Chinese BBQ place on Soi Cola

Cent

FORUM SPONSOR
A friend last night turned me onto this place where he gets these tasty meat sticks. You choose from a glass case with many choices of meat sticks, pork, chicken, etc and the BBQ them over a fire in front of the place. Double wide shop with lots of room, not many tables, looked nice. Take away BBQ sticks are given to you in large paper cups. Will try it out one day soon. Was told there's a Chinese style hot sauce applied that is spicy first bite, but goes away quickly.

One thing that was different is they have a refrigerator on the back wall with Tsingtao Chinese beer bottled. What was odd and I have never seen before is they have Tsingtao flavors ... IPA, dark, light, and more. Never seen an IPA from Tsingtao before.

One thing that was different is they have a refrigerator on the back wall with Tsingtao Chinese beer bottled. What was odd and I have never seen before is they have Tsingtao flavors ... IPA, dark, light, and more. Never seen an IPA from Tsingtao before.

I drank Tsingtao quite a lot in Hong Kong. It was acceptable for an Asian brewed lager. However, the HK Chinese were adamant that since the brewery was taken over from the Germans, it had become infested with rats. That was back in the 90s so I would hope the problem has now been solved.

I drank Tsingtao quite a lot in Hong Kong. It was acceptable for an Asian brewed lager. However, the HK Chinese were adamant that since the brewery was taken over from the Germans, it had become infested with rats. That was back in the 90s so I would hope the problem has now been solved.
CHINESE RAT'S.

A friend last night turned me onto this place where he gets these tasty meat sticks. You choose from a glass case with many choices of meat sticks, pork, chicken, etc and the BBQ them over a fire in front of the place. Double wide shop with lots of room, not many tables, looked nice. Take away BBQ sticks are given to you in large paper cups. Will try it out one day soon. Was told there's a Chinese style hot sauce applied that is spicy first bite, but goes away quickly.

I'm wondering where they are getting the Tsingtao beer from. Never see it around town in the beer bins. Maybe have in TOPS?

Without this forum and its contributors, I would not have known yet about the "Chinese" BBQ spot on Soi Cola. I think it is called Tsingtao Mala but wouldn't swear to it!

One of the few disappointments of Thailand for me has been the so-called Chinese restaurants, pretty much all of which have been Thai style places with a Chinese font on the menu. I like UK style Chinese food, but do recognise that they are dishes modified greatly from their Chinese originals in order to appeal more to British palates (in many cases making them unrecognisable to native Chinese people!)

So it may be here too: Thai people tend to prefer Thai food to other variations. That apart, I have to say that I enjoyed dinner at the Soi Cola Chinese BBQ last night. The menu is entirely in Thai, with photos that don't lend much of a clue about the dishes' contents. Happily, Mrs Merlin was on hand to provide a rough translation.

Outside, as Cent wrote, there is a cabinet containing a variety of skewered meats. fish, and veggies. I wanted something more substantial than those, so went inside and found a fair few tables in clean and pleasant surroundings. Given the date, it was surprisingly sparsely populated with diners, but that could have been a blessing as the journey there was hampered by traffic that scarcely moved for a good (bad) 40 minutes or so! My car is now covered with Songkran powder, meaning that I save a couple of hours by not bothering to wash it yesterday! The noise of the revellers before reaching Soi Cola was incredible. Trucks were laden with loudspeakers playing sounds (I didn't say music!) at ear-bashing volumes, all in opposition to each other. Parking though was easy exactly opposite the restaurant.

So, I chose a chicken combo set to eat, along with the ice-cold Tsingtao. Herself had a bowl of moo grob which was delicious, accompanied by some strawberry tea (not revolting at all.) My combo was a bowl of stock with spring onions, the best side-salad I've had in Surin with a lovely dressing, BBQ'd chicken wings done to a turn with a slightly sweet sauce including sesame seeds, and a large bowl of very good steamed rice. I could enjoy it again right now!

Ice cream followed including pomegranate seed-sized dark jelly bits, all very refreshing. Madame had a fresh milk and honey ice cream which was also very nice. it cost 540 thb, and well worth that.

It seems that the venue is part of a franchise, but that didn't detract form the place. We will go again soon. I left my phone at home so photo will have to wait 'till the next visit.

Worth a try in my opinion.

Edit: I think this is the FB page: https://www.google.com/maps/uv?pb=!...UKEwjjoaCm06j-AhWyTGwGHb-nD6UQ7ZgBKAB6BAgWEAI

Last edited:
Back