Thai passports

If anyone has any problems locating the meeting hall I shall ask Nomad to put a big star on a map.

It's located on the 214!

[Edit: the other one]

Last edited:
Been there this morning and my wife and two daughters will soon be the proud owners of new Thai passports. We thought 08.30 would be an early start but I don't think so. The wife and daughters got ticket numbers 201, 202 and 203. However, they are very well organised in the hall and have 16 desks on-line and processing the applications. They got to the desk before 10.15 and we were away before 10.45. They do not want any photocopies or photographs - just turn up with your original documents and they are scanned into their computer system and your picture and finger prints all captured at the same desk and time. Very smooth, very impressed. The only glitch in the system was my relatively new, 2 year old passport, which had, of course, a different number to the one shown on the girl's birth certificates. When I showed them the stamp that included the old passport number inserted at the time the old visa was transferred to the new passport problem resolved. My signature was required on the form, together with the signature of my wife, for the girls' passport applications.

N.B. British Embassy please note. You should be ashamed of the charges you levy against your British subjects for passsport renewals. The Thai passport cost 1,000 Baht with a supplementary charge of 40 Baht to cover the cost of return postage by EMS. Furthermore, the new passport should be processed and isssued within a week.

N.B. British Embassy please note. You should be ashamed of the charges you levy against your British subjects for passsport renewals. The Thai passport cost 1,000 Baht with a supplementary charge of 40 Baht to cover the cost of return postage by EMS. Furthermore, the new passport should be processed and isssued within a week.

I was about to reply to this particular point but I didn't know what to say.

I would like to change the world but I don't know what to do. So I'll leave it up to you!

Granville! How many ess's in passport?

Been there this morning and my wife and two daughters will soon be the proud owners of new Thai passports. We thought 08.30 would be an early start but I don't think so. The wife and daughters got ticket numbers 201, 202 and 203. However, they are very well organised in the hall and have 16 desks on-line and processing the applications. They got to the desk before 10.15 and we were away before 10.45. They do not want any photocopies or photographs - just turn up with your original documents and they are scanned into their computer system and your picture and finger prints all captured at the same desk and time. Very smooth, very impressed. The only glitch in the system was my relatively new, 2 year old passport, which had, of course, a different number to the one shown on the girl's birth certificates. When I showed them the stamp that included the old passport number inserted at the time the old visa was transferred to the new passport problem resolved. My signature was required on the form, together with the signature of my wife, for the girls' passport applications.

Last year, I had to apply for my Australian Passport renewal at the Aussie Embassy in Bangkok. I was impressed that the new document arrived at my hotel in Pattaya by post within a week. However, it did cost much more than 1,000 baht!

My GL left the condo in Pattaya to apply for her Thai Passport renewal and came back in 50 minutes - all done. The passport arrived at our Surin address within a week.

Last year, I had to apply for my Australian Passport renewal at the Aussie Embassy in Bangkok. I was impressed that the new document arrived at my hotel in Pattaya by post within a week. However, it did cost much more than 1,000 baht!

I understand that you may be lucky to get your new UK passport returned within a month or two (at probably Bht 7,000). However, from what I've heard, using the services of one of our members, the process is otherwise somewhat painless.

I understand that you may be lucky to get your new UK passport returned within a month or two (at probably Bht 7,000). However, from what I've heard, using the services of one of our members, the process is otherwise somewhat painless.

And well worth the small 'handling fee' if you don't mind me saying so.

One for Nick, what steps do I need to take to get my 2 daughters a British Passport. I don't really want to get them passports if they are not going to travel to UK anytime soon. Not worth the time or money to do so. However, should I or do I have to register their births or something to make it easier for them to get their own passports sometime in the future if I am no longer around? Would welcome your expert advice on this.

Nomad, your plan was good. My wife decided that the first day would be very busy so decided to apply today. She left home at 10:30 for the 10 minute trip and has still not returned. She did ring me and told me there were an estimated 2,000 applicants. Of course this could be an exaggeration and, as we all know, there could be 4 or 5 family members accompanying each applicant.

Nomad, your plan was good. My wife decided that the first day would be very busy so decided to apply today. She left home at 10:30 for the 10 minute trip and has still not returned. She did ring me and told me there were an estimated 2,000 applicants. Of course this could be an exaggeration and, as we all know, there could be 4 or 5 family members accompanying each applicant.

ONLY 4 OR 5?

One for Nick, what steps do I need to take to get my 2 daughters a British Passport. I don't really want to get them passports if they are not going to travel to UK anytime soon. Not worth the time or money to do so. However, should I or do I have to register their births or something to make it easier for them to get their own passports sometime in the future if I am no longer around? Would welcome your expert advice on this.

Childrens British passports are valid for 5 years. Little point in obtaining them if there are no plans to use them. A child born to a British parent obtains British citizenship by descent. The application for the passport has to be submitted by the British parent together with their passort and other documentation plus the child's birth certificate and other documents. A Thai birth certificate showing the British Fathers name will suffice.

It is not necessary to have a British birth certificate to have a British passport. In fact it is not necessary to have a British birth certificate at all.

In the event of the death of the British parent, before a passport has been issued for the child, there would be a lot more "red tape" involved,especially if there is no British birth certificate for the child, and that problem would undoubtedly fall on the Thai wife. Need I say more?

The choice is yours Nomad. Apply for British passports which you may or may not use. Or apply for British birth certificates which may come in useful one day, and would assist the provision of a British passport after your death. Or do nothing, obtain passports if and when required, whether with or without your involvement.

Thai Widows & Expats can assist in obtaining passports for all British subjects, new or renewals, and save the 2 journeys to VFS to apply and collect.

Personally, I would always do it sooner rather than. You never know when the bastards will change the rules. Your daughters are British by birth and the passport simply confirms that citizenship. Getting them now while you are still around seems to make sense to me. It will be more more difficult for them when you are not around, although if they are that keen I am sure they will find a way.

I can't recall your daughters ages but a passport issued now would probably take them to 'adulthood'. For a child the passport term is 5 years and costs GBP 76.01

Everything is here:-

https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports/y/thailand/applying/child/united-kingdom

No benefit in registering the birth elsewhere (the British embassy are thieving buggers and it will cost you double the passport fee for each birth registration (ex-translations)

Just done a little research although I'm not sure the figures are all up to date:

passportcosts_zpseng0azln.jpg

They are the prices you pay if you are in the UK. Based in Thailand and having to go through VFS you pay consderably more....plus the inconvenience and cost in having to go to Bangkok twice!

Back