Farmers quitting rice for sugar cane.

mahdam

Surin Founding Father
Farmers in my area Nr Krasang in Buriram are quitting rice and planting sugar cane in a big way.
Teams of out of town contractors with heavy equipment are ripping out the banks dividing the rice padies,
ploughing, and planting sugar cane at an alarming rate. Is this going on in your area?

It is too wet in the wet season and too dry in the dry season to grow sugar cane here the area east of Surin city. The fields fill with water and cane can't grow in water. There is no means to water the crop in the dry season.

Farmers in my area Nr Krasang in Buriram are quitting rice and planting sugar cane in a big way.
Teams of out of town contractors with heavy equipment are ripping out the banks dividing the rice padies,
ploughing, and planting sugar cane at an alarming rate. Is this going on in your area?
Same thing happened here near Nong Ki around 5 years ago.........Sugar crop is late this year too ,hence a shortage of ethanol...some garages out of E20 already!!

Not happening in Kap Choeng. Its business as usual. What your seeing is the usual knee jerk reaction by the Thais. When things look better on the other side of the fence when one jumps over they all have to jump over.

Not happening in Kap Choeng. Its business as usual. What your seeing is the usual knee jerk reaction by the Thais. When things look better on the other side of the fence when one jumps over they all have to jump over.
You seem to get a lot more rain down in KC than around Nong Ki,,just not enough around here these days to support rice farming

Exactly what I thought GL. But Sugar does seem to grow well in these parts. when I flew back into Satuk just last week the amount of seasoned sugar growing in that area is amazing. Our area is very similar, and already has a good amount of seasoned sugar, so it may just work for them. We will not be investing though, and will stick with the Rice.

You seem to get a lot more rain down in KC than around Nong Ki,,just not enough around here these days to support rice farming

Its a mixture of products about this area. Yes we do get rain for one crop per year of rice. Sugar cain, cassava, rubber and eucalyptus takes up the rest. Sounds like about mahdam's area they are throwing in the towel on rice because of the price which is understandable. The problem as I see it the farmer is now committed for 1 year for harvest, aka no rice, and it looks to me as if they have sold out to a cain cartel which gives a lower price for the crop.

and it looks to me as if they have sold out to a cain cartel which gives a lower price for the crop.
Yep. I reckon you are right on that one as well. I also think it's the cane company that's funding the machinery that's doing the land clearing and planting operations,
presumably the cost for this will also be deducted from the eventual sale of the Sugar.

Yep. I reckon you are right on that one as well. I also think it's the cane company that's funding the machinery that's doing the land clearing and planting operations,
presumably the cost for this will also be deducted from the eventual sale of the Sugar.

You can put money on that. I saw this done along time back in KC with cain and euc. The SWMBO family told them to f**k OFF.:D

At least we are getting 34-35 Baht for rubber this year.
Last year it was 22-24 baht.

Price of Durex is up. :D

pleasureme-box-foil.jpg

Back