Surin Elephant Roundup Canceled.

Is it or isn't it? SWMBO tells me that she thinks the Elephant Roundup is back on again following a meeting in Surin Town Hall yesterday. All details are in Thai and on this website/facebook page : https://www.facebook.com/surin108/ สุรินทร์108ดอทคอม สังคม Online ดี ดี ของชาวสุรินทร์

14695459_10154737860195929_9159458281430822829_n.jpg

Back to OP.

I've "heard" that the Elephant Breakfast followed by the two elephant shows at Elephant Stadium will be allowed 17-20 November.

The actual huge Elephant Fair and nightly concerts are still subject to decision making ,cancelation or revision.

Note: Info not validated as of this post.

Back to OP.

I've "heard" that the Elephant Breakfast followed by the two elephant shows at Elephant Stadium will be allowed 17-20 November.

The actual huge Elephant Fair and nightly concerts are still subject to decision making ,cancelation or revision.

Note: Info not validated as of this post.

That was SWMBO's interpretation of events too. I think the meeting took place yesterday. It is very unlikely that the petition to the PM has been seen, reviewed and the ban rescinded within 24 hours. Therefore, I tend to go with Rice's interpretation of events that a petition will be sent and that it is unlikely that the ban will be reversed. Ergo, no Elephant Roundup this year 2016. Wait and see.

That was SWMBO's interpretation of events too. I think the meeting took place yesterday. It is very unlikely that the petition to the PM has been seen, reviewed and the ban rescinded within 24 hours. Therefore, I tend to go with Rice's interpretation of events that a petition will be sent and that it is unlikely that the ban will be reversed. Ergo, no Elephant Roundup this year 2016. Wait and see.

This would fit with the cultural event and no party scenario. But as you said, I doubt it has come back from the big boss yet.

...and the bars in Pattaya are open for bj's and take-aways fitting the bill of a 'cultural event' without the party scenario ...is that what is happening ?

Hundreds of people have booked flights from Bangkok to Surin on Air Asia and Nok, whilst hundreds more have booked and paid for hotel rooms in advance (at grossly inflated prices) for the Elephant Festival period.

What chance of them receiving a refund?

Hundreds of people have booked flights from Bangkok to Surin on Air Asia and Nok, whilst hundreds more have booked and paid for hotel rooms in advance (at grossly inflated prices) for the Elephant Festival period.

What chance of them receiving a refund?

Only hundreds? I though the event was more popular than that. LOL!

Only hundreds? I though the event was more popular than that. LOL!

Only so many airplane seats and hotel rooms. Most visitors would probably be more local and visit using own transport on a daily basis.

Have to admit that despite 15 years living "down the road" I have never attended the festival. heffalumps in captivity, playing games are not my scene

Hmmmm...:rolleyes:

(Must be an election year.)

Well done Coffee, you are (slowly) getting there :)

Nick never mentioned anything about "Biggest whores not working in bars" (I did), and I said nothing about the girls in the bars being "greedy" (Nick did).

That's cleared that up. To answer your follow on question it would appear (almost) business as usual in Pattaya. It is an entertainment zone and the authorities have given the all clear for continuation of activities as long as they are indoors and/or subdued.

Normal services are widely available.

Well done Coffee, you are (slowly) getting there :)

Nick never mentioned anything about "Biggest whores not working in bars" (I did), and I said nothing about the girls in the bars being "greedy" (Nick did).

That's cleared that up. To answer your follow on question it would appear (almost) business as usual in Pattaya. It is an entertainment zone and the authorities have given the all clear for continuation of activities as long as they are indoors and/or subdued.

Normal services are widely available.
I heard that it's very quiet, is that so??????

No interest to me but have a mate over who planned a 2 week break there after SSK.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Only so many airplane seats and hotel rooms. Most visitors would probably be more local and visit using own transport on a daily basis.
Have to admit that despite 15 years living "down the road" I have never attended the festival. heffalumps in captivity, playing games are not my scene

Same here Nick as I am often in Thailand at this time. I make sure I am no where near Surin at this time. Not my scene either. It will be the same thing as living in Darwin for over 30 years. I never did the jumping crocodile cruise until I took my father in law, on one of his trips here.

I heard that it's very quiet, is that so??????

No interest to me but have a mate over who planned a 2 week break there after SSK.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, it is quiet - but no more quiet than 2 weeks ago or last month. It is still low season and there are many factors affecting the likelihood of it picking up.

I also think Pattaya is changing for the better. Although I can't really comment on the Walking Street/South Pattaya area there is no doubt that north Pattaya has significantly in terms of the quality of hotels, restaurants/bars and soon with the addition of Terminal 21. I haven't been there but there is also the new Harbour shopping mall.

A walk along Beach Road (also being further improved) from the Dusit Hotel sows how isolated sois 6 and 6/1 have become. Everything else up to Pattaya Klang is of a decent (and improved) quality.

Depends what your mate is looking for Dave - after SSK anything might seem lively! :smile:

If it is adult entertainment then all the usual sois and go-go bars will be operational, but I doubt they will be heaving. Personally, I have never needed a crowd to enjoy those locations.

The girlie bars and go-go's are not places that I now frequent and from what I have seen they look fairly uninviting with many girls with faces like smacked arses - maybe the economics are hitting hard. Then again, new punters with Baht in their wallets can usually extract a smile from even the sourest faced ladies.

IMO the Eliphant fest has it's its benefits for the locals in Surin and is good a lot of buisness.
But from my point of view if it's called off it makes life easy for us to travel into town without being stuck in a traffic jam .

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk

IMO the Eliphant fest has it's its benefits for the locals in Surin and is good a lot of buisness.
But from my point of view if it's called off it makes life easy for us to travel into town without being stuck in a traffic jam .

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk

The merchants of Surin can suffer like all others in Thailand at this moments. They are not special.

Back