Wat Phimai Khmer Ruins - Phimai/Nakhon Ratchasima

Cent

FORUM SPONSOR
Wat Phimai Khmer Ruins - Phimai/Nakhon Ratchasima<ins style="display:inline-table;border:none;height:250px;margin:0;padding:0;position:relative;visibility:visible;width:300px"><ins id="aswift_2_anchor" style="display:block;border:none;height:250px;margin:0;padding:0;position:relative;visibility:visible;width:300px">
</ins></ins>

Wat Phi Mai is a reconstructed temple near the major city of Korat (Nakon Ratchasima). It sits inside the city of Phi Mai. It (the ruins) was reconstructed by the French and Thai scientists years ago and made into a national park and heritage site. The main temple stella is very beautiful and can be seen above in the picture presented. My wife had told me of these ruins when I asked her what she wanted to do to celebrate the 2003/2004 New Year. The name 'Phi Mai' in Thai means 'new year', and these ruins are a place Thais like to visit on the New Year holiday. So we made up a tour plan for the weekend holidays and set out to explore new things and meet new people. I hadn't heard of this ruin until my wife told me of it. I'm glad she did. It was a great place to see and the kids and my family enjoyed a pleasant day there.

365d98fd.jpg
One of the guardian demon dogs/lions at the entrance to the temple grounds. The white snake headed statue to the left behind the demon is a Naga, sometimes seen as a guard of the Buddha.
2082ef83.jpg
One of the lesser temple buildings on the Phi Mai grounds.
299aabda.jpg
I have to say that Phi Mai is an extremely beautiful site. The grounds are very nicely gardened and taken care of. It is a very restful and peaceful temple ruin. If I was into meditation, Phi Mai, I would think, is the perfect place to meditate and contemplate your navel. I was there in 2004 very near sunset after visiting the Korat Zoo with my daughter and family and some friends of ours who came along with us.
2174fee0.jpg
A bas relief from inside the temple of a dancer (I believe a warrior dancer).
1ec0d5b4.jpg
I would recommend Phi Mai as a must see if you are visiting Thailand and coming to the Isaan area. It is well maintained, easily accessible, very pretty, and interesting, and there are no mountains to climb or many-stepped stairways to climb to visit the ruins. It is a great place to bring the kids and elderly or handicapped as well.

I hope you enjoyed these pictures of the Phi Mai ruins. Later I'll be doing the Phru Prabat Historical Park.

Phimai historical park
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

The Phimai historical park protects one of the most important Khmer temples of Thailand . It is located in the town of Phimai , Nakhon Ratchasima province, 15°13′N 102°30′E.

The temple marks one end of the Ancient Khmer Highway from Angkor. As the enclosed area of 1020x580m is comparable with that of Angkor Wat, Phimai must have been an important city in the Khmer empire. Most buildings are from the late 11th to the late 12th century, built in the Baphuon, Bayon and Angkor Wat style. However, even though the Khmer at that time were Hindu, the temple was built as a Buddhist temple, as Buddhism in the Khorat area dated back to the 7th century. Inscriptions name the site Vimayapura (which means city of Vimaya ), which developed into the Thai name Phimai.

The first inventory of the ruins was done in 1901 by the French geographer Etienne Aymonier. They were put under governmental protection by announcement in the Government Gazette, Volume 53, section 34, from September 27, 1936. Most of the restorations were done from 1964 to 1969 as a joint Thai-French project.

The historical park, now managed by the Fine Arts Department, was officially opened by Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn on April 12, 1989.

Mike

Copyright 2004. All rights reserved by the author.

Last edited:
Great pictures Mike.

The comparison with Angkor Wat is somewhat misleading if you consider the Angkor Wat community in it's entirety. The Khmer empire was quite remarkable and, at it's peak, probably bigger and more important than the Roman empire.

Place a ruler on Angkor Wat and Phi Mai. A straight line runs bang through Phanom Rung (also built by the Khmer. Someone suggested that, at one time, a road ran between the 3 temples.

Last edited:
Great pictures Mike.

The comparison with Angkor Wat is somewhat misleading if you consider the Angkor Wat in it's entirety. The Khmer empire was quite remarkable and, at it's peak, probably bigger and more important than the Roman empire.

Place a ruler on Angkor Wat and Phi Mai. A straight line runs bang through Phanom Rung (also built by the Khmer. Someone suggested that, at one time, a road ran between the 3 temples.

Coco,

I heard/read there was a road joining all and that the king or a prince or other high muckity muck would travel the entire circuit every couple/few years and collect the taxes and tribute directly from those under their reign. Also a lot of smaller structures around were used as stop overs for that entourage, and they were all a day's elephant ride apart. Sikoraphum is one I believe.

Mike

If you use google Earth and draw a line from Ankor to Ta Muang, then from there to Phimai, there is a project already underway to map the Dhamasala points along whats called the "Royal Road".

Dhamasala is where the travellers could rest along the way to Phimai.

Here is a link - its interesting for those who like History http://www.sundial.thai-isan-lao.com/dharmasalaroute.html

for me, I have annoyed a few people in Cambodia making the driver go to exact GPS positions.

Back