Electricity Costs

Had an aircon unit fitted in the living room a few weeks ago and got the first full month leccy bill just now. Bills before were between 1300 and 1800. This one was 2680bht. Worth it. New aircon is an 1800 BTU unit.

Water bill for last 2 months was 88bht.
Don't know how much the Leo bill was

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just topped the 6,000 Baht mark for the electric bill and 400 Baht for water. The 3 aircons (18,000, 12,000 & 9,000 BTU) have been working overtime for the paast month - but necessary in this heat. Beer Leo bill zero - don't drink the stuff.

Meter just read 2 minutes ago. Last month's bill Bht 2,300.00, previous about Bht 1,700.00 with minimal a/c.

[A/c being serviced at the present time. Should reduce electricity useage a little].

Last edited:
Meter just read 2 minutes ago. Last month's bill Bht 2,300.00, previous about Bht 1,700.00 with minimal a/c.

[A/c being serviced at the present time. Should reduce electricity useage a little].

600 baht for keeping all that extra ARCHA cold.:D

pretty hot in Surin I reckon

my water bill is around 220/month and electricity around 1200 / month (including plenty of chilled Chang Leo and Singh)

Aircon folks were not impressed. The 18,000 Btu Mitsubishi unit is apparently deteriorating (14 years old). They've fitted a replacement motor and fan blade to the external unit which was under water 30 months ago and reckon it may be good for a while yet. The boss told us to keep our eyes open for special offers.

[Edit: Cooking fat reckons it's much better].

Last edited:
Shoot, I always thought my leccy bills were high, but they were for 2 houses. Confirms my mind not to use aircon. Firstly every time we stay somewhere with aircon the Thai family gets sick and now the costs, I'm not a cheap Charlie, but have a shower!! My water bills are zero, one of the joys of living in the sticks, no government water!!

Shoot, I always thought my leccy bills were high, but they were for 2 houses. Confirms my mind not to use aircon. Firstly every time we stay somewhere with aircon the Thai family gets sick and now the costs, I'm not a cheap Charlie, but have a shower!! My water bills are zero, one of the joys of living in the sticks, no government water!!

However, water bills are insignificant compared with electric bills. My water bill is around Bht 140.00/month. Of course there is the cost of electricity for the pump (which I guess we both have). Seriously, yesterday, I was initially watching the F1 race in the airconditioned bedroom but after my wife toddled off to Lobinson's with her mate, I relocated to the lounge (devoid of aircon) to watch the final 30 laps. One ceiling fan and one floor mounted fan (50% settings each) were sufficient to keep me comfortable in the 40 degC (outside) heat.

I am usually comfortable with temperatures up to 30 degrees C in the house provided the humidity is low. Once the humidity starts creeping up to the 90 degree mark I need my aircon. A comfortable room temperature for me is 28 degees C with a relatively low humidity. At night I like the temperature a couple of degrees lower at 26 degrees C - just perfect for the summer duvet on top of the bed. As Yorky might say, "One man's beer bill is another man's aircon bill."

Aircon folks were not impressed. The 18,000 Btu Mitsubishi unit is apparently deteriorating (14 years old). They've fitted a replacement motor and fan blade to the external unit which was under water 30 months ago and reckon it may be good for a while yet. The boss told us to keep our eyes open for special offers.

[Edit: Cooking fat reckons it's much better].

Know how you feel, my 18,000 Samsung is now in its 12th year. HomePro were doing quite a good offer on the Samsung 18,000 BTU units, both the digital inverter and standard unit. See: http://www.homepro.co.th/promotions/promotions/homepro-summer-sale. Both came with a wifi connection so that you could turn on the aircon remotely.

I've spent over 20 years in Asia now and have really made an effort to try to aclimatise to the temperatures. The desert in the Middle East at 50 degC was virtually impossible but the longest stint I did there was only one month. Spending almost 5 years in Malaysia/Singapore at virtually a constant 32/33 degC was a good entry level and I think that I am able to comfortably cope with the 40+ degrees here with just a little assistance from a fan or two or a punkah wallah.

[Edit: However, sleeping in 30 degC is pushing it so the aircon is employed]

find it easier to sleep in high temperatures than to sit/do something in the house with high temp,
so usually I spend the evening in the sala until its bedtime, outside offers some wind and lower temp

when getting down to sleep the body produces less Watts and the heartbeat slows down, high temp is OK for me

don't have aircon and don't really feel the need for it, (have PLENTY of fans though)
but I live in an old wooden house on stilts by a canal, the house doesn't stack up heat like a brick/cement/concrete house does,
and being canal side ensures some wind almost 24 hrs

My bill is due on 20th, and I expect it to top 6,000bt for the first time, even though for much of the last month, some or all of the family have been away. My water comes free from my bore, although I pay 10bt for each 20 litre bottle of drinking water, which normally lasts a maximum of 2 days.

Back