Water Shortages In Surin - July 2019

A question for you Nomad.

Are your filters on the pump side of your tank(s) or are they on the house side of them?

I ask only because it is a much cheaper task to clean out the sediment from a tank than it is to replace the filters more frequently because of higher particle levels, and wonder what your take is on that.

PS There was an immediate difference in the lather after we switched back to mains water last night :)

A question for you Nomad.

Are your filters on the pump side of your tank(s) or are they on the house side of them?

I ask only because it is a much cheaper task to clean out the sediment from a tank than it is to replace the filters more frequently because of higher particle levels, and wonder what your take is on that.

PS There was an immediate difference in the lather after we switched back to mains water last night :)

DSCN2132.JPG

See photo above. I have 2 pumps in my system. The first pump is located on top of the borehole, like yours but out of picture. This pumps well water across the drive and into the two vertical filters. The first filter, carbon & magnesium (to remove minerals/particles) followed by the second filter resin (to remove calcium). The water then passes to the 500 litre holding tank fitted with a ballcock that effectively controls the on/off cycle of the well pump. The water then passes from the holding tank to the second pump (shown) for circulation around the house. Like the well pump, this is pressure sensitive and switches on/off on demand. I have a hosepipe fitted directly to the well pump for watering the garden - no filtration (not shown) and I have a second hosepipe (shown) for washing the car - filtered (no white spots on the car).

The vertical 1" blue PVC pipe in the center of picture is the main feed to the filter from the well pump. I intend to re-plumb my 2,100 litre tank, the one that is filled with water from the town's supply, into this vertical inlet pipe so that the water is processed through the new filters. I will fit 1" non-return valves to both water feeds to prevent water back-up problems. The main tank will, therefore, trap a lot of the sediment before going through the new filters and minimise the need to replace the filter medium. I am informed that the filters shown should be good for 2 1/2 years without replacement. However, the resin filter may need a salt infusion before that time. You will know when this is necessary by the decrease in the amount of bubbles when using soap in the shower.

As far as I can see, the only down side with the new system is the ultra soft water and the luxurious lather that it produces in the shower. Because of this the floor tiles are a lot more slippery than they were previously. I have started already to look for a new tile that will be non-slip and much safer than the existing.

My two penneth.

When I finally get around to reconnecting the filter it will only filter the water which discharges from the kitchen tap. All other water outlets are and will be unfiltered.

My two penneth.

When I finally get around to reconnecting the filter it will only filter the water which discharges from the kitchen tap. All other water outlets are and will be unfiltered.

I am informed by my Thai brother-in-law, who is not always renowned for his pearls of wisdom, that his unfiltered water supply from his borehole in the village was a mistake. The unfiltered supply clogs up the taps and shower head big time. He now wishes he had installed a filtered system some 5 years ago.

I am informed by my Thai brother-in-law, who is not always renowned for his pearls of wisdom, that his unfiltered water supply from his borehole in the village was a mistake. The unfiltered supply clogs up the taps and shower head big time. He now wishes he had installed a filtered system some 5 years ago.

I have been using unfiltered water (10 years from the well and 9 years from the government) for both showers, both toilets, both washbasins and the washing machine with minimal problems. The shower heads have needed an occasional clean (rubber jets that just require a little massage).

The washing machine did have an inlet filter which needed cleaning occasionally with an old toothbrush. I have yet to experience any filtration issues with the new washing machine.

I have been using unfiltered water (10 years from the well and 9 years from the government) for both showers, both toilets, both washbasins and the washing machine with minimal problems. The shower heads have needed an occasional clean (rubber jets that just require a little massage).

The washing machine did have an inlet filter which needed cleaning occasionally with an old toothbrush. I have yet to experience any filtration issues with the new washing machine.

Same here after 16/17 years of unfiltered water from borehole. Every 12 months a toothpick is used to clean the holes in the shower head.

#2 pond just now.

69332673_10157569813705929_6572272635533590528_n.jpg

Steady rain in my part of Surin currently.

(The sparks came and installed the electric connection to the pump this morning - spot on)

I am yet to experience the "new" well water through the system. When you say a "difference" is the lather less with the mains water or more?

I am yet to experience the "new" well water through the system. When you say a "difference" is the lather less with the mains water or more?

The mains water supply because it is predominantly rain water and soft by nature. Well water has more dissolved minerals and calcium and is hard water. Soft water makes for better bubbles.

The sparks came and installed the electric connection to the pump this morning - spot on

All done now. This is how I have it configured:

Pump layout.jpg

Which means that I am able to:

a) Use mains water to fill the tank for subsequently pumping into the house (the norm).
b) By-pass the pressure pump and have mains water direct into the house in case of power outage (given sufficient pressure in the mains).
c) Use well water to fill the tank during mains water failures.
d) Use well water to feed directly into the house.
e) Use tank water to supply water to the standpipe.
f) Use well water to supply water to the standpipe.
g) Use either tank water or well water to supply the rest of the village.

Was up in the big city today and as I thought this is where the water from Huai Saneng goes to first. Its location is just next door to the army base between it and Surin Fisheries on the 214. GPS14.8580294129, 103.477067479
Surin Water Quality Control Laboratory. You can see a 60 inch pipe line on the south side and and very seriously large under ground storage tank and who knows what else on the north side. The blue water trucks were and are coming out of here. https://en.pwa.co.th

Was up in the big city today and as I thought this is where the water from Huai Saneng goes to first. Its location is just next door to the army base between it and Surin Fisheries on the 214. GPS14.8580294129, 103.477067479
Surin Water Quality Control Laboratory. You can see a 60 inch pipe line on the south side and and very seriously large under ground storage tank and who knows what else on the north side. The blue water trucks were and are coming out of here. https://en.pwa.co.th
Having seen the town's water supply at the user end of the pipes, after leaving the water tower some 5 or 6 kilometers away, I have often wondered if the water was processed or treated. The clarity of the water has varied from day to day, sometimes very clear and other days not so. Thank you @gotlost for providing another piece of the jigsaw puzzle. It does seem that there is a water treatment plant in Surin although the clarity of the water being pumped through the pipes is not always of the same clarity.

Back