anyone on the forum, other than perhaps Billp is a recipient.

Thailand is forking you on visa requirements. They are manipulating the baht and with Bretix the GBP is taking an arss whipping. Now with this latest good news you should get the largest size of K-Y Jelly you can find. If I find any more good news I shall kindly pass it on.;;grimace;;;;bad simle;;

Passion Lubes, Natural Water-Based Lubricant, 55 Gallon Drum: Amazon.co.uk: Health & Personal Care
upload_2019-7-2_10-46-40.png

Yesterday I received a brown envelop through the post from HM Revenue and Customs. I had an unpleasant surprise when I open the letter, they said that I owed the Tax Man a few thousand pounds in unpaid tax. Don't worry though, we will deduct this from your pension in monthly payments commencing April 2020. WTF? Not to worry my arse! The pound is nose diving to the bottom and they want to claim back taxes too.

In previous years, they have always indexed my UK State Pension in line with the annual review. Of course, living in Thailand we do not receive any increase in our 'frozen' pension. I think they got that right this year. However, one of my other pensions is paid 'free of tax'. I have benefited from this arrangement for the past 15 years and now, out of the blue, they have included this pension in my total income liable for tax. If it's not one thing it's another.

I have written to them in the new on-line version of what they call your Personal Tax Account. I have pointed out most politely that I believe their calculation is in error, and why. They have promised a reply in the next 7 days. I await their reply with interest.

A couple of thousand pounds ! That's a fairly fooked large piece of coin.

How long have they been holding this back on you ?!? :dizzy:

Nik- I also recve the ADI benefit,Recd my letttr about 2 wks ago.

Eanto- Maybe your mate has a good Accountant to take care of things.

I also enjoy Added Dysfunction Influence but unfortunately do not receive any money

All income, pensions or otherwise, originating in the UK, are added up and if above the £12,500 tax free threshold, is taxed at 20% (Higher rate applies when total income is considerably higher). Only correct Nomad, that you should pay your fair share. Not such a big loss, since for every pound extra you received at 50/55/60Baht to the £, it will only cost you 39Baht to buy a £ to pay back.

I too received a brown envelope yesterday, mine from the DWP, and about my state pension. My state pension included an ADI (Adult Dependency Increase), which was claimable up to April 2010, and payable until April 2020, after which date it would be withdrawn. Sadly I am to lose some £57/week, though since it is taxed at 20%, the net loss is a bit lower per week. Anyone claiming state pension before 5th April 2010 would have been eligible for the ADI, if married. (Not automatic-had to be claimed) Not sure if anyone on the forum, other than perhaps Billp is a recipient.

The highlighted text is not strictly true. I have one pension that was wholly earned while I was working outside the UK. I established with the Tax Man, some 16 years ago in writing, that this pension is not eligible for UK tax. Indeed, prior to this most recent letter, I have received this pension free of tax since arriving in Thailand. It is also shown on my Personal Tax Account with a Tax Code of No Tax. However, the pension is indeed paid from the UK.

A couple of thousand pounds ! That's a fairly fooked large piece of coin.

How long have they been holding this back on you ?!? :dizzy:

See reply above. After 15 years with no tax deducted they have suddenly decided I should pay for the tax year April 2018/ April 2019. I am reasonably confident they have made an error. :D:D:D

The highlighted text is not strictly true. I have one pension that was wholly earned while I was working outside the UK. I established with the Tax Man, some 16 years ago in writing, that this pension is not eligible for UK tax. Indeed, prior to this most recent letter, I have received this pension free of tax since arriving in Thailand. It is also shown on my Personal Tax Account with a Tax Code of No Tax. However, the pension is indeed paid from the UK.

If, excluding your "overseas earned, non taxable pension". your other pensions and any other income (dividends, rents etc) exceed the personal allowance for any particular year, then you are eligible to pay tax on the excess at 20%. Good luck with your communications with HMRC.

See reply above. After 15 years with no tax deducted they have suddenly decided I should pay for the tax year April 2018/ April 2019. I am reasonably confident they have made an error. :D:D:D

I hope so. Looks like they’re generally scurrying around for coinage

If, excluding your "overseas earned, non taxable pension". your other pensions and any other income (dividends, rents etc) exceed the personal allowance for any particular year, then you are eligible to pay tax on the excess at 20%. Good luck with your communications with HMRC.
I do indeed pay tax on my other non-state pension, my RAF pension. With the increase in the personal allowance from £11,850 to £12,500 this year, I should see a reduction in tax paid. However, I am not prepared to see my tax liability rise threefold with my non-taxable pension included in the equation.

I do indeed pay tax on my other non-state pension, my RAF pension. With the increase in the personal allowance from £11,850 to £12,500 this year, I should see a reduction in tax paid. However, I am not prepared to see my tax liability rise threefold with my non-taxable pension included in the equation.

Your RAF pension is too much ... Sir

Math question: Define too much?

I would suggest that it is not a maths question......more of a lifestyle question.

Remember, Eanto can live on his Surin budget............if he doesn’t buy ladydrinks...:grin:

Back