Pat's dads funeral

FERRET

WELL WORN MEMBER
As this was my first Thai funeral, I had little knowledge of what to expect, apart from heaps of people and a throng
of chanting monks.
The culmination blew me away as it was an outdoor, wood fired cremation in full view of all and sundry.
My daughters accounts of the charred remains of her grandfather were sickening.
As @Rice told me, this temple must be one of the last ones to still employ this barbaric method.PF 2.jpg

Barbaric in the primitive sense, not savage.

Cultural again. They would normally arrange the 'ashes' in the shape of a body and then place clothes over the top. Seeing the kids rifling through those ashes to try and find a 'lucky' tooth was a strange experience.

Jip lost her 2 year old son in a drowning accident. Sometime after the cremation we took a muslin bag of the ashes for scattering off the coast of Pattaya. It weighed about 6 kilos and there were bones the size of chicken wings. I own a crematorium in the UK and we burn them at around 900c - after 3-4 hours the residue is ground up in a cremulator; ashes are all that is left after that.

A small wat in the arse end of Surin does not have the luxury of such equipment.

Barbaric in the primitive sense, not savage.

Cultural again. They would normally arrange the 'ashes' in the shape of a body and then place clothes over the top. Seeing the kids rifling through those ashes to try and find a 'lucky' tooth was a strange experience.

Jip lost her 2 year old son in a drowning accident. Sometime after the cremation we took a muslin bag of the ashes for scattering off the coast of Pattaya. It weighed about 6 kilos and there were bones the size of chicken wings. I own a crematorium in the UK and we burn them at around 900c - after 3-4 hours the residue is ground up in a cremulator; ashes are all that is left after that.

A small wat in the arse end of Surin does not have the luxury of such equipment.
With all the money that is poured into Wats, especially at the arse end of Thailand, there is sufficient money for gold plated crematoria.............but the money somehow "disappears"

With all the money that is poured into Wats, especially at the arse end of Thailand, there is sufficient money for gold plated crematoria.............but the money somehow "disappears"
Agreed mate--how many local officials and under cover saffron mafia are living high on the hog on dirty money-heaps.

The culmination blew me away as it was an outdoor, wood fired cremation in full view of all.
As @Rice told me, this temple must be one of the last ones to still employ this barbaric method.View attachment 62430

I personally have never witnessed an outdoor barbie for human cremation in Thailand.
In Hindu India affirmative but not in Buddhist LOS.

RIP eternal to Pat's father and sincere condolences to your family.

Some time ago, circa 15 years. The local Wats in my area were going through the acquiring of gas crematoria. It was and still is, a central government initiative. There is strict funding that is used for it. As for the money, believe me there is not that much of it. For the record my monk friends do not live lavishly.
I am not one to wear any rose coloured glasses. I have seen the filth of corruption every where. But I have "Never" witnessed it in my local Wats.
Maybe you can give me examples of corruption that you have witnessed, so I can be more observant. You might of spent more time there then me..
I have seen charlatan monks in the back of pick ups. But they are not from my local Wats. If this is what you mean. Or the grand money machine temples. This is not what happens at your local Wat. All those years in Thailand and you truly know nothing, of really what happens at the Wats do you.?
Any way your opinion won't change and your free to bash Buddhism as much as you like. But I don't have to like it.

As this was my first Thai funeral, I had little knowledge of what to expect, apart from heaps of people and a throng
of chanting monks.
The culmination blew me away as it was an outdoor, wood fired cremation in full view of all and sundry.
My daughters accounts of the charred remains of her grandfather were sickening.
As @Rice told me, this temple must be one of the last ones to still employ this barbaric method.View attachment 62430
Your Khmer folk didn't make a very elaborate spirit ladder. A trunk of banana had to suffice. I hope your father in law was a good balancer.
He had to climb up that to get to heaven.

I was telling my wife about your father in laws cremation and she told me a heap of stories about when it was done in our village when she was a kid. Pretty ghoulish really, her uncles and aunts suddenly sitting up in the fire from the process of burning. She was told to go for a wander in the jungle when the burning started but she had to take a peek.

I was telling my wife about your father in laws cremation and she told me a heap of stories about when it was done in our village when she was a kid. Pretty ghoulish really, her uncles and aunts suddenly sitting up in the fire from the process of burning. She was told to go for a wander in the jungle when the burning started but she had to take a peek.
Yes mate, it's fairly off

Back