Why is the Buddha's Birthday celebrated...

Discussion in 'Thailands events and festivals' started by Coffee, May 22, 2018.

1. Coffee

Coffee Surin Legend

...in other countries... 20180513_174424.jpg
    ...but not in Thailand ?
    Today is the day. Happy Birthday Gautama Buddha. :innocent:

2. Yorky

Yorky Surin Legend

Thailand do recognise it - it's next Tuesday (Wesak Day).

Coffee likes this.
  3. Coffee

Coffee Surin Legend

Not exactly correct old boy.

This significant holiday next week is Visakha Puja Day which celebrates Buddha's birth, enlightenment and death all on the same day.

4. Yorky

Yorky Surin Legend

Jasus, over ½ billion people in about 20 different countries. You cannot expect any of them to agree on something that happened over 2,500 years ago!

5. Coffee

Coffee Surin Legend

:rolleyes: Just ask the Christians and Muslims. ;)

6. nomad97

nomad97 Ordinary member Staff Member

Do we even care?

Surin likes this.
  7. Prakhonchai Nick

Prakhonchai Nick Surin Legend

Did ANYTHING happen 2,500 years ago, or is it all a smokescreen dreamt up by the hierarchy to extract money from those that will believe anything?

Yorky likes this.
  8. Surin

Surin Surin Legend

Some crazies do, Nomad.

nomad97 likes this.
  9. Coffee

Coffee Surin Legend

@nomad
    Is your darling wife Buddhist ?
    Are your two lovely daughters Buddhist ?
    Go ahead and ask them.

Dollars to donuts when your time eventually comes you'll be going up the chimney in Buddhist ceremony whether you care or not. :rolleyes:

Rice likes this.
  10. Yorky

Yorky Surin Legend

Did anything happen c. 2,000 years ago or c. 1,500 years ago? Of course it's a con to extract money from the ignorant.

Surin and Prakhonchai Nick like this.
  11. Prakhonchai Nick

European folk are slowly beginning to realise this with church attendances falling dramatically. I doubt I will see the Thai people giving up their tambooning in my lifetime, but it will surely happen in time,. When you see the politicians at a Buddhist ceremony on the TV, I am convinced they have no interest in the religious events despite their clasped hands. Its all for show, like everything here in Thailand! The monks keep the Thai people under control, and that is how the government like it.

How people anywhere in the world, can be so gullible to believe everything they are told, without one iota of proof or evidence, and without even questioning it, never ceases to amaze me.

Surin likes this.
  12. nomad97

Indeed I will. That said, it will not make any difference to me - I will be dead. I will not care at all.

mario299 likes this.
  13. georgefromcanada

georgefromcanada Surin Legend

my imaginary friend is better than you imaginary friend...ah religion

Yorky, Prakhonchai Nick and mario299 like this.
  14. Surin

Surin Surin Legend

Hopefully many of these so called followers of a make believe god will be incarcerated here in Australia now, after yesterday's judgement.

15. Coffee

Coffee Surin Legend

16. Coffee

Coffee Surin Legend

Yes Surin, regarding another thread with news of former Archbishop Phillip Wilson to be sentenced after being found guilty of covering up sexual abuse by a priest in Australia during 1970's timeframe.

From your "many of these so called followers of a make believe god will be incarcerated" I was initially wondering if a certain belief system was being outlawed down under. (Akin to China with Falun Gong.) :mask:

17. nomad97

And Christianity too ................http://www.dw.com/en/in-xi-we-trust-is-china-cracking-down-on-christianity/a-42224752

18. Yorky

Yorky Surin Legend

Vesak Day.jpg

Coffee and nomad97 like this.
  19. gotlost

gotlost Surin Legend

Started the celebration with the lads this morning at the barn with a triple shot of lao khao. :eek::yum::D

nomad97 likes this.
  20. Prakhonchai Nick

Some truth in the message but doubtful he ever spoke those words nor many of the others attributed to him. No doubt not dissimilar to words allegedly spoken by Jesus Christ of Allah!

New | Recent