Agricultural equipment road curfew

Rice

Resident Smart Arse
Now here is a story. It has been ongoing for a year now. Just come to the conclusion yesterday in The Surin court. First here is the story. Father in law is out cutting grass for the kwai till no more usable day light, anyway light rain has begun to fall so he heads home. He turns on to the major road in the area. ( A 4th class single carriageway road) It is just after 6PM. He is driving his tractor with one of those wooden wagons we have all seen. Soon after a young lady aged 16 riding unlicensed and unregistered motorcycle hits the back of the wagon. The result is bruised and skin off and a broken arm. Motorcycle a right off. A fairly lucky escape for the young lady. Needless to say a whole lot of too and throw and requests for money from every quarter proceeded. BIB wanted a cut, the girls parents wanted money as well. My MIL the silver tongued grifter which she is, gave no quarter to anyone. The thing is the convention is the onus is always on the driver behind not the driver in front. As we all understand. The sticking point is there was no lights on the wooden wagon. It is alledged the girls parent paid off the BIB to escape any charges for unlicenced and unregistered. BUT FIL had the silver tongued grifter negotiating with the BIB and she told them to shove it. Hmmmm well that did not turn out so well for father.
He was charged with operating an Agricultural machine on a highway after 6PM. Court sentenced him to 30,000 Baht fine or 1 month at HM pleasure. I told him look at it this way if he goes to jail its like making 1000 Baht a day. Well he was having none of it. No I am not forking out the whole 30,000 just 10,000.
I have been in Thailand a long time never heard the tractors of the road after 6PM before. Anybody else.

Now here is a story. It has been ongoing for a year now. Just come to the conclusion yesterday in The Surin court. First here is the story. Father in law is out cutting grass for the kwai till no more usable day light, anyway light rain has begun to fall so he heads home. He turns on to the major road in the area. ( A 4th class single carriageway road) It is just after 6PM. He is driving his tractor with one of those wooden wagons we have all seen. Soon after a young lady aged 16 riding unlicensed and unregistered motorcycle hits the back of the wagon. The result is bruised and skin off and a broken arm. Motorcycle a right off. A fairly lucky escape for the young lady. Needless to say a whole lot of too and throw and requests for money from every quarter proceeded. BIB wanted a cut, the girls parents wanted money as well. My MIL the silver tongued grifter which she is, gave no quarter to anyone. The thing is the convention is the onus is always on the driver behind not the driver in front. As we all understand. The sticking point is there was no lights on the wooden wagon. It is alledged the girls parent paid off the BIB to escape any charges for unlicenced and unregistered. BUT FIL had the silver tongued grifter negotiating with the BIB and she told them to shove it. Hmmmm well that did not turn out so well for father.
He was charged with operating an Agricultural machine on a highway after 6PM. Court sentenced him to 30,000 Baht fine or 1 month at HM pleasure. I told him look at it this way if he goes to jail its like making 1000 Baht a day. Well he was having none of it. No I am not forking out the whole 30,000 just 10,000.
I have been in Thailand a long time never heard the tractors of the road after 6PM before. Anybody else.
The kicker here is, it would be widely known that you, a Farrang are part of the family--pukkin round eye, walking ATM.

Check the above post I made.
I did! Did not find anything that pointed straight at it some could be vaguely seen to indicate a charge but those were all low fines. I guess that the 30,000 is a fine determined by the court for negligence. But what of the 6 PM thing its self. That document law does the great work around as does the Immigration one. Please refer to ministerial policy. You know the ones that are never published!

When I was in an accident with an underage, unlicensed uninsured motorcyclist driving on the wrong side of the road, the BIB suggested I pay her fines......it would show good heart and if they wouldn't have known she was driving a motorcycle if there had been no accident

I suppose FiL was in the wrong as he had an unlit vehicle on the road at night. The unlicenced and uninsured motorbike was irrelevant. The girl no doubt did not notice the unlit wagon (regardless of whether she may or may not have been engrossed in her mobile at the time, as so many on bikes are!)

When I am driving my car at night I come across many motorbikes with no rear lights. I can usually see them ahead of me in my headlights and their red reflectors. However when some idiot driver coming towards you has full headlights on, it is very easy to miss unlit motorbikes (or no doubt agricultural vehicles)

The large fine is no doubt due to the injuries sustained by the girl, though I doubt she will benefit in any way!

Last edited:
Not only farm equipment but the farm animals as well need to be off the road by 6p.m.

Not only farm equipment but the farm animals as well need to be off the road by 6p.m.
Used to be if you hit a farm animal or a farm vehicle you would have to pay the damages to the farmer. That law/ruling changed under Taxsin's admin and was reversed if the accident occurred after 6 p.m. as the law stated the farmer and his animals and equipment needed to be off the roads (hiways and byways) by 6 p.m.

When I was in an accident with an underage, unlicensed uninsured motorcyclist driving on the wrong side of the road, the BIB suggested I pay her fines......it would show good heart and if they wouldn't have known she was driving a motorcycle if there had been no accident
The cops always say this to a farang if he is the driver (or even in the car) because as we all know farangs are rich and most likely well insured. Plus, it makes for less paperwork and headache for the cops, and they WILL get a kickback as well.

Used to be if you hit a farm animal or a farm vehicle you would have to pay the damages to the farmer. That law/ruling changed under Taxsin's admin and was reversed if the accident occurred after 6 p.m. as the law stated the farmer and his animals and equipment needed to be off the roads (hiways and byways) by 6 p.m.
And I know this as I hit a cow in the road (No streetlights, after dark) and the damn thing flew up the hood and into the windscreen, smashing it, and flew up over the roof and into the buffalo wallow on the side of the road. Totally f**ked up the truck making it inoperable. Farm land road out by our village with no lighting in a slow rain. There were three cows in the middle of the road, I hit the one by the center line, as (Prakonchai Nick says) an idiot coming the opposite direction had his high beams on and blinded me so I did not see the damn cows until I was almost on top of them. No farmer to be found to claim the cow as his, as he would have had to pay all repair costs for the truck's damages as the new law was in effect.

And I know this as I hit a cow in the road (No streetlights, after dark) and the damn thing flew up the hood and into the windscreen, smashing it, and flew up over the roof and into the buffalo wallow on the side of the road. Totally f**ked up the truck making it inoperable. Farm land road out by our village with no lighting in a slow rain. There were three cows in the middle of the road, I hit the one by the center line, as (Prakonchai Nick says) an idiot coming the opposite direction had his high beams on and blinded me so I did not see the damn cows until I was almost on top of them. No farmer to be found to claim the cow as his, as he would have had to pay all repair costs for the truck's damages as the new law was in effect.

Trust you had room in the freezer.

Back