An interesting open letter in the Phuket News. from Bernhard Stoever, a tourist from Germany

Rice

Resident Smart Arse
You should of opened a topic @Coffee.

From Bernhard Stoever, a tourist from Germany

This open letter is a request and also a cry for help. My name is Bernhard Stoever. I am one of the many long-term tourists who have been lucky enough to be able to extend their stay in Thailand since the outbreak of the Covid-19 virus. I firmly believe that this saved many people’s lives!

Thanks to the prudent Thai policies, the first wave of global contagion was combated in an exemplary manner. For that, too, I and all “stranded” would like to thank you very much. And, of course, we would like to especially thank the Thai people who have received us with such indescribable hospitality.

Thank you so much Thailand!

However, the expulsion on September 26th hits us particularly hard. I would like to use my example to show you what this change does in individual cases. The same applies to many “stranded” people.

I am a writer, 68 years old, live in Hamburg and am currently in Phuket. Everything is fine with me in terms of health. Nevertheless, I am extremely endangered in Germany. Every year in autumn and winter, Germany and Europe are attacked by a dangerous flu virus that makes millions of people seriously ill and kills tens of thousands, mainly among the elderly. And the course of the disease becomes more severe from year to year. Unfortunately, I am very susceptible and get the flu every year. It was particularly bad three years ago and I almost died from it.
So I decided to spend the winter in Thailand, which I learned to love a long time ago. Here I don’t get any flu and live healthy. But the Covid-19 virus changed a lot.
The second virus wave is now looming in Europe and Germany and will be probably even worse than the first. Together with the flu virus and the high age of most returnees, this means a huge risk for many people. And I too admit with discomfort that if I have to return to Germany in September, I may never see Thailand again. For me, as for many others, it is really a matter of life or death.
My big request to you: Is it perhaps possible to issue a provisionally residence permit for the “stranded”, so that they can determine the return flight themselves? Or is it possible to make repatriations dependent on the danger that exists in the home country. Nobody wants to die in a corona hot spot.
Perhaps a small argument that counts is that we behave in accordance with the law, adapt to the Thai conditions, have a very good relationship with the people, pay our rent regularly, eat out and make contributions to the community like all others .
In these difficult times all have to stick together even more than before. And if you give us the chance also we “stranded” will do our part.

Bernhard Stoever, Phuket
https://www.thephuketnews.com/open-letter-to-the-tourism-authority-and-the-thai-government-77078.php

I have a couple of issues with this guy. He wants to abide by Thai conditions but does not apply for a retirement visa. Probably balks at the 800,000 Baht or income stream test.
Also states he gets influenza every year. Wouldn't you invest in a vaccination. Probably get it free in Germany. He goes on to ask for a possible provisionally residence permit for the “stranded”
Yeah right. Your not in Kansas anymore I mean Germany. Where you let anybody that strays in a provisional residence.

If the gentleman doesn't want to go to Germany in September, how about Vietnam Nam for a visit, then return to Thailand when possible? There are many places to go with good weather (at least better than Germany in the winter).

Vietnam is expected to begin issuing E-visas for international visitors again from July 1, 2020 after suspending the digital visa system due to the coronavirus pandemic.

The electronic visa or E-visa for Vietnam can be obtained via the internet by completing an online application form. It authorizes the holder to enter the country for tourism and business, among other reasons.

The outbreak of coronavirus (COVID-19) led Vietnam to introduce travel restrictions in March, barring entry to foreign nationals, with very few exceptions.

The country stopped issuing visas and suspended the online E-visa system as part of its measures to contain the spread of COVID-19.

According to global visa information, a Vietnamese government resolution has now been passed to resume issuing E-visas to nationals of 80 countries, probably starting on July 1.

This means that Vietnam is set to reopen to international visitors now that the coronavirus situations appears to be under control in the country.

If the gentleman doesn't want to go to Germany in September, how about Vietnam Nam for a visit, then return to Thailand when possible? There are many places to go with good weather (at least better than Germany in the winter).

Vietnam is expected to begin issuing E-visas for international visitors again from July 1, 2020 after suspending the digital visa system due to the coronavirus pandemic.

The electronic visa or E-visa for Vietnam can be obtained via the internet by completing an online application form. It authorizes the holder to enter the country for tourism and business, among other reasons.

The outbreak of coronavirus (COVID-19) led Vietnam to introduce travel restrictions in March, barring entry to foreign nationals, with very few exceptions.

The country stopped issuing visas and suspended the online E-visa system as part of its measures to contain the spread of COVID-19.

According to global visa information, a Vietnamese government resolution has now been passed to resume issuing E-visas to nationals of 80 countries, probably starting on July 1.

This means that Vietnam is set to reopen to international visitors now that the coronavirus situations appears to be under control in the country.
Am I missing something? The 1st of July was 7 weeks ago. And, it's only good for 30 days if it is still available. And, if he ever wants to return to Thailand he will be stuffed. If he has not got the income for a retirement visa/long stay extension, I doubt that he will be able to afford the insurance either. Best bet, find a young Thai lady and get married. :D:D:D

Vietnam E-visa Information
The Vietnam E-visa, introduced in 2017, is an online visa that allows a maximum stay of 30 days in Vietnam.

"Best bet, find a young Thai lady and get married"

How will that help? He will still have to leave Thailand and come back with a non-O visa which he can extend to a marriage ext. (with the right money) And insurance will come into play, and no doubt with a young lady as you suggest, a big dowry!

Am I missing something? The 1st of July was 7 weeks ago. And, it's only good for 30 days if it is still available. And, if he ever wants to return to Thailand he will be stuffed. If he has not got the income for a retirement visa/long stay extension, I doubt that he will be able to afford the insurance either. Best bet, find a young Thai lady and get married. :D:D:D

Vietnam E-visa Information
The Vietnam E-visa, introduced in 2017, is an online visa that allows a maximum stay of 30 days in Vietnam.
My point was: "There are many places to go with good weather (at least better than Germany in the winter)."

I think the guy was overplaying the German weather factor. The continental European weather factor tends to be dry, cold, with snow, unlike the British Isles that are usually wet, miserable, and damp.

How will that help? He will still have to leave Thailand and come back with a non-O visa which he can extend to a marriage ext. (with the right money) And insurance will come into play, and no doubt with a young lady as you suggest, a big dowry!

Your also missing the 2 month seasoning of funds. I think he missed the boat on that as well.

He won't need to leave Thailand.

Your also missing the 2 month seasoning of funds. I think he missed the boat on that as well.

.................. and, presumably, he hasn't got the money either or he would have arranged a 12 month extension while he was 'stranded'.

Back