British Embassy Notarial Services

Yorky

Fullritis Member
I have recent needed to research having UK documents notorised in Thailand and have come across this on the British Government website: "Please note, due to copyright laws, we are unable to certify General Register Office (GRO) documents such as UK birth, death, marriage and civil partnership certificates." I don't know whether a decree nisi comes under the "such as" category but that is what I've been asked to provide by the British Government.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Cheers

Y

I have recent needed to research having UK documents notorised in Thailand and have come across this on the British Government website: "Please note, due to copyright laws, we are unable to certify General Register Office (GRO) documents such as UK birth, death, marriage and civil partnership certificates." I don't know whether a decree nisi comes under the "such as" category but that is what I've been asked to provide by the British Government.

Cheers

Y

Yorky, I am on the same paper-chase as you, as our mutual friend Danny F may have told you. I would ask Prakhonchai Nick for advice by pm. I believe he can help us both on this matter.

What a load of bollox! Another cop out by a UK government agency.

I am sure Nick will be a long soon as he has a connection with a Notary in Pattaya. He has many connections in Pattaya but this is one of the legal variety.

We used someone down there after a well known local lawyer turned out not be a Notary after all.

Personally, I fail to see why something like a decree nisi, or even a birth certificate, needs notarisation. These are matters of public record and be accessed/checked fairly easily.

What a load of bollox! Another cop out by a UK government agency.

I am sure Nick will be a long soon as he has a connection with a Notary in Pattaya. He has many connections in Pattaya but this is one of the legal variety.

We used someone down there after a well known local lawyer turned out not be a Notary after all.

Personally, I fail to see why something like a decree nisi, or even a birth certificate, needs notarisation. These are matters of public record and be accessed/checked fairly easily.

When I needed a letter to confirm that I was free to marry, the embassy accepted sight of my decree nisi (that was 4 or 5 years ago).

Cheers

Y

My daughter, a former full time employee of a Pattaya Lawyer, and now provides translations on a part time basis, can arrange either notarisation or certification of most documents.

Feel free to contact me with any requirements and for advice.

I agree, but trying telling that to the UK "International Pension Centre" in Newcastle.

My daughter, a former full time employee of a Pattaya Lawyer, and now provides translations on a part time basis, can arrange either notarisation or certification of most documents.

Feel free to contact me with any requirements and for advice.

Does your daughter have a license to be a notary or does she just pass the work onto to a authorised person ?

Don't mean to be a party popper BUT Thailand is NOT a signature of the
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apostille_Convention and as such any document you have notarized by ANY Thai source can be thrown out of court in your home country. The only notarization that is accepted is YOUR Embassy in Thailand. We have members on this forum that learnt this lessons the hard way.

I very much doubt Yorkys paperwork will be going anywere near a court.

Im aware of many people who had similar requirements as Yorky all been done not one refusal.

I agree, but trying telling that to the UK "International Pension Centre" in Newcastle.

Out of interest, why do the IPC want a copy of the decree ?

I could well be in the same position in a few years time and can only assume they want to check that there is no claim by a wife/ex-wife ??

This is an interesting subject. Since a couple of years ago there is no longer a 'married persons' pension and both men and woman have a pension in their own rights. Those drawing a married persons pension before a couple of years ago will lose this benefit in 2118 or so. So I do not understand or see what the connection is between ex wife and ex husband as far as the pension service is concerned. Or, for that matter, the relevance of being married to the same wife or a new wife. Anyone know what's it all about?

I very much doubt Yorkys paperwork will be going anywere near a court. QUOTE]

You are correct. I shall not be paying to have any documents notorised which are available in UK. But I thought that paragraph from the Embassy site may be a legitimate excuse should it come to blows!

Out of interest, why do the IPC want a copy of the decree?

No idea, but I was told on the phone that I may not receive my (legally entitled to) pension if I did not send a notorised copy. After being told that I only had a copy, the daft bitch said “get the copy notorised”. To prevent any legal action against me (the calls are recorded) I refrained from the obvious answer and said “thank you very much for your time” and closed the phone.

Cheers

Y

This is an interesting subject. Since a couple of years ago there is no longer a 'married persons' pension and both men and woman have a pension in their own rights. Those drawing a married persons pension before a couple of years ago will lose this benefit in 2118 or so. So I do not understand or see what the connection is between ex wife and ex husband as far as the pension service is concerned. Or, for that matter, the relevance of being married to the same wife or a new wife. Anyone know what's it all about?

As you know Nomad, it's all beyond me also. I remember when I worked for a living that some things (but not all) made sense.

Cheers

Y

Yorky,

For your information, I was married before, divorced and have a decree 'nisi' to prove it. When I applied for my UK State Pension I don't think this question cropped up. I think I only stated that I was married and enclosed a copy to my Thai marriage certificate and a copy of the certified registration of marriage. For sure, they never asked me for a notarized copy of my divorce from my first wife. I think I would have remembered this.
Puzzling.

Yorky,

For your information, I was married before, divorced and have a decree 'nisi' to prove it. When I applied for my UK State Pension I don't think this question cropped up. I think I only stated that I was married and enclosed a copy to my Thai marriage certificate and a copy of the certified registration of marriage. For sure, they never asked me for a notarized copy of my divorce from my first wife. I think I would have remembered this.
Puzzling.

I think it is a case of "Don't tell him your name Pike".

Only provide what is necessary and keep it as basic/simple as possible.

I don't think I have a copy of the decree absolute from my second marriage - I most definitely haven't from my first marriage.

Does your daughter have a license to be a notary or does she just pass the work onto to a authorised person ?

My daughter just does the translation work. Where certification or notarisation is needed she can pass the documents to the appropriate people for the required service.

Today I received this letter (posted 15 November one would assume - obviously not first class):

I did not send any original documents, neither did I send notarised copies, although I did make it clear on my application that this was the case.

Pension Letter.jpg

Back