WHERE IS EVERYONE

Prakhonchai Nick

You chose a custom title
This morning I drove to Buriram for a regular shopping trip. The roads were very quiet. Tops deserted.

I hit Makro at 11am. Normally at this time it is very busy...but this morning it had well less than half the number of normal customers. Easy parking close to the entrance dooe and straight up to one of several check outs with nobody waiting.

Later went for a kwitiou and a well known and popular restauirant on the 219. Normally very busy at lunchtime. but just 4 customers.. Staff said it had been very quiet yesterday too.

Have they all gone to Wat Dhammakaya to lend support?

Is it similar in Surin?

Just guessing that possibly some schools may require tuition payment to hold slots for next semester (ie: Surin Technie).

Possibly the warmer air or a virulent virus that Nomad assisted in spreading. :mask:

I don't know...the Soi Cola karaoke girls are sleeping :rolleyes:

What did your wife say was the reason ?

Just guessing that possibly some schools may require tuition payment to hold slots for next semester (ie: Surin Technie).

Possibly the warmer air or a virulent virus that Nomad assisted in spreading. :mask:

I don't know...the Soi Cola karaoke girls are sleeping :rolleyes:

What did your wife say was the reason ?

She did not offer up any suggestion. :rolleyes:

I noticed the same thing around Surin today Nick. Just like a non official holiday of sorts.

Lek and I have traveled up north for a few days. And yesterday we visited the Royal Rajapruek Gardens in Chiang Mai. Same there, the place was virtualy desserted, all the lights on but nobody home sort of feeling.
Again asked the Wife, but no reasonable explanation was forthcoming, and she certainly wasn't going to ask any of the staff as I suggested. BTW Beautiful place for those that have not been.

It was busy at the traffic lights, nearly had to run over a noodle vendor

attachment.php

I d probably say it s something to do with the ecomony & everyone (Thai s in particular) are badly in debt & not much spending money until next payday! The Bangkok Post
ran an article earlier this month,saying the average household debt was Baht 300,000! I was staggered by that amount.

This morning I drove to Buriram for a regular shopping trip. The roads were very quiet. Tops deserted.

I hit Makro at 11am. Normally at this time it is very busy...but this morning it had well less than half the number of normal customers. Easy parking close to the entrance dooe and straight up to one of several check outs with nobody waiting.

Later went for a kwitiou and a well known and popular restauirant on the 219. Normally very busy at lunchtime. but just 4 customers.. Staff said it had been very quiet yesterday too.

Is it similar in Surin?

It is no longer the 219

Is it similar in Surin?

I think they all went to Chiang Rai and Phuket - both places VERY busy.

That's a horrific amount as an average. It's unlikely that it includes "Chinese loans" also!

If you take the stat's from other parts of the world for household debt, the percentage to wages and amount in dept is very similar .Plus Thailand's Household debt to Gdp is lower than the UK , USA and many other countries,maybe the reason the Baht seems to remain strong !

Households Debt in Thailand decreased to 71.20 percent of GDP in the second quarter of 2016 from 71.30 percent of GDP in the first quarter of 2016. Households Debt To Gdp in Thailand averaged 48.04 percent of GDP from 1991 until 2016, reaching an all time high of 71.60 percent of GDP in the fourth quarter of 2015 and a record low of 25.40 percent of GDP in the fourth quarter of 1991.
http://www.tradingeconomics.com/thailand/households-debt-to-gdp

If you take the stat's from other parts of the world for household debt, the percentage to wages and amount in dept is very similar .Plus Thailand's Household debt to Gdp is lower than the UK , USA and many other countries,maybe the reason the Baht seems to remain strong !

I am very pleased to confirm that I owe bugger all to anybody.

Back