Uruguay - another option

Interesting as I have a friend who started over at age 50 with a young wife from Uruguay more than ten years ago.

He stated that most consumer goods are very expensive. His wife is a teacher so their two kids get a break on private school tuition that for others are considered high.
He stated six months out of the year the weather is the same as Seattle's winter but without any nightlife...although pot is legal.

He likes it but cautions that one must be prepared for two things (1) learn to communicate in Español otherwise you'll go crazy (2) Beef is served at every meal.

Last edited:
Interesting as I have a friend who started over at age 50 with a young wife from Uruguay more than ten years ago.

He stated that most consumer goods are very expensive. His wife is a teacher so their two kids get a break on private school tuition that for others are considered high.
He stated six months out of the year the weather is the same as Seattle's winter but without any nightlife...although pot is legal.

He likes it but cautions that one must be prepared for two things (1) learn to communicate in Español otherwise you'll go crazy (2) Beef is served at every meal.

The grass isn't necessarily greener then?

If I wanted/needed an option, Philippines would be my preferred choice. Having spent over three months there working in Manila and Batangas back in 2000 I learnt some of the "strings". Learning the "ropes" will no doubt be another kettle of mullet.

Back