Work permit rule delayed for Surin market Cambodians

gotlost

Kap Chong R Us Member
An interesting situation. These vendors "have no passports or visas", so how can they be issued work permits? But if the authorities allow a more flexible approach, they are simply inviting illegal immigrants. And we all know what they think (officially) about people overstaying their welcome!

An interesting situation. These vendors "have no passports or visas", so how can they be issued work permits? But if the authorities allow a more flexible approach, they are simply inviting illegal immigrants. And we all know what they think (officially) about people overstaying their welcome!

By all reports that can not enter Thailand without a valid passport. NO ID cards are allowed. Thats direct from Thai Immigration at Choeng Chom and that also applies to all foreigners and Thais that want to cross into Cambodia at the crossing.

The Sois of Bangkok are humming with the sounds of rampant racism. I have never heard it quite like this before. Folk are saying Khmer, Burmese, , , are stealing all the jobs.
To back up my investigations I talked to Isaan taxi drivers. They said, the economy sucks big time and people have lost a bit of patience. They also said the Thais had brought it on themselves by being too complacent and lazy. As we pulled around the side of Swampy. I noticed hundreds of cabs parked in the overflow parking. I asked what is going on.
My driver said the only foreigners that are coming are Chinese, and they don't hire cabs. Consequently I was his first decent fair in two whole days. The other cabs were waiting out a decent fair to make ends meet, as driving around looking for fairs is costly.
I also heard in The Sois that with the new overstay rules, foreigners were burning their passports as they crossed the boarder. If arrested they would give a fake name so they were not barred from reentry or have to pay the heavy fine. Don't ask me how this would work as I can't see this as being logical, as they have a record of your real name already when you entered on a new passport you would surely be picked up on reentry, or maybe not.

The Sois of Bangkok are humming with the sounds of rampant racism. I have never heard it quite like this before. Folk are saying Khmer, Burmese, , , are stealing all the jobs.
To back up my investigations I talked to Isaan taxi drivers. They said, the economy sucks big time and people have lost a bit of patience. They also said the Thais had brought it on themselves by being too complacent and lazy. As we pulled around the side of Swampy. I noticed hundreds of cabs parked in the overflow parking. I asked what is going on.
My driver said the only foreigners that are coming are Chinese, and they don't hire cabs. Consequently I was his first decent fair in two whole days. The other cabs were waiting out a decent fair to make ends meet, as driving around looking for fairs is costly.
I also heard in The Sois that with the new overstay rules, foreigners were burning their passports as they crossed the boarder. If arrested they would give a fake name so they were not barred from reentry or have to pay the heavy fine. Don't ask me how this would work as I can't see this as being logical, as they have a record of your real name already when you entered on a new passport you would surely be picked up on reentry, or maybe not.

Sounds like a job for Donald Trump.:D

Sounds like a job for Donald Trump.:D
Trump would suggest building a wall between Myanmar and Thailand; another somewhere just west of Korat to keep out Isaan. A third would no doubt be in the deep south to keep out the Muslims. He and the Bangkok Thais probably deserve each other. Does the proposed new constitution bar New Yorkers from standing for office?

The house has 19 windows that required curtains, and being a self-confessed cheapskate passing through Chom Chong, I swayed into the market, finding material that matched the depth of my pockets. I was happy with the purchases, but discovered that the stall holder had provided several that were the wrong length, necessitating a return trip the next day for longer ones. She had given me more curtains than was on the list that I'd given her detailing the numbers and sizes, and charged for them. Mistake number one was giving me the short ones. Mistake number two was refusing to take them back in lieu of my buying longer ones. I'd already checked if another stall had the same pattern and colour, to no avail, so I politely suggested that she reconsidered the situation. She refused, rudely. That burst my good natured bubble so having established that she wasn't the owner, I suggested that she find her, pronto. She wasn't in town, I was told. I asked if she had a work permit. No was the reply. So I said, quite loudly, that I would call the immigration department immediately. That brought the owner, running, together with a small crowd of onlookers. She refused my kind offer to swap the short curtains for longer ones plus cash until I repeated my threat and walked away in the general direction of where I assumed there might be officials. She ran after me with cash and replacement curtains... Meanwhile, MBH was looking very anxious in case a machete flew my way, or a gun-carrying Khmer appeared. We left with the money and the correct curtains. This was around 15 months ago. They may be poor by Western standards,and the curtains were great value, but the wedge of notes from which she pulled my refund would have bought enough booze to sink the Thai Navy, so I wasn't in the least sorry for her.
The story illustrates their concerns regarding work permits rather than my possibly reckless action.

Nice story and a good deal at Chong Chom if one knows "how to negotiate".

Well done Merlin ;) though I can't understand why one wouldn't have their SWMBO take the reigns on a 'negotiated' purchase with another...and then receive the approval for the deal from her ATM.
You're a brave man, Merlin. :rolleyes:

Back