Username for internet banking

Yorky

Fullritis Member
Could it be feasible that a bank (in this case HSBC) would block a username if they suspect impropriety, e.g. failure to log in correctly a number of times? The page does not get to the "input password" stage.

Could it be feasible that a bank (in this case HSBC) would block a username if they suspect impropriety, e.g. failure to log in correctly a number of times? The page does not get to the "input password" stage.

See: http://www.us.hsbc.com/1/2/home/personal-banking/pib/faq#whathappens

Nothing obvious in their frequently asked questions. Give them a ring and ask them.

• You can also send a secure BankMail through Personal Internet Banking or call our Customer Relationship Center at 800.975.4722. We are here Monday - Sunday 7:00am - 12:00am ET. and will be happy to answer any questions you have about accessing, using and navigating through Personal Internet Banking.

Give them a ring and ask them.

The account owner in question will do that this evening (it is a UK branch). There is a process for retrieving a "forgotten" username but this requires, amongst other details, the user's "Social Security Number" which she doesn't know if she has or not.

Cheers.

Your User ID must be between 5 and 76 characters long. It can only contain letters, numbers and the following special characters: @ sign, apostrophe, hyphen, underscore and full stop. It must be unique to you. If you select an ID which has already been used, we will advise you to choose another. It cannot be the same as your first direct or HSBC Business Internet Banking User ID.

No such requirement for a social security number - I suggest she may have misheard:-

If you cannot remember your User ID, or it is not recognised at log on, you can retrieve it by following the 'forgotten User ID?' link on the Personal Internet Banking log on page.

Forgotten Internet Banking user ID - step 1 of 3
To find out your Internet Banking user ID, please enter the following information and click 'Continue'.
If you are an HSBC Pension customer, please call us on 0345 600 2290.

DD MM YY

Your date of birth:

/ /
Either your account details or your credit card number:
Sort code

e.g. 40 38 42

- -
Account number
e.g. 02345678
or
Credit Card number

e.g. 5224103478233333

How would they know who the user was ??????

My user ID is my 10 digit CIN (Customer Identification Number) which starts IB1308.........

No such requirement for a social security number - I suggest she may have misheard

Or misread?

What if I forget my Personal Internet Banking Username?

If you forget your Username, click the "Forgot your Username?" link in the Personal Internet Banking log-in screen. There you will be prompted to provide your social security number, HSBC Credit, Debit, or ATM Card number, and the Card's PIN number. If you don't have this information, you can also contact us via telephone at the Customer Relationship Center.

Thank you for the assistance.

However, we have now managed to log in using the username previously in place.

We were using the HSBC Internet Banking log in page instead of the HSBC Internet Banking log in page.

All sorted now thanks.

See banners above.

Not being a HSBC customer (although I was a Midland Bank customer in the 70's) I was not aware that there were separate log-in pages for different countries. I didn't set up the HSBC account nor the facility for internet banking. And the lady who I was attempting to assist didn't set them up either. She is also Thai.

Your User ID must be between 5 and 76 characters long. It can only contain letters, numbers and the following special characters: @ sign, apostrophe, hyphen, underscore and full stop. It must be unique to you. If you select an ID which has already been used, we will advise you to choose another.

And that begs another question Watson. If I was to apply for internet banking with HSBC in the US with the same username as someone in the UK system, then it would show up as unique, would it not?

[I appreciate that someone setting up an account with the same username and password is at least 1,000,000,00 to one, but the username would not be unique as stated].

See banners above.

Not being a HSBC customer (although I was a Midland Bank customer in the 70's) I was not aware that there were separate log-in pages for different countries. I didn't set up the HSBC account nor the facility for internet banking. And the lady who I was attempting to assist didn't set them up either. She is also Thai.

If this was supposed to be a 'spot the difference' competition, I would have failed! :)

(not the banners, the previous post wording)

Back