Wild dog control

Stargazer

Surin Legend
We're having a problem with packs of aggressive mongrel local dogs coming out at night trying to kill young calves. Any suggestions? In the USA, I have a rifle, am trained in firearm safety, and am allowed to shoot any dogs that come on our property harassing livestock. However, gun rules may be different here. My wife tells me that if you accidentally run over one of the many dogs lying in the middle of the road, you must pay the owner compensation for the value of the animal. In many cases, that would seem to be about 10THB at most, IMHO.

Anyone else in the forum had this kind of problem with their livestock?

Some 30 years ago, following a burglary, I was told it was in order to shoot an intruder on your premises, but that should I do so, it would be preferable to say the wife did the shooting. If its OK to shoot a human on your property, i would imagine shooting a dog attacking ones calves would be just fine!

But is it legal to buy/own a rifle here? As much as I love Thai food, I've heard it's not as tasty in Thai prisons. I follow the letter of the law here as a visitor.

But is it legal to buy/own a rifle here? As much as I love Thai food, I've heard it's not as tasty in Thai prisons. I follow the letter of the law here as a visitor.
The National Legislative Assembly has passed amendments to the Firearms Act that prohibits foreigners from seeking a permit to have and use a gun in Thailand.

Some 30 years ago, following a burglary, I was told it was in order to shoot an intruder on your premises, but that should I do so, it would be preferable to say the wife did the shooting. If its OK to shoot a human on your property, i would imagine shooting a dog attacking ones calves would be just fine!
+1

The National Legislative Assembly has passed amendments to the Firearms Act that prohibits foreigners from seeking a permit to have and use a gun in Thailand.

It's your wife's firearm and she must register it and be tested in using it. Whatever happens, she fired the gun!
Nudge, nudge!!!!@

Every time I think about moving back to Thailand another reason not to pops up. Damn!

We're having a problem with packs of aggressive mongrel local dogs coming out at night trying to kill young calves. Any suggestions? In the USA, I have a rifle, am trained in firearm safety, and am allowed to shoot any dogs that come on our property harassing livestock. However, gun rules may be different here. My wife tells me that if you accidentally run over one of the many dogs lying in the middle of the road, you must pay the owner compensation for the value of the animal. In many cases, that would seem to be about 10THB at most, IMHO.

Anyone else in the forum had this kind of problem with their livestock?
Surely mate, a trip to see the local BIB, and a brown envelope would make the problem go away.

I was disappointed that foriegners can't posses Bang Fai rockets including the round spinning ones.

It's been years since a woman asked if " is that a rocket in your pocket ?", I was thinking perhaps I had lost some of my mojo but apparently Thais all know it would be illegal to be there.

I think I won't go there. My wife loathes and fears the aggressive dogs, and given her feelings, might choose to use RPGs on them. That would be ok with me, but could draw criticism from neighbors :smirk: I've got quite an investment in my family farm here now, and need to get retirement visa renewals for 20+ years. Thanks for the advice, all! Maybe I'll teach my young water buffalo some Krav Maga instead.

I think I won't go there. My wife loathes and fears the aggressive dogs, and given her feelings, might choose to use RPGs on them. That would be ok with me, but could draw criticism from neighbors :smirk: I've got quite an investment in my family farm here now, and need to get retirement visa renewals for 20+ years. Thanks for the advice, all! Maybe I'll teach my young water buffalo some Krav Maga instead.
You could put poisonous bait out for them, as long as your own animals didn't eat it. Work on the principle that if they didn;t enter your premises they would not die.

This was never a problem in the past. This is the unexpected consequence of Yingluck passing the animal protection act and enforcing the abolishment of the bucket truck.
Being a dog lover ,it tears me to pieces in conflict thinking it was a necessary evil. And it was evil. But it prevented Rabies that was never before a problem, but is now and dog attacks. This does not answer the question though.

This was never a problem in the past. This is the unexpected consequence of Yingluck passing the animal protection act and enforcing the abolishment of the bucket truck.
Being a dog lover ,it tears me to pieces in conflict thinking it was a necessary evil. And it was evil. But it prevented Rabies that was never before a problem, but is now and dog attacks. This does not answer the question though.
I, too, am a dog lover. I have had several good dogs for their whole lives, including a long hair German shepherd and a Samoyed. We could go out walking with our dog in our neighborhood in California, and not have any issues with neighbor dogs. In our village here, there are several streets where we cannot walk with our dog without it being attacked by dogs living in houses along the road. People don't seem to feel any responsibility for controlling aggressive dogs. One of our dogs, a large retriever type, doesn't start fights, but will defend himself. He currently has a 3" diameter open wound on the side of his head that he may not recover from. My wife is afraid to go out walking with our 9 month old grandson past some of these houses. Her son got bitten on the foot while bicycling here as a child. This is not a good situation, IMHO. It seems out of place in 'the land of smiles'.

I, too, am a dog lover. I have had several good dogs for their whole lives, including a long hair German shepherd and a Samoyed. We could go out walking with our dog in our neighborhood in California, and not have any issues with neighbor dogs. In our village here, there are several streets where we cannot walk with our dog without it being attacked by dogs living in houses along the road. People don't seem to feel any responsibility for controlling aggressive dogs. One of our dogs, a large retriever type, doesn't start fights, but will defend himself. He currently has a 3" diameter open wound on the side of his head that he may not recover from. My wife is afraid to go out walking with our 9 month old grandson past some of these houses. Her son got bitten on the foot while bicycling here as a child. This is not a good situation, IMHO. It seems out of place in 'the land of smiles'.

What kind of fookin' neighborhood did you move into !?!

(Ooops...shame on me for writing, eh.)

Seriously Mel, get yourself suited up and stop listening to the poison BS.
All it takes is one village kid to do something stupid and you will be lynched...or worse.
Poison kills more than just dogs. It eventually will be used against you.

Sure you are now in farming country >>> (1) As a rancher you require your own pack of dogs to protect your herd. Four or five decent size dogs should easily do the trick.
(2) Have a family member or other whom you pay to sleep out in the barn at night.
(3) Provide and walk with your wife carrying a decent stick when on the soi walking by terrorizing-dog homes...(doesn't hurt to use a 9-iron)
(4-a) Have your Mrs invite the poo-yai over for drinks (b) make sure your neighbors have been forewarned.

(jimho because it has worked on darling's family squat)

Caveat: I'll visit but I don't overnight along their domain.

Last edited:
Build a stockade and corral the herd at night. Electric fence on the outer perimeter. That should keep the cows and their calves safe at night from all maurauding pack dogs.

1642235366610.png

I see you are starting to see. It is not all smiles. A Thai will be smiling right up until the moment they plunge the knife in.
Nothing is out of place, besides your rose coloured glasses.
I may become like you, Rice, in time. Someone said that ‘being wise feels a lot like being old and tired’. All tribes have a disparity between what they believe themselves to be and how they actually behave. The USA is a case in point. There is much that is good in the Thai culture, if you look beneath the myth. In Hawaii we have the myth of Aloha, which, like the Thai smile, is a good-hearted ideal not always realized in day to day life, but still real and worthwhile. I hope I can continue to remember the ideal despite the flaws.

Back