Employment options for young men in Surin

I think they are as strict as they need to be. Yes, I need the 12 x 65k+ monthly receipts (confirmed by the 12-month Bank Statement for the previous 12 months), the Letter from the bank manager confirming the balance in the Bank Book, (same day as the application), and in my case, as supporting evidence that my income comes from overseas each month, confirmation from each of my 3 pension providers that I receive the monies shown from overseas. My pension providers provide a statement of account each April that clearly show how much is paid to me each month. The fact that the pension statements run from 6th April to 5th April and the bank statement runs from 1st December to 30th November means there is a small imbalance in the yearly amount transferred. This has not been a problem with Surin Immigration for the past 3 years.
Sounds like a pain in the arse with the paper trail they want, and would it not be easier for the proof of 400K annually (marriage visa) than 800K for a retirement visa? I mean, if legally married, why not go for the lesser of the financial requirements? As far as I know there are no benefits from one to another, and it is cheaper by half. Why go for the more expensive financial requirement when being married legally to a Thai? The one good thing about the marriage visa is it much less expensive to prove the income requirement. Are there any actual benefits for having the retirement visa? (Anyone over 50 and having the money can get a retirement visa.)

Hell, what if they raise those financial requirements, as they can do any time, especially with a new government seemingly needing money from where ever they can source it? (It's not as though most living here on pensions are gaining any cost of living raises annually, if at all.) With the marriage visa you have a 400K (at the moment) buffer zone if they do raise the requirements.

Just wondering why many do not use this one good financial benefit of being married to a Thai gives you. (Besides the love and all that.) :)

I'll add it also gives you 400K not locked up in a Thai bank account for the visa bullshite you can spend each year on the wife and family expenses etc.

Last edited:
Good questions, Cent. I’m arriving back in 10 days and will try to find the answers. His mom is pretty smart, so math might be OK
(math is one of my strong points, I can judge/teach). It really depends on how much he learned in school. All you need for trade jobs is basic algebra and some geometry. Trig and calculus/differential equations are pointless unless you’re an engineer. All the kids these days are computer users, but most can’t code. That’s a waste of time, anyway, as it’s mostly being done now by low wage workers in India! I now just do it for fun. The real question is whether he’s willing to accept that there is no way to earn a good living unless you gain a skill people are willing to pay you for.
"All the kids these days are computer users"

Being able to use a computer is not the same as being able to fix a computer. Whole different kettle of fish.

Hell, what if they raise those financial requirements, as they can do any time, especially with a new government seemingly needing money from where ever they can source it?

As far as I can see the only moneys that the government get from the "money in the bank" is 15% of the interest accumulated on that money. And as you know 15% of FA is still FA.

As far as I can see the only moneys that the government get from the "money in the bank" is 15% of the interest accumulated on that money. And as you know 15% of FA is still FA.
OK, then why do they insist you keep your money in their banks for such a long period of time? Why not just accept the 800K bank statement from where ever you stash your cash when you apply for the visa? Why do they care where your money is banked? Someone must be making money from this crap. The banks? They keep trying as well for the high income tourists to spend/put money in Thai banks for 'special' visas. There has to be money being made off the visas and requirements. Otherwise why bother with the BS and hoops they want you to jump through to stay here?

Last edited:
The first year they sent him to an electrical school. The they sent him to a CRAIN SCHOOL. At age of 22 he applied for his CDL and passed the written test and the driving test on his first try.
Fantastic success story, he did something with this training !
He deserves tremendous credit for his initiative and success.

It's not the degree from a institute of higher learning or vocational trade training that makes a person successful.
The individual that is obtained the education is the one that turns his knowledge into success.

Last edited:
Fantastic success story, he did something with this training !
He deserves tremendous credit for his initiative and success.

It's not the degree from a institute of higher learning or vocational trade training that makes a person successful.
The individual that is obtained the education is the one that turns his knowledge into success.
He was lucky to have such a good uncle to help him get the ability to move forward in life. Kudos to Unc as well as the kid.

I think they are as strict as they need to be. Yes, I need the 12 x 65k+ monthly receipts (confirmed by the 12-month Bank Statement for the previous 12 months), the Letter from the bank manager confirming the balance in the Bank Book, (same day as the application), and in my case, as supporting evidence that my income comes from overseas each month, confirmation from each of my 3 pension providers that I receive the monies shown from overseas. My pension providers provide a statement of account each April that clearly show how much is paid to me each month. The fact that the pension statements run from 6th April to 5th April and the bank statement runs from 1st December to 30th November means there is a small imbalance in the yearly amount transferred. This has not been a problem with Surin Immigration for the past 3 years.

That is good news; they do not seek specific bank certification for the international transfers like Jomtien.

That is good news; they do not seek specific bank certification for the international transfers like Jomtien.
Surin Immi is pretty cool. Depends on how you present yourself, or if they know you from over the years coming in there and you've always maintained your cool and dress like a decent sort that doesn't think going to Immi is like going to the beach. :innocent:;;victory;; A cool heart and some respect goes a long ways up here I have seen.

Surin Immi is pretty cool. Depends on how you present yourself, or if they know you from over the years coming in there and you've always maintained your cool and dress like a decent sort that doesn't think going to Immi is like going to the beach. :innocent:;;victory;; A cool heart and some respect goes a long ways up here I have seen.
Agree and that attitude applies to all government departments too

OK, then why do they insist you keep your money in their banks for such a long period of time? Why not just accept the 800K bank statement from where ever you stash your cash when you apply for the visa? Why do they care where your money is banked? Someone must be making money from this crap. The banks? They keep trying as well for the high income tourists to spend/put money in Thai banks for 'special' visas. There has to be money being made off the visas and requirements. Otherwise why bother with the BS and hoops they want you to jump through to stay here?
Good points, Cent. I'm convinced that powerful business lobbies drive this in a corrupt fashion in Thailand. In the case of the banks, they get a massive amount of money on deposit for which they pay virtually no interest, and get to loan out at 6% to farmers. So they're making at least ฿40,000 per year on each 'retirement visa' holder. Likewise the insurance requirement, which is a joke, particularly for programs such as the 'wealthy pensioners' from the TBI who don't need or use such insurance. Pure moneymaker for the insurance companies. What I don't get is that the overall economic input from farang husbands is much bigger if they make it easy to be here for more months of each year. Of what benefit to Thailand is it to limit USA tourists, for example, to 30 days without a visa? Let'm come for 5 months each winter, spending freely! Likewise Russkies, who are flooding Phuket (as long as they're not paying with rubles stained with Ukrainian blood)

"All the kids these days are computer users"

Being able to use a computer is not the same as being able to fix a computer. Whole different kettle of fish.
In the age of mass production, there is little actual 'fixing of computers' any more. Some component replacement, cracked screens and such. I watched an elevator serviceman in Sweden working on a modern elevator. He bemoaned the fact that if it wasn't working, about all he could do was swap in a new controller computer board. But perhaps what you mean is being able to set up whole systems and keep them working. That requires a fair bit of training. My 85 year old elder brother is a top retired (power) electrical engineer, currently on several oversight boards, and he needs lots of my computer support to keep things working. He just doesn't get modern systems. I grew up with them.

Good points, Cent. I'm convinced that powerful business lobbies drive this in a corrupt fashion in Thailand. In the case of the banks, they get a massive amount of money on deposit for which they pay virtually no interest, and get to loan out at 6% to farmers. So they're making at least ฿40,000 per year on each 'retirement visa' holder. Likewise the insurance requirement, which is a joke, particularly for programs such as the 'wealthy pensioners' from the TBI who don't need or use such insurance. Pure moneymaker for the insurance companies. What I don't get is that the overall economic input from farang husbands is much bigger if they make it easy to be here for more months of each year. Of what benefit to Thailand is it to limit USA tourists, for example, to 30 days without a visa? Let'm come for 5 months each winter, spending freely! Likewise Russkies, who are flooding Phuket (as long as they're not paying with rubles stained with Ukrainian blood)
฿40,000 per year on each 'retirement visa' holder.

Not so. They may make ฿40,000 per on those retirees who show 800,000 Baht in the bank each year but those, like myself for example, who transfer in excess of 65,000 Baht each month of the year, I doubt if they make any money at all. I keep very little cash in my bank account, most is transferred to my wife and daughters for monthly living expenses. Last year or the year before, the letter from the bank manger (and bank book) showed I had about 300 Baht in my account. Nothing was said. :)

฿40,000 per year on each 'retirement visa' holder.

Not so. They may make ฿40,000 per on those retirees who show 800,000 Baht in the bank each year but those, like myself for example, who transfer in excess of 65,000 Baht each month of the year, I doubt if they make any money at all. I keep very little cash in my bank account, most is transferred to my wife and daughters for monthly living expenses. Last year or the year before, the letter from the bank manger (and bank book) showed I had about 300 Baht in my account. Nothing was said. :)
Smart, Nomad. That’s my goal. I started automatic Wise transfers monthly in August. By January 2025 renewal, I should have an acceptable track record at K-Bank. No one answered my question as to whether anyone on forum files Thai tax returns. You?

Smart, Nomad. That’s my goal. I started automatic Wise transfers monthly in August. By January 2025 renewal, I should have an acceptable track record at K-Bank. No one answered my question as to whether anyone on forum files Thai tax returns. You?
I have paid tax and social security for the last 11 years employment at SSKRU. Today is my first day of retirement, from the said job too!!!!

Back