Wanted shophouse / shop to lease Surin

Good luck to her, is there enough passers bye to warent a salon there ??

Who's Thai ??
Rob, are you aware that in the short distance between Starbeams and the junction to the road with Thong Tarin nearly every shop is a salon. I think i counted 8 the last time I bothered to count them?

Still I wish you good luck with your venture and hope you find a 'niche' market like you suggested.

so when any of you guys want to meet up to watch the footie or just have a natter at Starbeams or Coffee Corner you can send your ladies round for a bit of pampering.
Gift3

Chokdee5

Congratulatons to Mrs. Rob,

I am sure some of the local spots, like Starbeam, will be happy to provide info to their customer's on the new spot to help promote it.
Also, will they be doing haircuts for men. That is often a topic of discussion in Surin for foreigners,as there are few choices and most of them bad.
Best of luck and success!

Haircuts for men , are a different ballgame in the salon trade in thailand, most lady haidressers can only do ladies hairstyles ,take it one step at a time is the way to go.

Good Luck Mr&Mrs Rob you are a nice couple i'm sure you will do well mate , i can see me getting to be a regular at starbeams ,and putting on a few more kilos in the process.

:frown:

yeah Surinfarang

the problem is all the areas she wanted it was the same.
or there where no available units.

salons and 7/11's are the most prominent shops in most of the thai towns and cities i have visited.
but she will work hard at this and if she keeps to her plan hopefully it will work for her.

i took her to Bangkok last time home to get her hair done in a salon she had read about, it was run by Koreans and used these products and styles she was interested in.

the salon was in a side street off of Sukhimvit, on the second floor above a restaraunt, if we hadn't had a map and called for directions we would never have found it.
anyway it cost 9kbaht for her hair to be treated and styled and that salon is doing a good trade , there where 4 hairdressers and 3 assistants in the place.
she won't be charging anywhere near those prices, however it shows to me that there is a demand out there for good quality products .

if after trying for a few years it hasn't achieved what she hopes for then she can move on somewhere else, having lost nothing and gained valuable experience.

Flying2

thanks for the support guys, much appreciated.

like Ray says, the salons mainly cater for ladies, although they will cut gents if asked nicely.

she will be more comfortable sticking to the ladies, however never say never !

i can see myself becoming more of a regular than i already am at Starbeams and the Coffee Corner also now.

i can take the dog for a little stroll and stop by for a beer, nice result i think.Think1

Rob, are you aware that in the short distance between Starbeams and the junction to the road with Thong Tarin nearly every shop is a salon. I think i counted 8 the last time I bothered to count them?

Still I wish you good luck with your venture and hope you find a 'niche' market like you suggested.

Its all that customer base going from Starbeams to Soi Kola...:biggrin:

thanks for the support guys, much appreciated.

like Ray says, the salons mainly cater for ladies, although they will cut gents if asked nicely.

she will be more comfortable sticking to the ladies, however never say never !

i can see myself becoming more of a regular than i already am at Starbeams and the Coffee Corner also now.

i can take the dog for a little stroll and stop by for a beer, nice result i think.Think1

The 'niche' market she should/could go for is men's haircuts and styling. Farang men. Few in Surin can do a decent job of it, and most haven't a friggin' clue to what they are doing. Modern hair styling taught in the states is light-years above what most of these Thai salons can do, as I think would be most western countries. Thailand is stuck in the 50's really. Though some have done a good job over the many years living here, most, sadly, ended up giving me what I call the 'Somchai the Buffalo Boy' haircut, which seems fairly prevalent throughout the male portion of the population here in Thailand.

So, I vote/suggest she maybe continue schooling in a good western hair styling school to focus on MEN's hairstyling, and focus further on FARANG MEN as her customer base. More money can be asked for pricing, better tips likely, additional options can include ear and nose hair removal, ear wax removal, neck and shoulder massage, leg and foot massage, and definitely, manicures and pedicures... all focused on farang men as the specialty of her new shop.

I think it would be a hit if she attains a level of education and experience above what many other women here have for this occupation. Also being pretty, and having pretty, friendly, staff with some decent English ability would be a help and a draw.

Just my thought on it.

Mike

p.s. There's a million hair salons for women around the city, but not a one I know of that is specifically focused on the men's grooming needs.

Last edited:
Congratulatons to Mrs. Rob,

I am sure some of the local spots, like Starbeam, will be happy to provide info to their customer's on the new spot to help promote it.
Also, will they be doing haircuts for men. That is often a topic of discussion in Surin for foreigners,as there are few choices and most of them bad.
Best of luck and success!

Congrats to her from us as well, Rob.

If she would like to leave some cards with us tell her to come around and leave us a bundle and we'll place them with the other cards on our bar top.

Mike & Waen

p.s. That area of Soi Surin Phakdi seems to be picking up and a lot of businesses have recently started there. I've been keeping an eye on it the past months.

The 'niche' market she should/could go for is men's haircuts and styling. Farang men. Few in Surin can do a decent job of it, and most haven't a friggin' clue to what they are doing. Modern hair styling taught in the states is light-years above what most of these Thai salons can do, as I think would be most western countries. Thailand is stuck in the 50's really. Though some have done a good job over the many years living here, most, sadly, ended up giving me what I call the 'Somchai the Buffalo Boy' haircut, which seems fairly prevalent throughout the male portion of the population here in Thailand.

So, I vote/suggest she maybe continue schooling in a good western hair styling school to focus on MEN's hairstyling, and focus further on FARANG MEN as her customer base. More money can be asked for pricing, better tips likely, additional options can include ear and nose hair removal, ear wax removal, neck and shoulder massage, leg and foot massage, and definitely, manicures and pedicures... all focused on farang men as the specialty of her new shop.

I think it would be a hit if she attains a level of education and experience above what many other women here have for this occupation. Also being pretty, and having pretty, friendly, staff with some decent English ability would be a help and a draw.

Just my thought on it.

Mike

p.s. There's a million hair salons for women around the city, but not a one I know of that is specifically focused on the men's grooming needs.

Mike there's no money in mens hairdressing, the money is with ladies hairstyles , most thai ladies are into korean hair cuts, these day's.

Mens haircuts are around 60 baht inc, a shave, nose trim, and ear trim.

Ladies are from 150 baht up but with the vitamin and a offer of a free chapstick with every cut,:wink: it can take it upto 1000 Baht in most cases.

stick to the ladies , i say for regular customers, and a better profit.

To pay for the 10K rent per month, and a wage ,plus stock , plus bills per month.

Last edited by a moderator:
there probably is a market for a good barber Mike

however my wife isn't that interested in mens hairdressing, she like the girly things.
so thats where she will be concentrating.
if she where to open a barbers , it would quickly become a chore and she would hate it.

she loves the girly stuff and all the expensive brands, always has, so she will enjoy working at setting this up and trying to make it succesfull.

perhaps someone else will come along and pick up on your idea.

thanks Cent

once she is up and ready to open we will no doubt be out and about with cards to promote the new venture.
we will be sure to stop in and say hi.

cheers

there probably is a market for a good barber Mike

however my wife isn't that interested in mens hairdressing, she like the girly things.
so thats where she will be concentrating.
if she where to open a barbers , it would quickly become a chore and she would hate it.

she loves the girly stuff and all the expensive brands, always has, so she will enjoy working at setting this up and trying to make it succesfull.

perhaps someone else will come along and pick up on your idea.

ThumbUp6 Ah, understood, Rob. Hopefully one day someone will do this for us males here in Surin. It is a needed and likely very welcome service going by most of the haircuts I see on the guys around these parts. :biggrin:

Mike

Mike there's no money in mens hairdressing, the money is with ladies hairstyles , most thai ladies are into korean hair cuts, these day's.

Mens haircuts are around 60 baht inc, a shave, nose trim, and ear trim.

Ladies are from 150 baht up but with the vitamin and a offer of a free chapstick with every cut,:wink: it can take it upto 1000 Baht in most cases.

stick to the ladies , i say for regular customers, and a better profit.

To pay for the 10K rent per month, and a wage ,plus stock , plus bills per month.

Totally agree...

will do SF & GL

need to try getting my Rascal racing logo on the sponsors and getting the SF logo on my website.

can someone advise how to do and i can get my website guys to organize ?

Totally agree...

I disagree somewhat. What you are failing to take into account is the amount of time and work it is to do a woman's hair. It is one reason for the higher pricing. It is time consuming. Whereas men's hair cuts and grooming services usually take far less time and more customers can be done in that time, which increases the amount made due to volume/turn over. A woman can take 3 hours or more in the salon. A man, usually less than an hour. Thereby, unless you have a HUGE shop to stash these women waiting while this is done, that dried, the dye job sets, or that is done so you can work on others, this limits your amount of customers that can be helped. I've seen waiting lines in the salons that take hours to clear/catch up, many end up leaving to try somewhere else or come back another day. Also I stated that the shop I proposed would be directed at farang and more affluent Thai men (of which there are many in Surin). Hence, higher prices and not the usual Thai price of 60 baht a cut. We are talking 'premium' styling and haircuts and service. 300, 400, 500 baht. High end, not the usual. See what I am saying? Exclusive 'executive' service of a higher caliber than the usual. And advertised that way for the snob appeal. :)

Mike

when i was back in Scotland
the little town i lived in had just such a barbers open up.

there where 3 40something guys cutting hair but in a traditional shop setting.
with the shampoo, towel dry, haircut, traditional open razor shave and hot towel treatment, the only service on offer at a flat rate of £20.

they done well and i believe still there.
they got the older gent and the younger guys wanting pampered.
not the usual UK barber wet spray and cut job

so there is a case for a good quality barber in Surin i believe

Back