Woman teacher, husband charged with burglary in Buriram

gotlost

Kap Chong R Us Member
My wife has always kept informed of what's going on in Thailand, via news reports on the internet and our staff in Surin, reckons the place is becoming very dangerous.
Reports like GL has posted here suggest that things are seemingly going like that. The murder of the couple in Phrae and so many other things we read about. I scrolled down on the Bangkok Post report where readers can comment gives the impression that many expats are ready to move on or are ready to look at alternatives.
Of course after living there for 20 years almost, I know how stupid things can happen...but is it becoming more violent and more difficult to put up with.
Possibly our Forum members may think it's still as always and not a concern.
Contributions to a discussion would be appreciated.

I find it no worse in Thailand than it is in the west. I have it from a very good source that the Knock Shops on the river in Phnom Penh have exploded in numbers as Thailand aka Sin City has put the squeeze on.

Like @Surin, I find the number of incidences of mindless violence, robbery, rape and murder shown on the news each day shows an increasing trend. However, tucked away in a quiet soi in Surin, minding our own business and keeping a low profile, life seems relatively carefree and peaceful. That said, we are aware that burglary seems to be on the increase and personally know of people who have been victims of this. One night quite recently, six adjacent house were done simultaneously in a quiet soi a couple of kilometers away. None of the victims had any security measures installed on the houses although they do now. After the horse has bolted comes to mind. We take simple precautions, security screens on the door and windows, 4 x CCTV IR cameras strategically placed around the house and 2 noisy and aggressive Labradors prowling the grounds to deter would be thieves. Is the place becoming dangerous, or perhaps more dangerous, than other countries in which I would wish to live? I don't think so. Would I consider returning to my country of birth, the UK? Most definitely not. For one reason, I could never afford to get back on the housing ladder, and secondly, I would never want to even if I had unlimited financial means to support myself. Would I consider relocating to another Asian country with my family? Most definitely not. My three Thai family members would never agree to moving to another Asian country. Do I want to see any changes to my life in Thailand? Not really, there is only one thing I would like to see change and that is an increase in the Pound to Baht exchange rate. That would certainly make life a little more comfortable than it already is.

In conclusion, I am in Thailand for the long haul, for better or worse. If you lead a simple life, don't get involved in love trysts or triangles, keep your nose clean and avoid confrontation with the locals, I don't think the perceived dangers of living in Thailand will affect you. Most of the people you first met and came to know when you first came to Thailand are still the same today as they were way back when. They may be a little older, but then again so are you. Hopefully we all are a little older and wiser with the passage of time.

Last edited:
I feel no more in danger now because..
1) I live in an even quieter/slower place than Surin.
2) I socialize less now than before.
3) I keep myself to myself more than before with a small circle of good friends and have less interest in others business.
4) I work and meet with some educated, interesting Thais.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Like @Surin, I find the number of incidences of mindless violence, robbery, rape and murder shown on the news each day shows an increasing trend. However, tucked away in a quiet soi in Surin, minding our own business and keeping a low profile, life seems relatively carefree and peaceful. That said, we are aware that burglary seems to be on the increase and personally know of people who have been victims of this. One night quite recently, six adjacent house were done simultaneously in a quiet soi a couple of kilometers away. None of the victims had any security measures installed on the houses although they do now. After the horse has bolted comes to mind. We take simple precautions, security screens on the door and windows, 4 x CCTV IR cameras strategically placed around the house and 2 noisy and aggressive Labradors prowling the grounds to deter would be thieves. Is the place becoming dangerous, or perhaps more dangerous, than other countries in which I would wish to live? I don't think so. Would I consider returning to my country of birth, the UK? Most definitely not. For one reason, I could never afford to get back on the housing ladder, and secondly, I would never want to even if I had unlimited financial means to support myself. Would I consider relocating to another Asian country with my family? Most definitely not. My three Thai family members would never agree to moving to another Asian country. Do I want to see any changes to my life in Thailand? Not really, there is only one thing I would like to see change and that is an increase in the Pound to Baht exchange rate. That would certainly make life a little more comfortable than it already is.

In conclusion, I am in Thailand for the long haul, for better or worse. If you lead a simple life, don't get involved in love trysts or triangles, keep your nose clean and avoid confrontation with the locals, I don't think the perceived dangers of living in Thailand will affect you. Most of the people you first met and came to know when you first came to Thailand are still the same today as they were way back when. They may be a little older, but then again so are you. Hopefully we all are a little older and wiser with the passage of time.

I agree in full with the 2nd paragraph. I would just add to that - try not to react to the crazies on the roads, that race past you, cut you up etc. Difficult sometimes, but you never know if they might use the gun that so many have concealed on their vehicle.

As for security grilles on doors and windows, I have always resisted this. It is my HOME not a prison. I did have a burglar alarm in my Jomtien home, and have similar security in my village home. CCTV is fine but does not stop a burglary, and once caught (if caught) by the Police, the penalties are so pathetic, and chances of getting anything back are slim.

Thailand is know different to any country in the world with its Crime rate .
The thing about Thailand lots of the crime dose not get reported.
The crime rate would be Very bad as there are
70 million people, and lots of poverty that would make the crime rate go up .

Back