a question for young Western expats teaching in Thai re: entitlements

C

Coffee

Regarding the subject of entitlements:
as Western countries are and will be making their entitlement schemes even tougher for 'citizens' (ie: US Social Security) to tap into.

My sincere inquiry is - if you're a Western expat and take a job teaching in Thailand and do not make contributions annually in the form of Federal taxes paid to your Social Security account , then how are you going to receive any social security payments (and medicare benefits) once you turn 70 years of age ?
[Caveat: considering the system will have available funding through year 2050]

What are you going to live on once Thai schools drop you if you're not vested in a Western social security program / social welfare scheme ?
[One million THB isn't going to last long.] Cry3.

Seriously, as much upside to living in Thai - what are you going to do if you possibly live to 80, 90 or 100 if you're not independently wealthy or inherit a windfall ?

Any explanatory replies would be greatly appreciated from expats in this particular situation 10of10Score

This type of question arose when I was in the young and stupid age group (mid-40s). I was thinking of accepting a Principal position in one of the Pattaya international schools, hence leaving my Principal position in sunny Tasmania.

Fortunately, I was talked out of the idea by serious business-brained Thai friends who suggested I should stay where I was established and enjoy my school vacations in Thailand. Thankfully, I accepted their advice and am now reaping the benefits of a good superannuation salary well above the average annual wage for Australia.

a trust fund baby (you're a lucky boy)

I am hoping that my trust fund caries me through retirement as i only teach because i do not know how to play golf.

OK, you are one of the lucky ones who is independently wealthy with a trust fund that might be set up to take care of you for life. 10of10Score

I'm seeking replies from those who may not be as fortunate or in that prestigious type of position Thanks3

I know quite a few who have 'scammed' their Governments entitlement programmes but I'm seeking replies from the straight players.

Offtopic2. You're an intelligent fellow and you enjoy beer. Why are U teaching when you possibly could have an establishment (business) built catering to food & booze as you've got a 'fallback' position in hand ?
Do you really love teaching ? Just curious, WofH :smile:

OK, you are one of the lucky ones who is independently wealthy with a trust fund that might be set up to take care of you for life. 10of10Score

I'm seeking replies from those who may not be as fortunate or in that prestigious type of position Thanks3

I know quite a few who have 'scammed' their Governments entitlement programmes but I'm seeking replies from the straight players.

Offtopic2. You're an intelligent fellow and you enjoy beer. Why are U teaching when you possibly could have an establishment (business) built catering to food & booze as you've got a 'fallback' position in hand ?
Do you really love teaching ? Just curious, WofH :smile:

I think the bold should be a good answer to your question.:smile:

Last edited:
I think the bold should be a good answer to your question.:smile:

At least you are one clever enough to possibly know ones true self. 10of10Score

As for the original post and as you are clearly in the 'teacher loop'....
would you elicit some intelligent responses from others who are teaching without a generous 'fallback' position (such as yours) ?

At least you are one clever enough to possibly know ones true self. 10of10Score

As for the original post and as you are clearly in the 'teacher loop'....
would you elicit some intelligent responses from others who are teaching without a generous 'fallback' position (such as yours) ?

I would suggest most young 'un's from whatever country, are not expecting to get anything from their respective governments upon retirement. That is only an observation after talking to a few young agency teachers here in LOS.Cry3

In all honesty, I have been teaching here in the same program for the past 7 years and for the most part I do enjoy my job. I am also one of the few left in these parts who are hired directly through the govt.

I didn't move to the LOS to think about the "what ifs"??? If that were the case I would have never left my counseling job in the states. No, i am no way rich and I am about 20 years from retirement. According to the SSI website, i still owe 5 years to get the full benefit which i am not entitled to until i am 67 years old(as of 2014). So sure, moving back temporarily and completing my SSI requirement is a consideration of mine.

As far as making money teaching ESL, the jobs in Thailand are far from drying up. What will dry up are qualified teachers who are realizing (me included) that there are so many other countries close by where you can actually make bank. China, South Korea, Taiwan, Vietnam, and Japan all rank in the top 10 for countries who pay the highest salaries and benefits for ESL teachers. Saudi pays the most ($45-65,000 US based on 11 month contract) if one can suck it up for 1 or 2 years. Thailand doesn't even come close to ranking.

I don't think Thailand will have a teachers shortage though, but IMO, standards will continue to plummet. Agencies that hire short term are the trend now, regardless of ethics. Hiring some fresh out of Uni "native speaker" for a 6 month contract, paying the poor naive newbie 12,000 baht a month including dorm room accommodation while the 23,000 baht remainder of his/her salary are split between agency and administration is all too common not to mention lucrative.

Just my 2 bahts worth of course. :smile:. Please let me know if you need any further explanatory clarity, and i will do my best to add to your thread. Apologize in advance for any grammatical mistakes. :)

Last edited:
excellent response, WofH

goodpost and on target. Thank you WofH ! 10of10ScoreAgreed1

OK, with so many fine-paying ESL opportunities elsewhere...did we really come to reside in LOS for other reasons ?
...now moving a wee bit off subject...I couldn't resistLMAO1
1) I really enjoy eating Thai food (whether my stools are solid or not) and wanted to learn Thai 'lingo' / language so I can order Thai food in a restaurant back home and sound sooo cool.
2) I like looking at sooo many 'hotties' wearing nil on scooters.
3) I want to live in a land full of opportunity for an English speaker
4) Affordable health care along with cheap cigarettes
5) Good looking katoeys (and some ugly ones too !)
6) Dream1

Add: so many expats regardless of age are having doubts about their Governments pension schemes Club_fight1
Thanks3 again WofH.

Back