Water Shortages In Surin - July 2019

I thought I would compare July 2019 with July 2020 as recorded by my rain gauge.

July 2019 153mm
July 2020 97mm (most of which was recorded last night)

We are way below normal rainfall levels for all months:

2190046-750-rainfall-mm-en.gif

Source: https://www.weather-th.com/en/thailand/surin-climate

I've had a 6" bore down 38 metres for the past 20 years. The water is extremely good other than the calcium.
The calcium blocks the toilet cistern and just about everything else if not in continuous use.
I fitted a softener along with a charcoal and 2 resin filters..one resin filter is part of the softener package. The black box, the other part of the softener is 2/3rds full of salt and almost completely removes/dissolves the calcium.
I once had an industrial size reverse osmosis unit in the setup. The biggest waste of 200k baht ever. Choked up every month and membranes don't last 12 months.
If you think a little R.O. on your kitchen wall's going to help, go ahead and try it for the experience.
The underground water is rough but with a softener and proper maintenance of filters it beats the hell out of your dirty townwater.
I have 8k litres of rainwater for cooking and drinking (boiled).
Over the 20 years or so, I've only fitted 2 submersible pumps. The American made was the first and lasted about a year. The cheap Chinese made was the replacement and it's still in use.
As for not using pvc casing all the way down the bore hole..I bet you do one day!
The bore water is pumped in to a 2,000 litre holding tank and automatically pumped through the filters in to a 1,000 litre tank that is pressurised to the house with full pressure to every outlet.
We have the usual very hard water issue near Rattanaburi. I installed a water softener, but am having no luck finding tablet or pellet salt to fill it. What do you use? The unit doesn't like the flour-like salt that is easy to buy locally for this purpose.

At our house, our bore is also about 38 meters. It seems there is a gravel layer down there. The minor annoyance is that we can only pump about 3-400 liters at a shot, and then must wait an hour for it to recover. I've found the same thing out at our bore at our rice field/lake. A steady recovery rate of only about 8 liters per minute, I estimate. To improve on this, we tried bringing in a bigger well driller with fancy high pressure air system instead of the usual water flushing, and drilled down to 84M without finding any more water. We can live with the low flow rate by putting a time on the pump so it only pumps for 15 minutes once an hour, but more would be nice. Any Surin hydrology info?

Last edited:
Your in a shyt area. Nothing can be done. My area like the pond we had built water was hit at 2 meters and all ponds never go dry. This in Kap Choeng about 2 km fro Surin Immigration. ;;big smile;;

We have the usual very hard water issue near Rattanaburi. I installed a water softener, but am having no luck finding tablet or pellet salt to fill it. What do you use? The unit doesn't like the flour-like salt that is easy to buy locally for this purpose.

At our house, our bore is also about 38 meters. It seems there is a gravel layer down there. The minor annoyance is that we can only pump about 3-400 liters at a shot, and then must wait an hour for it to recover. I've found the same thing out at our bore at our rice field/lake. A steady recovery rate of only about 8 liters per minute, I estimate. To improve on this, we tried bringing in a bigger well driller with fancy high pressure air system instead of the usual water flushing, and drilled down to 84M without finding any more water. We can live with the low flow rate by putting a time on the pump so it only pumps for 15 minutes once an hour, but more would be nice. Any Surin hydrology info?

I use rainwater harvesting which can support the house for 6 months without rain. My backup is filtered well water. My system was installed by Forum Sponsor Ruben from H2O water in Buririam - can not recommend him highly enough (He is the one in the shorts).

www.h2owatersystems.co.th

20190627_094757270_ios.jpg

I get the salt suitable for the softener opposite Big C. It's close or adjoining the Vet. Before the car wash.

Back