51 to be fired over exam cheating

gotlost

Kap Chong R Us Member

June 8, 2013 5:15 pm
Nakhon Ratchasima's Office of the Teacher Civil Service and Educational Personnel Commission (OTEPC)'s subcommittee Saturday agreed to dismiss 51 newly appointed assistant teachers over allegations of being involved in exam cheating.

The move followed the Department of Special Investigation's call for a total of 344 people allegedly involved in the scandal to be fired as government officials, 51 of the accused being from Nakhon Ratchasima.

Following the three-hour meeting, Primary Educational Zone 1 director Pathomreuk Maneenet said the accused-and-dismissed persons were still given a chance to explain themselves within 15 days.

The Nation

Nakhon Ratchasima's Office of the Teacher Civil Service and Educational Personnel Commission (OTEPC)'s subcommittee Saturday agreed to dismiss 51 newly appointed assistant teachers over allegations of being involved in exam cheating.

The move followed the Department of Special Investigation's call for a total of 344 people allegedly involved in the scandal to be fired as government officials, 51 of the accused being from Nakhon Ratchasima.

Following the three-hour meeting, Primary Educational Zone 1 director Pathomreuk Maneenet said the accused-and-dismissed persons were still given a chance to explain themselves within 15 days.

The Nation

If the teachers did not assist the students to teach during the exams, they would undoubtedly (for a little sweetener) have ensured they nevertheless passed their exams.

TIT

The Nation

Funny thing is ask any of the teachers here in Surin if they are allowed to fail a student... the answer is a resounding no! I believe that some teachers have been fired or not given a new contract just for this reason.

Agreed, FC. One student was failed by a colleague... but turned up in his class the following term with a C grade. The Head of Department had overruled the teacher.

Another teacher reported cheating in an exam, and said afterwards that he had been put through such an inquisition by the Thai teachers that it was as if he had cheated himself.

This was at one of Thailand's major universities.

Agreed, FC. One student was failed by a colleague... but turned up in his class the following term with a C grade. The Head of Department had overruled the teacher.

Another teacher reported cheating in an exam, and said afterwards that he had been put through such an inquisition by the Thai teachers that it was as if he had cheated himself.

This was at one of Thailand's major universities.

Yes, it happens at all levels, from primary students right to the top. There are some students seeking extra help for things like IELTS because they know their English isn't good enough to get into a foreign Uni. and maybe not even good enough to get into a Thai Uni.

I read a report last year where I think it stated that 26,000 students in Thailand didn't get a Uni placement because their English wasn't good enough. Don't quote me on this figure... it's just something I heard or read and at my age (and memory loss) I may have imagined the whole thing anyway!

when my wife was getting her Masters here, a Monk was caught cheating in the class. I see that even in the States they don't seem to want to fail students I guess it is part of that culture to give a trophy to the loser just for playing. That helps make it easier to adjust to life's problems.

when my wife was getting her Masters here, a Monk was caught cheating in the class. I see that even in the States they don't seem to want to fail students I guess it is part of that culture to give a trophy to the loser just for playing. That helps make it easier to adjust to life's problems.

It doesn't. It just devalues the qualifications other students have worked hard to get.

Back