Good info, what if your wife dies before you!

Agreed. I am surprised cos he goes to Staffords regularly,Alan. He is even a bit of a celebrity now that he has his pin-up picture showing at my Barbers shop. :Agree:

Yeah but, no but, it is a 'Have you see this man' picture Dave. :LMAO1:

I knew me being a celebrity would come out into the open sooner or later. :GrinNod1:

Sorry but we've definitely gone off topic here.:Offtopic2:

Last edited by a moderator:
....but dont just walk....

All joking aside don't we all make our lives here knowing it will be passed on to the Thai family anyway.:?
An old friend of mine always said " never invest more than you can't walk away from and you can't go wrong " Wise words IMHO.:GrinNod1:

I am of the same opinion, only put in what you can afford to lose, which is what i have done so far.
However.... the thought of her getting the fruits on my hard work for nothing, just because she wants or had it planned all the time, to me is so worse than the money loss IMHO.

Having paid for the build, a man has to be able to take back what he has put in or 'modify' it accordingly.
There are many cases of guys that have built houses only to find they have been conned all along, some walk away, some suffer financially and the brave?....... They Demolish before they walk !!

Cheers, MH

Yes there are and obtaining a will for you and your wife plus a Usufruct will ensure you have a home even if the unfortunate situation arises were your wife dies before you.

Now, try selling your house and land built in the wife's village to anyone besides a family member when she passes on. You'll have little to no chance of finding a buyer. You can put the property under the name of your Thai (look krueng) child, if you have one with your Thai wife, and if they are a Thai citizen.
Mike/Cent
I would venture to say that most people that build in the village are on family land and not solely in their wife's name. The house would probably be willed to you and not the land. Try selling a house on someone else's land.

I would venture to say that most people that build in the village are on family land and not solely in their wife's name. The house would probably be willed to you and not the land. Try selling a house on someone else's land.

I did this very same thing but before the house was finished told the wife I wanted the land put in her name.As I didn't give a Sinsod to the Out-laws, I afforded them 50k to put the land in the wife's name,which they excepted.I wont go into great detail as I have written about this before but we fell out with the Out-laws and they tried to get the land back as it was gifted to us on paper even though I had paid 50k.They could have the land back but must pay for the house on the land which they couldn't do so we are still here.I did have a domestic with the wife a few years ago ( don't we all :) ) and throw her out and all of her gear over the back wall into the out-laws garden.My wife never tried to get me out of the house and although we are back together and are happier than ever I still don't speak to the Out-laws ,even after 3 years.If anything was to happen to Ploy I would have no problem living amongst family I don't get on with but I don't think a future partner could do the same.!!

The only option would be is to marry Ploys sexy ,gorgeous ,Hot and single younger sister..:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thai Inheritance law is a joke but I like your idea of having a 2nd reserve in waiting and in true Forest Gump stylie "Thats all I'm going to say on the matter"

Everyone should wait until the bills pile up when building...This is the time to demand an agreement/usufruct/lease in the falangs name. The wife/girlfriend will show her true colours and either agree or not. If she doesn't agree WALK then because she's usually the best one from the family and it's about to get real bad. Thank christ for usufructs!

Everyone should wait until the bills pile up when building...This is the time to demand an agreement/usufruct/lease in the falangs name. The wife/girlfriend will show her true colours and either agree or not. If she doesn't agree WALK then because she's usually the best one from the family and it's about to get real bad. Thank christ for usufructs!

I agree a agreement/usufruct/lease should be taken out but I don't have one.:( I was told by a Solicitor that this must be done prior to the start of any building on the land :?
My and the wife tried to obtain one when the Monster in laws wanted her land back,even though I had given her 50k for it but was gifted to my wife to save the M in L paying tax.At the time the Solicitors told us it was to late and could look bad if it ever went to court ,as it looked like a ploy to stop the M in L for claiming her land back.I would say ask the wife/GF first,if she says no walk before you spend one Baht.....:)

This is from Sunbelt Asia
A Usufruct may be created on property at any time provided that the owner of the land agrees to the terms of the contract. Although you will not be the lawful owner of the land, you can contact with the landowner to have the right to lease or rent out the land and receive a payment for the occupation of the land pursuant to the rental agreement. The usufructuary shall take as much care of the Property as a person of ordinary prudence would take of his own property. Usually the payment of all the land’s taxes will fall on the usufructary for the term of the agreement. You are essentially the property manager of the house and land and enjoy the property as an owner would (enjoying the "use" and "fruits" of the land while you are the usufruct holder).

Thanks Nick and it can last your lifetime and will always be nulified upon your death.

Cheers for clearing that up Nick.Maybe the Solicitors told us it could look bad if it ever went to court ,as it looked like a ploy to stop the M in L for claiming her land back :?.But the advice from the Solicitor was free ,so what do you expect....:)

Back