Wild dog control

Ick. NZ has had messy issues with possum bait. With my luck, my wife would forage the bait (she's very parsimonious), stir-fry it and feed it to me.
The poison issue in New Zealand is only caused by stupid people who do not know what they are talking about.
But it would be very tricky using poison where there are high numbers of people.
So poison is a no no.

I repeat, brake fluid........in milk. No human will get on the ground to drink from a bowl.

Its on sale in every forecourt.....its mostly glycol...same as antifreeze

I also love dogs and have two, a German Shepherd and a Golden Retriever......but they are not allowed to run around free

Last edited:
The poison issue in New Zealand is only caused by stupid people who do not know what they are talking about.
But it would be very tricky using poison where there are high numbers of people.
So poison is a no no.
I agree poison is a bad idea. In NZ, they have aerial dropped it in forested areas, so there is little control of who finds it. That's the controversy (or was, maybe they've changed the policy). The intention is good (control the invasive species, Australian possums that out-compete native animals) but the result is mixed. I don't know the whole complex situation and am not in a position to judge. I was in California when there was an invasion of an Asian fruit fly threatening California's huge agricultural production. The governor opted to spray a sticky bait with a very fruitfly specific poison over the whole affected area, including residential homes. I'm not kidding. You had to cover up your cars to avoid paint damage! Crazy. It did work in that case.
Build a stockade and corral the herd at night. Electric fence on the outer perimeter. That should keep the cows and their calves safe at night from all maurauding pack dogs.

View attachment 46997
That's a bit like solving the city crime problem by rounding up all the people at night and keeping them inside with a curfew to avoid the criminals. Maybe instead build a stockage and corral all the dogs who don't know how to behave properly. Electric fence on the perimeter. This should keep the people and nice dogs safe all the time? Uh, oh. Sounds like a dog prison. I'm not criticizing the Thai people in general, just the ones who choose to keep dogs that threaten others, and don't control them. That problem is not limited to Thailand, but (at least in our village, and even Bangkok) is much more prevalent than in most places I've visited. Switzerland, for example, would be much less attractive to hikers if it allowed this. I cannot remember being threatened by a local dog while trekking there. Likewise Bhutan, Scotland, Ireland, New Zealand, the USA, Japan, Taiwan, and even Vietnam to name a few. Hawaii happens to have a feral cat problem it is not dealing with for political reasons. It's not easy. We're discouraging our in-laws from solving the problem by keeping a pack of their own aggressive dogs at the rice fields. Just my opinions. No easy answers here.

In my early Surin days there were trucks with cages on the back which went around collecting/capturing the strays (basically wild dogs) for the dog eating meat trade. We had problems in the neighborhood with these nasty mutts. Women and kids were afraid to walk by their areas of dominion. They were quite aggressive and numerous. The neighborhood poo yai got rid of them eventually. Don't ask me how, but one day they were all gone, never to be seen again.

Here's a story. My old man when he was a teen had a house he would have to walk by daily. The owners had a very aggressive mutt that would charge him and try to bite him (no fencing). One day he went and knocked on their door. When the owner answered my Dad told the guy about the dog always trying to bite him. He warned the man, 'If your dog ends up biting me I will kill him.' The owner was of course stupid and became angry. 'I am just giving you fair warning.' my Dad told him and walked away. It came to pass one day the dog got him by the calf from behind and latched on good. My old man grabbed the mutt and strangled it to death, walked to the front door and knocked and when the owner answered he thrust the dog at him and told he he had warned him if the dog bit him he would kill it, and walked away to go to the doctor's office to have the deep bite treated. True story told me by my grandfather, corroborated by my father. Was told this a long long time ago, so I forget what breed the dog was, but it was said it was not a small dog.

I gave up long ago trying to walk my dogs here. Used to have to carry a big solid wooden staff to keep the strays away. A pain in the ass really. And the strays are everywhere no matter where you try to walk your dog.

On the cost of killing a dog here. I had a mixed breed Thai bitch we kept behind a gate during the day, but in the evenings would be let onto the soi with all the other houses in the neighborhoods dogs for some exercise, as is done here in Surin, or was at least. One night our dog was attacked by some smaller yappy little thing. Our dog just grabbed it and basically broke its neck. A quick and clean kill. The people who owned the little dog (not a pup, full grown it was) were upset and demanded we pay to replace their dog. This was stupid in my mind and pissed me off. Dogs will be dogs and will fight. I also stated that our dog had just as much right to be out with all the other neighborhood dogs in the soi. My wife convinced me to pay, as they were making a big stink about it. But I told them if it happened again I would never pay again, and told them to get a real dog and not some piece of yappy aggressive lap fluff. I forget what we paid, but it was a dumb amount of baht (it was a pure bred fluff ball that should not have been let out on the street really to fend for itself). Ticked me off. Our dog was a medium sized Thai mutt like most you see around here. Not aggressive or trying to bite people. A good girl.

I agree poison is a bad idea. In NZ, they have aerial dropped it in forested areas, so there is little control of who finds it. That's the controversy (or was, maybe they've changed the policy). The intention is good (control the invasive species, Australian possums that out-compete native animals) but the result is mixed. I don't know the whole complex situation and am not in a position to judge. I was in California when there was an invasion of an Asian fruit fly threatening California's huge agricultural production. The governor opted to spray a sticky bait with a very fruitfly specific poison over the whole affected area, including residential homes. I'm not kidding. You had to cover up your cars to avoid paint damage! Crazy. It did work in that case.

That's a bit like solving the city crime problem by rounding up all the people at night and keeping them inside with a curfew to avoid the criminals. Maybe instead build a stockage and corral all the dogs who don't know how to behave properly. Electric fence on the perimeter. This should keep the people and nice dogs safe all the time? Uh, oh. Sounds like a dog prison. I'm not criticizing the Thai people in general, just the ones who choose to keep dogs that threaten others, and don't control them. That problem is not limited to Thailand, but (at least in our village, and even Bangkok) is much more prevalent than in most places I've visited. Switzerland, for example, would be much less attractive to hikers if it allowed this. I cannot remember being threatened by a local dog while trekking there. Likewise Bhutan, Scotland, Ireland, New Zealand, the USA, Japan, Taiwan, and even Vietnam to name a few. Hawaii happens to have a feral cat problem it is not dealing with for political reasons. It's not easy. We're discouraging our in-laws from solving the problem by keeping a pack of their own aggressive dogs at the rice fields. Just my opinions. No easy answers here.
I won't get to much into the laying of 1080 poison in New Zealand.
It has become to complex.
I started hunting at the age of 16 and hunted most of my life. I spent 6 years as a professional hunter for the New Zealand Govt.
During that 6 years I was involved in the use of 1080 and cyanide poison.
The destruction of the flora and fauna by introduced animals had become devastating.
Some of the animals I am talking about were dear, goats, pigs. opossums rats and stoats.
For many years control by manual labour shooting and poisoning was not successful.

Private enterprise became involved using helicopters to shoot for deer to export venison overseas.
This led to live capture of deer for farming.
This brought deer under control.
Not anything else
We used 1080 poison before the helicopters.
But that was to eradicate opossums.
And only in small areas.

It was decide to target most of NZ bush for opossum, rats and stoats

This where the NZ Deerstalkers Association came and started protesting that the 1080 would wipe out all the deer.Then other groups became into the protest picture saying that secondary poisoning would occur and eventually poison humans.

They were saying that NZ national icon the Kiwi and all native birds would die.
Birds can eat a higher amount of 1080 than a human before they die.
Dead kiwi's were shown and it was said they had been killed by eating 1080.
It was found that the poison had not killed them.
This what some radicals did.
Kiwi do not eat a bait. Goats will not eat a bait.
There were big protests over the use of poisoning.
The protesters knew nothing.
It was blindly follow the leaders.
The opossum has almost been eradicated.
The deer and plenty of them are in better condition and producing some beautiful heads
The NZ bush is now recovering.
The bird life is still there.
If it had not been for the massive air drops of 1080 poison.
New Zealand bush and bird life would disappear
Sadly many protesters. Even when they want to good. Lack the knowledge of what they are protesting about.
There is so much more.
I have gained extensive knowledge of hunting and the NZ oudoors.
I do not like poison.
But it had to be done and must continue until a better method is found.

The people here will never become educated about stray dogs.
So the dogs have to be destroyed.
How I cannot say.
Sad that once again animals must pay the price of human stupidity and ignorance.
I love dogs.

I love Lanatard for the extermination of dogs that would come on to my property and kill my geese, Guinea Fowl and anything it so desired.
I sprinkled the blue powder (herbicide) over scrapped roast chicken that was the placed in plastic bags in my rubbish pit where I burnt rubbish later. Worked every time and so quick, mangy dogs were dead still at the pit. One made it to the dam and I pulled it's body out to Bury.
When I returned to Australia, other dogs returned and wiped out my geese and guinea fowl completely.
Wait until we go back...I'll get even!

This ain't no party, this ain't no disco,
This ain't no fooling around
No time for dancing, or lovey dovey,
I ain't got time for that now

"I've got three passports
A couple of visas.
You don't even know my real name."

Terrific TH song @mario299 .
Lyrics have become quite meaningful over time.

In my early Surin days there were trucks with cages on the back which went around collecting/capturing the strays (basically wild dogs) for the dog eating meat trade. We had problems in the neighborhood with these nasty mutts. Women and kids were afraid to walk by their areas of dominion. They were quite aggressive and numerous. The neighborhood poo yai got rid of them eventually. Don't ask me how, but one day they were all gone, never to be seen again.

Here's a story. My old man when he was a teen had a house he would have to walk by daily. The owners had a very aggressive mutt that would charge him and try to bite him (no fencing). One day he went and knocked on their door. When the owner answered my Dad told the guy about the dog always trying to bite him. He warned the man, 'If your dog ends up biting me I will kill him.' The owner was of course stupid and became angry. 'I am just giving you fair warning.' my Dad told him and walked away. It came to pass one day the dog got him by the calf from behind and latched on good. My old man grabbed the mutt and strangled it to death, walked to the front door and knocked and when the owner answered he thrust the dog at him and told he he had warned him if the dog bit him he would kill it, and walked away to go to the doctor's office to have the deep bite treated. True story told me by my grandfather, corroborated by my father. Was told this a long long time ago, so I forget what breed the dog was, but it was said it was not a small dog.

I gave up long ago trying to walk my dogs here. Used to have to carry a big solid wooden staff to keep the strays away. A pain in the ass really. And the strays are everywhere no matter where you try to walk your dog.

On the cost of killing a dog here. I had a mixed breed Thai bitch we kept behind a gate during the day, but in the evenings would be let onto the soi with all the other houses in the neighborhoods dogs for some exercise, as is done here in Surin, or was at least. One night our dog was attacked by some smaller yappy little thing. Our dog just grabbed it and basically broke its neck. A quick and clean kill. The people who owned the little dog (not a pup, full grown it was) were upset and demanded we pay to replace their dog. This was stupid in my mind and pissed me off. Dogs will be dogs and will fight. I also stated that our dog had just as much right to be out with all the other neighborhood dogs in the soi. My wife convinced me to pay, as they were making a big stink about it. But I told them if it happened again I would never pay again, and told them to get a real dog and not some piece of yappy aggressive lap fluff. I forget what we paid, but it was a dumb amount of baht (it was a pure bred fluff ball that should not have been let out on the street really to fend for itself). Ticked me off. Our dog was a medium sized Thai mutt like most you see around here. Not aggressive or trying to bite people. A good girl.

Some 25 years ago, whilst living in Jomtien my daughter was bitten by the aggressive dog from the guesthouse at the bottom of my soi. After having her cleaned up at the hospital and given the first of 3 rabies jabs at 1,800bt I apprached the owner and demanded he shackle/destroy or get rid of the dog and pay me the 1,.800bt He refused on all counts

2 hours later I revisited with a senior police officer from Pattaya. The dog was taken away and I received 3,000bt for hospital charges and compensation.

The man never spoke to me again until 7 years later, when he bought my house.

My house was in the soi which adjoined the then Royal Jomtien Hotel, which caught fire with the loss of over 100 lives. There were, and still are ghosts everywhere. My house was wanted for Thai families to rent at weekends, The first guests saw ghosts, word got around and the house was -so far as I have been told - never rented out again!

This ain't no party, this ain't no disco,
This ain't no fooling around
No time for dancing, or lovey dovey,
I ain't got time for that now
Life in Wartime, Talking Heads. Byrne (a Scottish-American) is one of the most original poets/songwriters of the era. I'm a huge fan
"I've got three passports
A couple of visas.
You don't even know my real name."

Terrific TH song @mario299 .
Lyrics have become quite meaningful over time.

I won't get to much into the laying of 1080 poison in New Zealand.
It has become to complex.
I started hunting at the age of 16 and hunted most of my life. I spent 6 years as a professional hunter for the New Zealand Govt.
During that 6 years I was involved in the use of 1080 and cyanide poison.
The destruction of the flora and fauna by introduced animals had become devastating.
Some of the animals I am talking about were dear, goats, pigs. opossums rats and stoats.
For many years control by manual labour shooting and poisoning was not successful.

Private enterprise became involved using helicopters to shoot for deer to export venison overseas.
This led to live capture of deer for farming.
This brought deer under control.
Not anything else
We used 1080 poison before the helicopters.
But that was to eradicate opossums.
And only in small areas.

It was decide to target most of NZ bush for opossum, rats and stoats

This where the NZ Deerstalkers Association came and started protesting that the 1080 would wipe out all the deer.Then other groups became into the protest picture saying that secondary poisoning would occur and eventually poison humans.

They were saying that NZ national icon the Kiwi and all native birds would die.
Birds can eat a higher amount of 1080 than a human before they die.
Dead kiwi's were shown and it was said they had been killed by eating 1080.
It was found that the poison had not killed them.
This what some radicals did.
Kiwi do not eat a bait. Goats will not eat a bait.
There were big protests over the use of poisoning.
The protesters knew nothing.
It was blindly follow the leaders.
The opossum has almost been eradicated.
The deer and plenty of them are in better condition and producing some beautiful heads
The NZ bush is now recovering.
The bird life is still there.
If it had not been for the massive air drops of 1080 poison.
New Zealand bush and bird life would disappear
Sadly many protesters. Even when they want to good. Lack the knowledge of what they are protesting about.
There is so much more.
I have gained extensive knowledge of hunting and the NZ oudoors.
I do not like poison.
But it had to be done and must continue until a better method is found.

The people here will never become educated about stray dogs.
So the dogs have to be destroyed.
How I cannot say.
Sad that once again animals must pay the price of human stupidity and ignorance.
I love dogs.
Ah, the tramping in NZ! Some of the best in the world. I hope I'm allowed back one post-Covid day. NZ is still rather pristine.
The Kiwis have done one thing right: severely restricting immigration so they are not swamped by rich folks fleeing their degraded home countries. One thing wrong: allowing foreigners to buy land (one thing Thailand has gotten right)

Fiordland National Park, South Island NZ
IMG_7838.JPG

I miss NZ a lot. You say about rich folks buying land. I agree with you that Thailand has got it right. In fact I think most of if not all of Asia is like that.
What is happening in NZ is that rich from Silicone Valley are buying citizenship in NZ and that is allowing them to buy large areas of land in the South Island.
Great photo.
I hope you can return there one day.

Some 25 years ago, whilst living in Jomtien my daughter was bitten by the aggressive dog from the guesthouse at the bottom of my soi. After having her cleaned up at the hospital and given the first of 3 rabies jabs at 1,800bt I apprached the owner and demanded he shackle/destroy or get rid of the dog and pay me the 1,.800bt He refused on all counts

2 hours later I revisited with a senior police officer from Pattaya. The dog was taken away and I received 3,000bt for hospital charges and compensation.

The man never spoke to me again until 7 years later, when he bought my house.

My house was in the soi which adjoined the then Royal Jomtien Hotel, which caught fire with the loss of over 100 lives. There were, and still are ghosts everywhere. My house was wanted for Thai families to rent at weekends, The first guests saw ghosts, word got around and the house was -so far as I have been told - never rented out again!
They should focus on the less superstitious farang renters market. I'm sure if the rent was right they'd find plenty westerners to rent the place a week or month at a time.

On the topic of ghosts, but off topic..apologies. Probably the best restaurant in PKC is closed as just before Christmas the owner hung himself in the restaurant bar. The widow may re-open, but with 90% Thai customers, I doubt many of them will be returning.

My
I miss NZ a lot. You say about rich folks buying land. I agree with you that Thailand has got it right. In fact I think most of if not all of Asia is like that.
What is happening in NZ is that rich from Silicone Valley are buying citizenship in NZ and that is allowing them to buy large areas of land in the South Island.
Great photo.
I hope you can return there one day
My kiwi family lives in Auckland. My Kiwi daughter who lived with us for a year in California is now a doctor there. She says that Chinese have driven the price of homes in better neighborhoods in Auckland up into the $1M range and aren’t necessarily even living in the homes.

Attachments

• D514C440-88F7-4DC5-BEEF-D543E6494199.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 8
My

My kiwi family lives in Auckland. My Kiwi daughter who lived with us for a year in California is now a doctor there. She says that Chinese have driven the price of homes in better neighborhoods in Auckland up into the $1M range and aren’t necessarily even living in the homes.
Your Kiwi daughter is right in what she says about the Chinese.
They have been doing that for years in Auckland.

Back