UK Government Petition

I think I can work on my retirement visa and maybe in Thailand too. The Thai embassy gave me a Type B visa. I am always questioned when I go to Immigration why I have a type B visa.
I believe that was correct Nomad. Dow gave me the ok to get a WP. I then went over to BOI visa & 2 year WP.

Last edited by a moderator:
You don't have a visa.

I do. Dated 2002 from the Thai Embassy in Singapore (next door to the four floors of whores).

I have been applying for (and have been granted) an extension of stay based upon said visa ever since,

But I understand your clarification.

I do. Dated 2002 from the Thai Embassy in Singapore (next door to the four floors of whores).

I have been applying for (and have been granted) an extension of stay based upon said visa ever since,

But I understand your clarification.

Not sure, but I don't think that is still valid.

It must be because I am still extending my stay based upon it. The visa was transferred to my new passport in 2010.
Me too. I came in on that non-B visa and have never left. It is the one carried over in my new passport too in 2012.

It must be because I am still extending my stay based upon it. The visa was transferred to my new passport in 2010.

The visa is not valid.

It is used, spent, expired..

Not unlike a dead parrot - except, of course, you can't extend a dead parrot......

There is nothing new here.It's all been said before. Cannot see any change from any government, of any flavour. As was said, potholes are more important than pensioners!

Quite right Nick - though the lady maintains awareness of the government's intransigence and it's unfair bias against pensioners in particular.

We have a proverb in Welsh: "Dyfal donc a dyr y garreg." It means "persistent strikes break the stone," in this context it's important to keep on at the government to make the change. We need to keep on at them because if we don't, there's every likelihood that our pensions could be cancelled through our long-term absence from the UK instead - a stealth tactic if you like. Were that to happen, every sane pensioner would be glad to have frozen pensions back again... poof and the problem's vanished.

The visa is not valid.

It is used, spent, expired..

So why were the details of it transferred to my new passport 8 years later?

My previously issued visa is over-stamped as "USED". The visa in question is not.

Last edited:
You don't have a visa.

You must be talking about some technicality you know Co-Co. Can you explain.
As it stands, I understand that you enter the country on a visa then you apply to extend that same visa over and over under the same conditions of the visa you entered on.

As it stands, I understand that you enter the country on a visa then you apply to extend that same visa over and over under the same conditions of the visa you entered on.
That was my impression too. My permission to stay is based on extending my original visa on grounds of retirement. Or so I thought.

Nothing technical.

It is not the visa that gets extended, it is the permission to stay.

A visa simply offers the right to enter a country, it is then down to immigration officials to determine whether to grant entry - and for how long. Once a visa has been stamped "used", that is exactly what it means; it is finished, it's purpose has been served; each visa has a 'use before' date which also time limits it's validity.

Those people residing in Thailand on extensions invariably do so off the back of an existing visa - the permission to stay under the terms of the visa gets converted to a permission to stay by virtue of extension (by reason of marriage/retirement etc). The mechanism for that is completion of a TM7 'Application for extension of temporary stay in the Kingdom' - upon approval the permission to stay is extended (usually) for 12 months. It is this permission that we 'renew' each year by completing a new TM7.

If Yorky (or anyone else) had a visa they could move freely in and out of the country; he hasn't, he can't. If he wants to leave the country he has to obtain a re-entry permit to keep his permission to stay live.

Alan the Builder can move freely in and out of the country because he has a visa. That visa is valid for 12 months and upon expiry it cannot be renewed, a new visa has to obtained (from Savannakhet, the only consul in the region that issues multiple entry Non-Immigrant 'O' visas).

If it wasn’t for my little ‘un they would have cancelled my extention to stay yesterday

If your retirement extension route becomes difficult, your little 'un could be a valid reason to extend your stay.

Thought of that yesterday but a trip to BKK would probably be required. Marriage is out of the equation, not that desperate yet, so probably sell some shares and put 800k in the bank

Back