A Short History of Surin City

Cent

FORUM SPONSOR
Surin is one of the oldest historical provinces in Thailand. However, there is no exact evidence to show its real history, but only the presumptions of the historians and the archaeologists, including the tales of the old people. It is believed that Surin City was built approximately 2,000 years ago in the prosperous period of ancient Cambodia. After the decline of the ancient Cambodian Khmer Angkor empire, Surin City was abandoned for a long time.

In 1763, Luang Surin Phakdi (Chiang Pum), the former Chief of Mueang Thi, asked the head of Phimai City for royal permission to move Mueang Thi to the west (approximately 16 kilometers) and settle down at Khu Prathai Village, which was an old city of ancient Cambodia. The reason was that it was a large city with two layers of wall built around it. With the fertile soil and water, it was suitable to do agriculture and to settle down. Later on, Luang Surin Phakdi had conducted a good performance, so King Suriyamarin upgraded the village to Prathai Saman City and promoted Luang Surin Phakdi to Phraya Surin Phakdi Sri Narong Changwang, and made him Governor of the city.

In 1786, King Rama I of Rattanakosin Monarchy changed the name of Prathai Saman City to Surin City. After the death of Phraya Surin Phakdi Sri Narong Changwang (Chiang Pum), the city was ruled by 11 consecutive governors until the reign of King Rama V in 1908, the government had been developed and changed to the municipality system. Phra Krungsriborirak (Sum Sumanon) was appointed the first Provincial Governor of Surin Province.

Thanks for that post - the history of the city and surrounding areas does not seem to be well published, which is a bit sad as there is plenty of history of the whole region.

The first paragraph is more than doubtful, Mike. The heyday of the Khmer empire was more like 1,000 years ago, not 2,000. The Chenla empire dates back to about 6th century, and before that it's, as they say, holes in the ground. More accurate dating can be obtained from Phanomrung and the other Khmer sites in the region (that's in Buriram, but you may know the Surin Khmer sites better). As for Surin city area, are there any archaeological sites which can give better dates? Hearsay from old people, while it can preserve long-ago events with remarkable accuracy at times, is nevertheless an unreliable source more than two or three generations back.

As a comparison, I've just visited Wat Phu in Laos, which has inscriptions dating back to the 5th Century AD; I doubt whether there is anything earlier in Surin or Buriram.

Mike,

You're likely correct. I was a bit taken aback by the supposed time period. Hadn't thought the area that old really. That short blurb was taken from a Thai website on Surin (in questionable English which I tidied up some to make it legible). FYI, I have been to the Khao Phamon Rung ruins at least a dozen times over the years. Lovely place, great little museum there, and I love the greenery, serenity and cleanliness of the place. Best ruin by far in the Isaan area I feel to bring visiting friends and relatives to see. Some decent food in one of the small restaurants across from the parking lot out front as well, and some nice clean hong nams to use too. Well done this place.

Here's a short one from Wiki on Surin's pre-history and history, which, going by the dates stated, is where the figures in the other 'history' came from I think (the 'pre-history' dates).

History

[edit] Prehistory

The earliest settlers in this region were hunter-gatherers. The Neolithic, with the introduction of agriculture, dates from 2,500 to 1,500 years BCE. The Bronze Age dates from 1,500-500 BCE, and the Iron Age from 500 BCE to 500 CE. It is in the Iron Age that the first evidence of human settlement emerges in the province, with approximately sixty known Iron Age sites.
[edit] Historical period

The earliest known historical period is the Dvaravati. This was an Indian based culture, which defused through the north-east region of what is now Thailand. Evidence of this culture is found in Surin region dating to between the 7th to 11th centuries CE. It was in this period that Buddhism became the dominant religion of the region.
Following the Dvaravati period, the powerful Khmer Empire expanded its influence throughout what is now the southern Isan region of Thailand. This period covers the 7th to 13th centuries CE. Surin was an important part of the ancient Khmer empire. Temple ruins and a substantial ethnic Khmer minority remain part of Surin. Khmer stone inscriptions date from c. 600 CE. Over the next several centuries a growing number of Khmer sites were constructed in the province, most notably Prasat Sikhoraphum. These sites would have formed part of the network of Khmer infrastructure centred on Prasat Phanom Rung.

With the collapse of the Khmer empire in the 13th century Surin province faded from history. It is in the 18th century that it re-emerges. At this time a Kuay local leader named Chiangpum became the royally appointed ruler of the region. According to legend he presented a rare white elephant to the Chao Phaya Chakri, future King Rama I. In gratitude, Chiangpum was awarded the royal title Luang Surin Phakdi and appointed the village headman. When Rama I became the Thai monarch, he appointed Luang Surin Phakdi as the province's governor. In 1763 the village was moved to the location of the modern city of Surin, and was upgraded to a city with the name Muang Prathai Saman. There is a local legend that this move was due to better water supplies at the new site. Also, that the original location of the town was at Muang Thi, approximately fifthteen kilometres to the east of the modern city. In 1786, the city's name was changed to Surin in honor of its governor.
The province slowly grew in population, there was a continual influx of people from surrounding areas, principally Cambodia (part of what is now western Cambodia was ruled by Bangkok at this time), however Surin was largely self-sufficient, and somewhat isolated. This changed with the advent of the railroad in 1922. Surin and its economy was exposed to the wider world. Chinese and Indian merchants settled, manufacturing increased, and Surin joined the modern world.

Wiki seems to forget that the Khmer empire was Hindu from time to time, and I would have thought the earlier periods were largely Hindu, not Buddhist. The lingam and yoni are Hindu symbols, the former being perpetuated in the City Pillars which most provincial cities, including Surin, I think, have. I nearly stepped into a Yoni at Wat Phu a couple of days ago, which I'm sure was symbolic of something! That, and the line of lingams along the processional way there, are still objects of worship.

Back