Worldwide ranking of education systems

isanbirder

Surin Dinosaur
It's no surprise that Asians are at the top (and Thailand is nowhere). UK are 6th, US 14th. Australia 15th.

TOP 20 EDUCATION SYSTEMS

South Korea
Japan
Singapore
Hong Kong
Finland
UK
Canada
Netherlands
Ireland
Poland
Denmark
Germany
Russia
United States
Australia
New Zealand
Israel
Belgium
Czech Republic
Switzerland
Source: Pearson/ Economist Intelligence Unit

These rankings are based upon an amalgamation of international tests and education data - including the OECD's Pisa tests, and two major US-based studies, Trends in International Mathematics and Science Study (Timss) and Progress in International Reading Literacy Study (Pirls).

They also include higher-education graduation rates, which helped the UK to a much higher position than in Pisa tests, which saw the UK failing to make the top 20.

A Learning Curve report accompanying the ranking says that the success of top-performing Asian countries reflects a culture in which teachers and schools are highly respected and "teachers, students and parents all take responsibility for education".

It's no surprise that Asians are at the top (and Thailand is nowhere). UK are 6th, US 14th. Australia 15th.

TOP 20 EDUCATION SYSTEMS

South Korea
Japan
Singapore
Hong Kong
Finland
UK
Canada
Netherlands
Ireland
Poland
Denmark
Germany
Russia
United States
Australia
New Zealand
Israel
Belgium
Czech Republic
Switzerland

These rankings are based upon an amalgamation of international tests and education data - including the OECD's Pisa tests, and two major US-based studies, Trends in International Mathematics and Science Study (Timss) and Progress in International Reading Literacy Study (Pirls).

They also include higher-education graduation rates, which helped the UK to a much higher position than in Pisa tests, which saw the UK failing to make the top 20.

A Learning Curve report accompanying the ranking says that the success of top-performing Asian countries reflects a culture in which teachers and schools are highly respected and "teachers, students and parents all take responsibility for education".

The last sentence says it all.

TOP 20 EDUCATION SYSTEMS

South Korea
Japan
Singapore
Hong Kong
Finland
UK
Canada
Netherlands
Ireland
Poland
Denmark
Germany
Russia
United States
Australia
New Zealand
Israel
Belgium
Czech Republic
Switzerland

Then why are you Poms so dumb then IB? Aussies are always smarter..Cameron even uses one.

I wonder if other countries education systems "fudge" the exam statistics by allowing only those students that their schools consider will obtain passes to sit the exams.

I say "fudge" the statisitics as that may be a way of ensuring that the pass rates are higher than if all students were allowed entry...

When I started the fifth year at my old grammar school, English Literature was not a subject available to my classmates at GCE "O-Level." Why? I asked. I was told by the Head that in my class, pupils were not expected to achieve pass marks in the subject. I objected and was told that if I had discussed this with him at the end of the first year at the school, I would have been upgraded to a suitable class...

As far as I can see, that is no more honest in terms of assessing a school (or country) than the practice of paying a teacher extra for private tuition here in the hope that he or she will assist with "upgrading" the student's subsequent exam results, irrespective of his/her ability.

So, when I see charts that suggest different countries have better, or worse, achievements than others - based on examination statistics - the old pinch of salt is reached for.

And that is a rant.

I agree, Merlin.

Most ranking systems are flawed to a certain degree.... Top Cities, Top Tourist resorts, ..... you name it.

In the case of education, I think there is an element of truth in them, though. Note the comment about the UK's ranking at the bottom.

I worked with Hong Kong students for the best part of 26 years... and I reckon they deserve their high ranking. I would say the same of Singapore, and probably Japan and S Korea. Europe as a whole seems to keep a fairly high standard. I was surprised at how low Israel ranks, though.

Back