Wild dog control

Our
In my early Surin days there were trucks with cages on the back which went around collecting/capturing the strays (basically wild dogs) for the dog eating meat trade. We had problems in the neighborhood with these nasty mutts. Women and kids were afraid to walk by their areas of dominion. They were quite aggressive and numerous. The neighborhood poo yai got rid of them eventually. Don't ask me how, but one day they were all gone, never to be seen again.

Here's a story. My old man when he was a teen had a house he would have to walk by daily. The owners had a very aggressive mutt that would charge him and try to bite him (no fencing). One day he went and knocked on their door. When the owner answered my Dad told the guy about the dog always trying to bite him. He warned the man, 'If your dog ends up biting me I will kill him.' The owner was of course stupid and became angry. 'I am just giving you fair warning.' my Dad told him and walked away. It came to pass one day the dog got him by the calf from behind and latched on good. My old man grabbed the mutt and strangled it to death, walked to the front door and knocked and when the owner answered he thrust the dog at him and told he he had warned him if the dog bit him he would kill it, and walked away to go to the doctor's office to have the deep bite treated. True story told me by my grandfather, corroborated by my father. Was told this a long long time ago, so I forget what breed the dog was, but it was said it was not a small dog.

I gave up long ago trying to walk my dogs here. Used to have to carry a big solid wooden staff to keep the strays away. A pain in the ass really. And the strays are everywhere no matter where you try to walk your dog.

On the cost of killing a dog here. I had a mixed breed Thai bitch we kept behind a gate during the day, but in the evenings would be let onto the soi with all the other houses in the neighborhoods dogs for some exercise, as is done here in Surin, or was at least. One night our dog was attacked by some smaller yappy little thing. Our dog just grabbed it and basically broke its neck. A quick and clean kill. The people who owned the little dog (not a pup, full grown it was) were upset and demanded we pay to replace their dog. This was stupid in my mind and pissed me off. Dogs will be dogs and will fight. I also stated that our dog had just as much right to be out with all the other neighborhood dogs in the soi. My wife convinced me to pay, as they were making a big stink about it. But I told them if it happened again I would never pay again, and told them to get a real dog and not some piece of yappy aggressive lap fluff. I forget what we paid, but it was a dumb amount of baht (it was a pure bred fluff ball that should not have been let out on the street really to fend for itself). Ticked me off. Our dog was a medium sized Thai mutt like most you see around here. Not aggressive or trying to bite people. A good girl.
Our mid-size retriever just died of an infection from a wound he received when attacked by a village dog. I never saw him start a fight, but he was brave and would fight back. This happened before we returned, so I'm not sure which dog(s) did it. It's a rough tough lawless dog world around here.

Back