I just had a hell of a shock in the shower!

georgefromcanada

You chose a custom title
I like to do my farming early in the morning because it's cooler out and come in to shower about 10 when my wife gets up.

This morning while showering with my back towards the tap I got an odd tingling in my back.
I turned around and and shut the tap off and got a hell of a jolt. The muscles in my arm, shoulder and back are as stiff as a sailor on liberty in Pattaya.

Two questions
1 How much will it cost to repair?

2. Should I wait until after my wife showers to tell her?

I like to do my farming early in the morning because it's cooler out and come in to shower about 10 when my wife gets up.

This morning while showering with my back towards the tap I got an odd tingling in my back.
I turned around and and shut the tap off and got a hell of a jolt. The muscles in my arm, shoulder and back are as stiff as a sailor on liberty in Pattaya.

Two questions

That’s dangerous.

Two questions

FFS mate, get a sparky now, or you may need to get a new missus.
Lucky you weren't washing your todger.

Our hot water heater is fitted with a Earth-leakage circuit breaker (ELCB). The main purpose of Earth leakage protector is to prevent injury (and death) to men and women due to electric shock. Suggested course of action:

Get a sparky around to check out your heater immediately.

Buy a new heater with an ELCB installed.

Buy a ticket for the lottery. You are very lucky to still be alive.

Finally, do not use the shower again until the fault has been rectified.

Our hot water heater is fitted with a Earth-leakage circuit breaker (ELCB). The main purpose of Earth leakage protector is to prevent injury (and death) to men and women due to electric shock. Suggested course of action:

Get a sparky around to check out your heater immediately.

Buy a new heater with an ELCB installed.

Buy a ticket for the lottery. You are very lucky to still be alive.

Finally, do not use the shower again until the fault has been rectified.
Agree 100% (as an ex-plumber). In my house in Surin I had to ensure the 2 showers were correctly Earthed and power was an uninterrupted source from the fusebox/rcts. Mine were previously spliced into the lighting circuit and the 2 trip-switches were just for 'show' FFS!

Two questions

Was your hot water heater on at the time ? If so, is it earthed ?
If not...then you know what to do.

If you were not utilising the hot water heater then you have an electrical short in a very dangerous area.

I know...duh, huh. ;-)
Seek out a residential sparky and of course Good Luck.

The water heater is 7 years old and had the mother board replaced by a manufacturers rep 3 years ago. It is grounded and has the safety switch, though I never checked to see if the red light was on before climbing in.

My wife's father has a friend who knows a guy who repairs car radios.
Until he gets here to repair the heater, the circuit breaker to the bathroom will stay off.

The water heater is 7 years old and had the mother board replaced by a manufacturers rep 3 years ago. It is grounded and has the safety switch, though I never checked to see if the red light was on before climbing in.

My wife's father has a friend who knows a guy who repairs car radios.
Until he gets here to repair the heater, the circuit breaker to the bathroom will stay off.
Just buy a new heater and get a " QUALIFIED " electrician to install it, if you can find one.

A couple of years ago we were receiving a tingling sensation from the water tap on the en suite shower. The tap was metal but was only connected to everything else by plastic (and water). We got the sparks in and he isolated the fault to a internally damaged cable between one of the rice cookers and the wall socket. How he discovered that and why it should be connected I have no idea but after replacing the rice cooker cable the problem was solved.

Back