Bank fees and exchange companies lesson

Here's the problem for me, mate, a bit different from yours perhaps: how to have one account where I keep relatively large amounts of cash that will benefit my Thai wife immediately when I die, especially if I die prematurely [whatever that means, (before I want to, perhaps?) haha, I guess if I get run over by a bus in Bangkok], but not be available for her to 'loan' to her relatives in the meantime. She seems unable to say no to them, which is very Thai, and has been discussed at length on the forum. The second problem is being careful to meet the somewhat inscrutable technical requirements for my retirement visa deposit.

Thanks to all the forum members who have shared helpful comments and experience. I'm going to eventually post an essay about my quixotic attempts to satisfy the insatiable Thai appetite for official stamps in the visa section, that may be of interest to American farang. It's a big world, and I suspect a majority of the forum members active are not from the USA.
Given the good nature of your wife, and her inability to say no to her relatives, may I suggest you maintain your banking arrangements as they are? Yes, she will need to employ a lawyer to empty your accounts once you are gone but that is a minor inconveinience compared to having your accounts emptied while you are still here. :)

Given the good nature of your wife, and her inability to say no to her relatives, may I suggest you maintain your banking arrangements as they are? Yes, she will need to employ a lawyer to empty your accounts once you are gone but that is a minor inconveinience compared to having your accounts emptied while you are still here. :)
One of my guiding principles: it's prudent to be worth more to your wife alive than dead :sunglasses:

Here's the problem for me, mate, a bit different from yours perhaps: how to have one account where I keep relatively large amounts of cash that will benefit my Thai wife immediately when I die, especially if I die prematurely [whatever that means, (before I want to, perhaps?) haha, I guess if I get run over by a bus in Bangkok], but not be available for her to 'loan' to her relatives in the meantime. She seems unable to say no to them, which is very Thai, and has been discussed at length on the forum. The second problem is being careful to meet the somewhat inscrutable technical requirements for my retirement visa deposit.

Thanks to all the forum members who have shared helpful comments and experience. I'm going to eventually post an essay about my quixotic attempts to satisfy the insatiable Thai appetite for official stamps in the visa section, that may be of interest to American farang. It's a big world, and I suspect a majority of the forum members active are not from the USA.
Your "visa" money needs to be in your sole name. Have it in a savings account (not fixed deposit) with an ATM card and PIN. If you are worried your wife will withdraw money whilst you are still alive, give the ATM PIN to a trusted friend, to be given to your wife AFTER your demise. Just let her know where the ATM card is.. Do make sure not to leave renewal of the ATM card to the expiry date. Renew it 3/6 months before expiry, just in case you should be incapacitated and cannot renew yourself

For any excess money, open a joint account, and keep the book and ATM locked up.

Last year I assisted a Thai widow when her British husband died. He was sadly incapacitated for some 3/4 months before death, during which time the wife raided his bank account with the visa money, and bought a new car (on finance) and spent the balance on other things.. Once dead, there was no money for the funeral (she borrowed) and at the end of the day she gets a mere 4,500bt/month pension, which is not enough for basic living, quite apart from repaying funeral costs and the monthly car finance costs. Her loss, but could easily have been his had he not died and had no money for his visa extension.

Last year I assisted a Thai widow when her British husband died. He was sadly incapacitated for some 3/4 months before death, during which time the wife raided his bank account with the visa money, and bought a new car (on finance) and spent the balance on other things.. Once dead, there was no money for the funeral (she borrowed) and at the end of the day she gets a mere 4,500bt/month pension, which is not enough for basic living, quite apart from repaying funeral costs and the monthly car finance costs. Her loss, but could easily have been his had he not died and had no money for his visa extension.
This scenario is unfortunately too true.
My take on this is that, people who have never had available cash have not got a clue how to handle it, balance it or save, hand to mouth.
I believe that I have this scenario covered as, in the event of my demise, even though Pat is my sole beneficiary, I have in place restrictions to
Prevent my Australian pension fund being decimated as well as restrictions on how much can be drawn monthly.
I hope I have this covered as, even though Pat is good with money, you never know.

Here's the problem for me, mate, a bit different from yours perhaps: how to have one account where I keep relatively large amounts of cash that will benefit my Thai wife immediately when I die, [cont'd.],
but not be available for her to 'loan' to her relatives in the meantime. She seems unable to say no to them, which is very Thai...

Question Mel, how do you orchestrate for that same scenario while in America ?

(I believe it remains a Catch-22.)

Ouch! Yes, that is not adequate. I have been trying to wean my wife off insurance on family members. I am of the opinion that if you can afford to self-insure, it's almost always a better deal. A lot of money is spent by Thai families on insurance.

I'm somewhat flabbergasted by how much money Thai spend on funerals, even poor families--they will mortgage the family rice fields in order to pay sometimes 300,000฿ or more for an elaborate multiway funeral. I've tried to get agreement to not do that for me, but it seems unlikely my wishes will be followed.

I'm well protected financially, so my main concern is providing money that will guarantee my wife lifelong security. She wanted me to give her cash, but I'm afraid it could easily go astray, so instead I invested an equivalent amount in a charitable remainder trust through my university that will provide her with about 70,000฿ a month lifetime income, with gradual inflation increase. Coupled with a free and clear Thai home, she should be able to live comfortably while having some money free to help family. Oddly enough, she still feels insecure without a lot of cash in her bank account! I am lucky to have found a very solid, practical, frugal Thai wife, with a good family, but have still been surprised at how the family obligations keep ramping up with time.

Thanks, Nick, for the appropriate details. I have had to discourage some USA acquaintances with modest resources from taking on a Thai wife, since they have little idea how expensive it gets to meet Thai family expectations. leading to a lot of sad stories and busted marriages. I just added paying for university for a nephew to my monthly 'salaries' allotment. You know how it goes. It is a bit like running your own foreign aid program.

I'm not quite sure which thing(s) you're referring to. I'll try to guess. In the short run, my wife plans on returning to her family in Thailand when I die. I have her set up with enough US$ to do so in a USA ATM-accessed account in her name, which automatically goes to her on my death. My niece is successor trustee for my own revokable trust, and would help my wife sort things out, relieving her of the USA details. Everything in Thailand is in my wife's name and sole property. Everything in USA is in my name and sole property. It's structured so there should not be any probate or difficulties. If she pre-deceases me, her property goes to her son. My property gets dispersed per my trust agreement, and everything regarding my wife is pre-arranged. In the mid-term, my wife will likely get a US passport when eligible in two years, so she'll be dual national, which will make travel and taxes easier. A huge advantage is that thereafter, the USINS has no leverage over her, and we can come and go as we wish. She'll have to pay US taxes on her trust income, which can be done remotely from Thailand. My main K-Bank account has her as beneficiary, which will give her an immediate chunk of cash. She'll be able to ATM access the Bangkok Bank account to extract that money. In the long term (20 years), if we're so lucky and still get along, I'll probably up the amount in her trust so she has a bigger income. Are you referring to something else? What I have done isn't right for everyone. There is, of course, the risk that we will divorce, but I figure in that case she deserves some reasonable compensation, and that is taken care of.

Access to one anothers accounts via ATM and online banking is strictly illegal, and even more so if one of the parties has died. Nevertheless it is commonplace.

Beware though, as problems do occur and several widows that I have helped, who relied on husbands ATM card have come a cropper.
1) ATM card expired
2) ATM Card damaged and will not work
3) Wife/widow has forgotten the PIN number. 3 unsuccessful trys and the card is swallowed up by the ATM machine
4) Wife/widow trying to take out/transfer unusually large amounts of baht, which causes the banks computer to lock the account and request the account holder personally visits the branch!

I came across another potential problem yesterday/today. My Isle of Man bank considered that my request to transfer money to Wise was a suspect transaction and blocked my account. A representative of the bank rang me to ask a few questions to verify that the transaction was indeed initiated by me personally. Should I be dead, it is unlikely that my wife could imitate me on the phone.

It's all sorted now.

Just for information

Money sent by NatWest at 14:51
Money received by Wise at 14:51
Money sent by Wise at 14:51
Money arrived at Kasikorn at 14:51.

I came across another potential problem yesterday/today. My Isle of Man bank considered that my request to transfer money to Wise was a suspect transaction and blocked my account. A representative of the bank rang me to ask a few questions to verify that the transaction was indeed initiated by me personally. Should I be dead, it is unlikely that my wife could imitate me on the phone.

It's all sorted now.

Just for information

Money sent by NatWest at 14:51
Money received by Wise at 14:51
Money sent by Wise at 14:51
Money arrived at Kasikorn at 14:51.
Actually, I would be pleased if my USA bank paid enough attention to question an electronic transfer out of my account. I hope they'll do so if a Russian hacker attempts to do so. Like a request for ID, it should be seen as good security in action rather than an insult.

If a farang has an official legal Will, wouldn’t the Bank involved be obligated to hand over any monies in the account to the widow?

Actually, I would be pleased if my USA bank paid enough attention to question an electronic transfer out of my account. I hope they'll do so if a Russian hacker attempts to do so. Like a request for ID, it should be seen as good security in action rather than an insult.

Personally, I didn't consider it an insult.

If a farang has an official legal Will, wouldn’t the Bank involved be obligated to hand over any monies in the account to the widow?
Correct mate. I had my legal will done/ updated in Australia before we moved here in 2018.
I also have a binding legal death benefit for my super and investments lodged with my financial advisor in Perth.
In the event of my demise, these people will handle all the legalities on behalf of my wife, who also holds Australian citizenship.
The only assets I have here are two bank accounts which my wife can sort out as, they are outlined in the legal doccuments.

Different countries have different rules

In the UK, most banks will transfer the money held in the account to the person named in the Will -provided the amount does not exceed £20,000. Some banks have a higher limit. Beyond these limits probate is required.

Here in Thailand (unless what some members have indicated recently, that a beneficiary can be named on an account) probate is always needed even if there is a Will. With no Will, Thai intestacy rules apply where some 50% of bank money -and indeed the value of other assets -automatically goes to family members, in a strict order (other than the wife) who picks up the remaining 50%.

A partner will receive nothing unless named in a Will

If you want your money and other assets to go where you want after death, then making a Will is the best bet!

The market is still figity from the RBA's announcement that it " MIGHT"raise interest rates, this is a short term hiccup. " MIGHT".

Once the US Fed splashes a few increases on rates that "MIGHT" from your RBA turns into a WILL.

Ferret, I believe you have this erroneously in the wrong topic section.

(I am only informing you as I do not report anything...not the mods job. The poster is responsible on deciding whether or not to move with attached comments onto another proper thread.)

Enjoy another fantastic day mate!

RELEASING BANK MONEY ON DEATH OF DEPOSITOR - THAILAND

I have today been asked to assist a local widow whose Scandinavian husband died last week. It seems he had 2 accounts here in Thailand with Kasikorn and 2 with SCB.

A friend of the widow, who works for Kasikorn has apparently told her that the bank will release money to the widow as long as the account balance is less than 200,000bt, on production of just the death and marriage certificates. She has yet to visit SCB

Not yet put to the test, but I somehow doubt that can happen.

How does the bank know the husband did not make a Will leaving money to someone other than the wife?

Could the wife withhold the Will if she is not named?

Under the Thai intestacy rules, (ie no Will) a widow only receives half of the money/assets, the other 50% going to family back home in pecking order.........parents/children. siblings etc etc. Normally for any amount a Thai lawyer needs to obtain Thai probate.

She will visit the bank tomorrow and I will update when I hear the result

Back