Foreigners may no longer require a teacher's license

Cent

FORUM SPONSOR
Foreigners may no longer require a teacher's license

According to this proposal foreign teachers may no longer require a TL. Obviously it is only just a proposal for now but looks like they may have realised that, despite Thailand having one of the worst levels of English skills of all ASEAN countries, it is one of the hardest for foreigners to teach legally which is why many are leaving and teaching elsewhere, quite often in another ASEAN country.

Most other ASEAN countries have relaxed their requirements and welcomed foreigners to help improve the English skills of their population but Thailand has been doing the opposite!

http://www.dailynews...ducation/232094

Good news! Hope it passes through. I have taken all four of the TL tests and they are a bitch to say the least. The problem is that the tests have nothing to do with teaching English or any other subject here. They are geared towards administration. I think the pass rate for all four is around 10% since its implementation back in 2006-2007.

Hopefully Thailand has finally woken up and is starting to realize that shooting itself in the foot time and time again hurts!

Just read a story in the BKK Post a few days ago. The Ministry of Education is"concerned" and "shocked" at how low the proficiency is in this country. The main concern is that most of the information (about 90%) out there that students need to get ahead in their studies is in English (web pages, journals, etc.) No brainer there!

A recent survey conducted out of 54 countries placed Thailand at 53 right behind Libya in English proficiency. Must have left a very bad taste. Time to wake up!

Last edited:
how enlightening

As properly documented teachers must have a work permit and proper 'non-retirement' work-visa - they are not required to keep any minimum bank balances like other "one year" visa holders.

Jeez, all this time I thought the huge push for Foreign teachers to take the Thai 'cultural' preparation classes & pay the fees multiple times to try to pass the test to receive a 'teachers license' was all about getting additional revenue from this particular visa-group of foreigners.

I guess I was clueless. ThumbUp6

Good news! Hope it passes through. I have taken all four of the TL tests and they are a bitch to say the least. The problem is that the tests have nothing to do with teaching English or any other subject here. They are geared towards administration. I think the pass rate for all four is around 10% since its implementation back in 2006-2007.

Hopefully Thailand has finally woken up and is starting to realize that shooting itself in the foot time and time again hurts!

Just read a story in the BKK Post a few days ago. The Ministry of Education is"concerned" and "shocked" at how low the proficiency is in this country. The main concern is that most of the information (about 90%) out there that students need to get ahead in their studies is in English (web pages, journals, etc.) No brainer there!

A recent survey conducted out of 54 countries placed Thailand at 53 right behind Libya in English proficiency. Must have left a very bad taste. Time to wake up!

Echo that. I am in my 16th year of teaching here in Thailand. If anything the standards have dropped. The "new generation" of teachers coming fresh out of Rajabhats around the country don't have basic conversation skills.

This will be a good thing. There will be the whingers who say all teachers should be qualified, but that is base less. Is a fully qualified teacher going to come to Thailand and work for the salaries being offered when they can earn quadruple amounts in somewhere like Singapore? I also think that teachers qualified in their own countries would find it very difficult to adapt to the "Thai way"

There have been many very good "unqualified" teachers leaving their posts because they cannot get the required paper work to get a work permit. Some have been here for 10+ years. Can someone who has been teaching for 10 years suddenly become unqualified?

Lets get this great ball rolling and try to get some English into the classroom.

Echo that. I am in my 16th year of teaching here in Thailand. If anything the standards have dropped. The "new generation" of teachers coming fresh out of Rajabhats around the country don't have basic conversation skills.

This will be a good thing. There will be the whingers who say all teachers should be qualified, but that is base less. Is a fully qualified teacher going to come to Thailand and work for the salaries being offered when they can earn quadruple amounts in somewhere like Singapore? I also think that teachers qualified in their own countries would find it very difficult to adapt to the "Thai way"

There have been many very good "unqualified" teachers leaving their posts because they cannot get the required paper work to get a work permit. Some have been here for 10+ years. Can someone who has been teaching for 10 years suddenly become unqualified?

Lets get this great ball rolling and try to get some English into the classroom.

Yo, yo, yo - Touche' Stevo !
Even from an American standpoint - your final words say it all.

Very good point stevo. It truly boggles the mind! WTF1

Back