What is it for?

Yorky

Fullritis Member
Here we go again......

I wanted one (or more) of these washers either in plastic, rubber or stainless steel.

Whats it for.jpg
So I ask at a number of D.I.Y. shops in Surin. In every shop they asked "what's it for?".

"It doesn't matter what it's for, do you have one?"

"We don't know unless we know what it's for".

My wife tells them. Arrrrrgh!

"Mai mee".

One shop actually stated that they'd stopped making them. Who "they" were I've no idea.

I've since scraped through a few boxes and drawers and found some rubber rings that should suffice.

OK, I'll tell you so that you may benefit from my experience.

The original trap in the washbasin in of one of the bathrooms had deteriorated to the extent that it was leaking. So I bought a new one. Unfortunately the new one was not the same as the original (c. 2000) and the tightening screw was reaching the end of the thread before the unit was sealed to the basin. There were washers provided but they were of insufficient thickness to effect the seal.

Whats it for 2.jpg

A bead of (good-quality) silicon does at least as good as a job.

Ex-plumber (after being an ex-bank robber)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A bead of (good-quality) silicon does at least as good as a job.

Not an option when I'm lying on my back with my head under the basin. There is very little room in there. And potentially the silicon could obstruct the overflow. A suitable washer is far easier.

Not an option when I'm lying on my back with my head under the basin. There is very little room in there. And potentially the silicon could obstruct the overflow. A suitable washer is far easier.
When looking at your photo example, the silicon is applied under the Top bell-ed out surface and seals with the basin.
Had many times with my head in similar locations & under baths/floorboards!!!

When looking at your photo example, the silicon is applied under the Top bell-ed out surface and seals with the basin.

I have sufficient rubber washers to deal with that but the drain is then proud of the basin which leaves a residue of water around the edge. That is the way that I have it now which is not satisfactory.

Had many times with my head in similar locations & under baths/floorboards!!!

I doubt that you were 70 years old with arthritis and a bad back.

I have sufficient rubber washers to deal with that but the drain is then proud of the basin which leaves a residue of water around the edge. That is the way that I have it now which is not satisfactory.

I doubt that you were 70 years old with arthritis and a bad back.

when-your-bad-back-turns-you-into-a-grumpy-old-man.jpg

Here we go again......

I wanted one (or more) of these washers either in plastic, rubber or stainless steel.

View attachment 23129
So I ask at a number of D.I.Y. shops in Surin. In every shop they asked "what's it for?".

"It doesn't matter what it's for, do you have one?"

"We don't know unless we know what it's for".

My wife tells them. Arrrrrgh!

"Mai mee".

One shop actually stated that they'd stopped making them. Who "they" were I've no idea.

Whose Yorky kidding , the washers are for holding the condom in place ! :rolleyes: 555 :D

OK, I'll tell you so that you may benefit from my experience.

The original trap in the washbasin in of one of the bathrooms had deteriorated to the extent that it was leaking. So I bought a new one. Unfortunately the new one was not the same as the original (c. 2000) and the tightening screw was reaching the end of the thread before the unit was sealed to the basin. There were washers provided but they were of insufficient thickness to effect the seal.

View attachment 23133

why this big "hole" in the pipe section, just above the tightening nut?

Whose Yorky kidding , the washers are for holding the condom in place ! :rolleyes: 555 :D

...which reminds me: I have built two houses in Surin, as well as rented a room for a few months when deciding if Isaan was right for me (and vice-versa!) then a bungalow for a year and a half. All of the properties were constructed by "local experts" with supervision that quickly realised that western standards meant nothing here. Quite apart from various teething troubles with the each of the properties, one problem recurred at them all. Whenever it rained very heavily the pong of drains would spread from the bathrooms, irrespective of whatever Thai product was poured or however often it was done. My wife's "Thai custom" solution was always to attack the drain with the toilet spray/bum gun. it would work for a few minutes - sometimes until it stopped raining!

I knew that each of the drains consisted of a stainless steel plate in the floor, a collar within it and into which a hair-strainer fitted. A tilt-action valve operated as a seal against odours from the drain Below all those, the stainless pipe connected with the blue plastic pipework.

upload_2018-7-30_21-11-2.png

Several workmen had goes at fixing the pong - none successfully.

Two weeks ago, I finally set to, and gave each of these drains (6 in total) a thorough cleaning. NONE of them had the valve that you see in the lower left image above. Designed to flip open under the weight of water flowing down the hole, the hinge mechanism had broken on each of them, meaning that air (and drain gasses) were free to up as well as down the drains.

The solution was simple enough: a split condom!! Not actually, but close enough!

upload_2018-7-30_21-17-46.png

Two silicone tubes sit, one inside the other, the outer tube resembling a condom with a split in the lower end (OK use your imagination!) The outer tube is suspended in the existing drain cover while the inner tube is a push-fit that seals them both in place. The hair-strainer is placed on top of them, with the perforated, round cover flush with the drain cover. That took longer to type than it took to replace the parts which were purchased online through Lazada for 131 THB each. They arrived from China in under a week. https://www.lazada.co.th/-i135328078-s152960337.html?urlFlag=true&mp=1?

Since then the bathrooms have all been completely fresh and niff free, even during the heaviest of recent rain.

If any of you have any problems with smelly drains, these can help!

Believe it or not, when my. First Thai house was built ( in Surin), I noticed that the waste pipes had no ‘traps’ to stop smells & creepy crawlies. I brought over from England a straight coupling fitting that had a condom type trap in it. A rubber flat tube that allowed water etc flow one way only. I never got to use it as I divorced the wife/house shortly afterwards!

Last edited:
Back