Rubber plantations

R

robert1200

Anyone know anything about rubber plantations?
Life expectancy of trees, yields expected, price of rubber, problems of returning land to crop etc.??

All I know is it is a long term investment. The sort of thing you may consider for your future generation and not for you (assuming most of us are 50+)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hearsay says, Don't touch it. I'm surprised GL has not already jumped in to say that farmers are cutting down their trees for charcoal.

There is one small plantation near my village. Half the trees have died, and the tapping cups are scattered about. This farmer is certainly not doing well with it.

Hearsay says, Don't touch it. I'm surprised GL has not already jumped in to say that farmers are cutting down their trees for charcoal.

There is one small plantation near my village. Half the trees have died, and the tapping cups are scattered about. This farmer is certainly not doing well with it.

The farmer have ran out of rubber trees and have moved on. :p The so called rubber plantations in my area are lying dormant.o_O Personally its a serious wast of money and time.:eek:

Many thanks for replies, will review the situation with her indoors. Been offered land with established plantation but suspect the reason for sale is more than just "we don't have time" more like "no profit".
Land nice and local but better if plantation cleared I think.

Many thanks for replies, will review the situation with her indoors. Been offered land with established plantation but suspect the reason for sale is more than just "we don't have time" more like "no profit".
Land nice and local but better if plantation cleared I think.

But will the existing plantation add to the price of the land? Plus, you will have the cost to clear all the trees. Another consideration, and I do not know this for fact, would the existing plantation deplete the spoil of all useful nutrients? Do some research first. Buyer beware!

But will the existing plantation add to the price of the land? Plus, you will have the cost to clear all the trees. Another consideration, and I do not know this for fact, would the existing plantation deplete the spoil of all useful nutrients? Do some research first. Buyer beware!

Durex trees do not deplete the soil nor do eucalyptus. Eucalyptus you can not grow any else until you remove the stumps and roots. Rubber trees take on an average of 7 years to become usable for tapping and during that time of growth you can grow other crops between the rows. After about 7 years the canopy of the rubber trees block out the sun light needed by other crops. As long as the sellers is not trying to regroup their investment then the land IMHO may be a good buy. Don't worry about the cosy of clearing. SWMBO family will take care of that. The timber they harvest will make them a nice profit.

My wife and I bought 9 rai just behind the family houses about 4 years ago and planted 700 rubber trees. We lost around 100 in the first year and replaced them with older saplings so that everything stayed more or less the same age.
We have put fertiliser each year, or rather paid someone to do it. We have ploughed up and down between the rows, paying someone for that. Mam's family has been growing short-term stuff in between the rows.
As GL says, can be 7 years before tapping depending on how cared for. We have certainly come to look at the project as a means of providing short-term cash crops and occasional paid employment for extended family rather than a means of getting a return and profit on our initial investment.

That will be right. They will leave you a nice paddock of stumps to deal with. You will have all of the problems and none of the profit.

Here is a nice story, if you needed anymore convincing.
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-slowdown-seen-weighing-on-price-through-2020

Not really. My SWMBO had her family clear out 8 rai of Durex trees. :DHer family members got half the profit of 40K for the selling of the timber and the wife paid another 3K baht for a back hoe to remove the stumps. Her dad took about 2 weeks and burnt the stumps afterwards she had the 8 rai plowed under and started planting other crops. And where did these funds come from, the 20K that was hers from the selling of the timber after expense of clearing the land. You need to get off that bar stool and let me air circulate.:rolleyes::D

That will be right. They will leave you a nice paddock of stumps to deal with. You will have all of the problems and none of the profit.

Here is a nice story, if you needed anymore convincing.
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-slowdown-seen-weighing-on-price-through-2020
Yes, interesting reading. Has convinced me that the rubber crop will not add any value to the land as far as I am concerned and will limit my input to the offer to no more than the average selling price of land which I would estimate to be around 25-30k bht per Rai.

We have 28 rai under rubber at the moment and, we cut our first 1300 trees on our 9 year old farm last year, what a waste of money.
The second farm was due to be cut now but, f**k it, let them grow for a few more years.
@ 20 baht +- per kilo, better to keep our powder dry until the massive reserves dwindle.

We have 28 rai under rubber at the moment and, we cut our first 1300 trees on our 9 year old farm last year, what a waste of money.
The second farm was due to be cut now but, f**k it, let them grow for a few more years.
@ 20 baht +- per kilo, better to keep our powder dry until the massive reserves dwindle.

Sounds like the owner knows that my wife has a farang husband and plenty of spare cash. Thanks for the heads up on potential.
Looks like the farang bank is closed for now.

If you got money to spare, just plant decent trees for the generations to come but your thai counterpart will not be happy with it.
And they will be harvested the moment you pass away or leave.

If you got money to spare, just plant decent trees for the generations to come but your thai counterpart will not be happy with it.
And they will be harvested the moment you pass away or leave.
Crocs right especially if they are those 'Farang' trees that produce endless supplies of gold!

Crocs right especially if they are those 'Farang' trees that produce endless supplies of gold!

Spoke to the wife today and seems the seller has convinced her that although the price is low at the moment it's still a good investment when the price of rubber goes up. Not good enough for them to keep for themselves though. I think I've convinced the wife that my bank manager would like me to keep my money in his bank until the interest rate goes up

Spoke to the wife today and seems the seller has convinced her that although the price is low at the moment it's still a good investment when the price of rubber goes up. Not good enough for them to keep for themselves though. I think I've convinced the wife that my bank manager would like me to keep my money in his bank until the interest rate goes up
The sellers are hoping that your one of those stupid farangs of old, who had unlimited funds and an IQ the same as shoe size!

P.s. I've got some magic beans. Are you interested????

Back