F.C.D Bangkok Bank account

Nothing is for ever.... perhaps next year BKB will require a work permit....

Nothing is for ever.... perhaps next year BKB will require a work permit....

BKB required a work permit to permit me to have online banking in 2002. And couldn't tell me why. That was the reason why I kicked them into touch.

BKB required a work permit to permit me to have online banking in 2002. And couldn't tell me why. That was the reason why I kicked them into touch.

A fine example of how things can change. Now they don't, Kasikorn do....... the answer seems obvious to me.

AtB worked than one out, Nick and I followed suit............. just you left Pal.

They don't.

The reason that I am researching which bank (if any) would be suitable for me to open an FCD account is because the information within this thread is conflicting/incorrect and I would prefer to have all the options clearly defined prior to making the decision; if I need to make the decision. I'm sure that you would consider that approach to be the sensible way to proceed?

The reason that I am researching which bank (if any) would be suitable for me to open an FCD account is because the information within this thread is conflicting/incorrect and I would prefer to have all the options clearly defined prior to making the decision; if I need to make the decision. I'm sure that you would consider that approach to be the sensible way to proceed?

Where does the information conflict ?

There are three that I can remember from memory at present:

a) The OP (AtB) initially stated that there was no charge from Bangkok Bank for depositing the funds into the account - this subsequently was accepted as being incorrect.

b) PN stated that a FCD can not be opened in joint names. This is incorrect in respect of the Kasikorn Bank; maybe others, I've yet to determine.

c) You have stated that Kasikorn Bank require you to be in possession of a work permit to qualify for internet banking. It is yet to be determined if this is fact.

[Edit: And a couple of others from a banned member:

d) You can only conduct FCA business at the exact branch that opened your account.

e) You must go to the bank in person with your account book(s) and passport (proving identity). (This was in answer to my question "Is it not possible to use Bualuang iBanking?")

Last edited:
a) Charge is 0.25% max 500 Baht. No charge for transfers out.

b) I believe that BKB FCD cannot be in joint names (although I haven't personally checked that as it is not relevant to me). I am aware than joint accounts can be an issue where online banking is concerned with Kasikorn (although I think PCN may have overcome this ?).

c) I don't believe that I ever mentioned WPs being a requirement for internet banking...... news to me Pal. A WP was required by SCB to open an account.

At the end of the day you can get all the info/facts you like but it may all change when you actually visit the bank. I believe AtB, and others, were fortunate in finding a user-friendly bank official.

c) I don't believe that I ever mentioned WPs being a requirement for internet banking...... news to me Pal. A WP was required by SCB to open an account.

Jasus pal, it was only a few posts ago - "BKB required a work permit to permit me to have online banking in 2002. - answer: A fine example of how things can change. Now they don't, Kasikorn do."

At the end of the day you can get all the info/facts you like but it may all change when you actually visit the bank. I believe AtB, and others, were fortunate in finding a user-friendly bank official.

I am totally aware of that and which is one of the reasons why I prefer to conduct all my negotiations/enquiries in writing. I appreciate that it is unlikely to make any difference whatsoever here in LoS to the outcome, but it makes me feel better.

I am totally aware of that and which is one of the reasons why I prefer to conduct all my negotiations/enquiries in writing. I appreciate that it is unlikely to make any difference whatsoever here in LoS to the outcome, but it makes me feel better.

Creature of habit/intransigent? ......... no wonder you quickly settled in Thailand!

Less bollocks last evening (19:46):

"Truly apologize for the previous email regarding opening FCD account, we would like to inform that in case of you are holding retirement Visa, you are able to gather other documents showing source of deposited funds such as account statements and evidence of real estate transactions and passport to open FCD account.

Once again please accept our sincere apologies for inconvenience causes to you. Should you have any further enquiries, please do not hesitate to contact K-Contact Center at Tel. (66) 2888 8888 or email us at info@kasikornbank.com 24 hours a day 7 days a week."

Perseverance and doggedness 1 - Kasikorn bollocks 0

I have always liked Kasikorn, especially the local branch in Prakhonchai.

You have proved that gathering information is not enough - especially when dealing with Thais as their first answer is not necessarily complete/accurate.

The only disadvantage (and a big one for me) is the online banking situation...... plus the fact that Kasikorn TT rates are always worse than Bangkok bank.

Yorky does not need internet banking, as he proposes just one withdrawal - when the time is right. Kasikorn will provide a joint account, so that upon demise, the wife will have access. Bangkok Bank do not -so far as I know -offer a joint account, in which case internet banking is probably necessary.

Bangkok Bank TT rates, are as CO-CO has indicated generally lower than Kasikorn. However their initial deposit rates are slightly better than Kasikorn, at 0.25% (min 200, max 500baht) whereas Kasikorn add on another 0.1%, plus a 20bt charge for transporting the account from Bangkok to the provinces.

Work permits are not required by Bangkok Bank. Do not know about the other banks.

More conflicting information.

"Kasikorn TT rates are always worse than Bangkok bank"

"Bangkok Bank TT rates, are as CO-CO has indicated generally lower than Kasikorn"

I haven't conducted an in depth survey on this point, and probably never will given that we are only talking a couple of satang.

Back