Immigration Require Foreigners to have Covid test to stay in Thailand.

CO-CO

Rather wrinkly & occasionally cantankerous member
IMPORTANT: According to this document published in the Royal Gazette, the Immigration law for Section 12 (4) and Section 44 (2) has been changed to include the need for the foreigners to have a #COVID19 test done in order to stay in #Thailand.

This was published in the Royal Gazette on 25th December 2020. The part that is underlined says it will become law 30 days later. So, that is then 25th January 2021. The week after next. I’ve already had someone tell me that they were told by their local Immigration that they need to do a COVID test before they come in on Monday to extend their stay. This is not correct as it doesn’t start until 25th January. If they try to do that then show them this document.

As usual, not everything is clear yet. From what I understand (and to be transparent here, there has been no announcement by Immigration yet), this is for everyone who is entering Thailand and for everyone already here and need to extend their stay. It is also needed for those people who are applying for residency. The document doesn’t say how far in advance you need to get the COVID test done. And as these are not cheap, who will pay? You or your employer?

The need for a COVID test are being added to the following in the Immigration Act:

SECTION 12 Aliens falling into any of the following categories are excluded from entering the Kingdom (4) Being of unsound mind or having any of the diseases as prescribed in the Ministerial Regulations

SECTION 44 No alien shall take up residency in the Kingdom, if (2) it appears that such alien is unable to earn own living because of physical infirmity or mental defect or having any diseases as prescribed in the Ministerial Regulations.

I will of course post more information here once I get some clarity on some of the points and also once Immigration make an announcement. But as we all know, that will probably come the day before.

IMPORTANT: According to this document published in the Royal Gazette, the Immigration law for Section 12 (4) and Section 44 (2) has been changed to include the need for the foreigners to have a #COVID19 test done in order to stay in #Thailand.

Are Immigration going to come around to my house or just wait until I need to do my extension in May?

My reading and interpretation of the comments on Richard Barrow's Farcebook page, tends to suggest this new regulation, effective 25th January 2021, only applies to those people on a work permit. Maybe this does not apply to those on a long stay extension based on retirement or marriage. Wait and see.

Richard Barrow in Thailand
2h1350381563297497089

The protesters who are out today are against Section 112 of the Criminal Act: “Whoever defames, insults or threatens the King, the Queen, the Heir-apparent or the Regent, shall be punished with imprisonment of three to fifteen years.” #ม็อบ16มกรา #Thailand

1h1350396147186196481

Starting from 26 January, everyone arriving in the United States will need to show negative coronavirus test results before boarding their flights. This follow the news that everyone must do this for the UK. But there you must also do 10-day home isolation https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/14/travel/international-trav...

28m1350405736447176704

IMPORTANT: According to this document published in the Royal Gazette, the Immigration law for Section 12 (4) and Section 44 (2) is being changed to include the need for the foreigners to have a #COVID19 test done in order to visit (and stay) in #Thailand.

28m1350405738749857792

This document was published in the Royal Gazette on 25th December. The part that is underlined says it will become law 30 days later. So on 25th January. As usual, not everything is clear and to be transparent here, there has been no announcement by Immigration yet

28m1350405741018923008

From what I understand, this is for everyone who is entering Thailand and for everyone already here and need to extend their stay. It is also needed for those people who are applying for residency. The document doesn’t say how far in advance you need to get the COVID test done
1f447.svg

28m1350405743619411969

I will of course post more information here once Immigration make an official announcement with the details. But as we all know, that will probably come the day before. I’m sure you have many questions. So do immigration officials I spoke to. We all have to wait for head office.

My reading and interpretation of the comments on Richard Barrow's Farcebook page, tends to suggest this new regulation, effective 25th January 2021, only applies to those people on a work permit. Maybe this does not apply to those on a long stay extension based on retirement or marriage. Wait and see.

IMO this is aimed at migrant workers; the timing supports that view.

However, the literal interpretation could see long term expats (and permanent residents) caught up in this.

For your information, the cost of a Covid-19 test in one private hospital is:

Screening for COVID-19 New Coronavirus Disease​

Safe – Convenient – Reliable – Fast

By the Internationally Accredited and Certified Laboratory at Bangkok Hospital Siriroj in Phuket
Using the COVID-19 PCR test method, which is recommended by the WHO.

Walk-in patients accepted daily , Time : 10.00 AM. and 01:00 PM.
Visit Building 3, Floor 3 or
Call 076-361888
Price: 5,900 THB

Walk-in test at the hospital’s Acute Respiratory Infection Clinic (ARI Clinic)

(Separate area from general hospital patients)

It follows, if the new gazette order is implemented for all expats resident in Thailand, the cost to renew your annual extension is going to rise significantly. That is, 1,900 baht for the extension + circa 5,900 baht for the Covid-19 test.

Last edited:
Princ Hospital Suvarnabhumi also provides drive-through tests to the public for 5,500 baht per person and will email the result within a few days. This is the same hospital chain that opens in April here in Sisaket

It follows, if the new gazette order is implemented for all expats resident in Thailand, the cost to renew your annual extension is going to rise significantly. That is, 1,900 baht for the extension + circa 5,900 baht for the Covid-19 test.
Plus the cost of going to Phuket and back and other associated expenses!

Last edited by a moderator:

That's assuming that you will be required to have the test every 12 months. That doesn't make sense to me.

That's assuming that you will be required to have the test every 12 months. That doesn't make sense to me.
For any long-stay resident, it's simply bureaucracy gone mad to subject ex-pats to these tests on an annual basis. It makes no sense at all. For new arrivals coming from abroad, it's a different matter. I think it makes a lot of sense for all new arrivals to be tested. This where the threat is coming from, ex-pats from countries with much higher infection rates than Thailand.

I agree. I think this is for those ENTERING Thailand only.

I think the wording is entering and staying.......................with specific reference to holders of work permits.

No matter it only conjecture at the moment as far as retired expats are concerned, this from Tod Daniels on Thai Visa Advice Facebook page:-

Admin · · ATTENTION ALL MEMBERS: There is shit-storm out on the thai related inter-web that started with a post by Richard Barrow speculating that all people getting extensions will need a covid test after the 25th of Jan. It is 100% speculation and at this time there is no factual evidence from the thai government or immigrations that this is happening. The change made to the immigration act is for people ENTERING the country. I will link to the Thai Visa / The Nation News Forum article AND I will highlight the last line on their article: Thaivisa’s advice - wait for further information on this one. Despite being published in Royal Gazette, this may not apply for the vast majority of people reading this post. Don’t panic! At this time we are NOT allowing posts about it and we are not allowing comments about it. We are waiting to see what the thai government says about it first.

I think the wording is entering and staying.......................with specific reference to holders of work permits.

No matter it only conjecture at the moment as far as retired expats are concerned, this from Tod Daniels on Thai Visa Advice Facebook page:-

Admin · · ATTENTION ALL MEMBERS: There is shit-storm out on the thai related inter-web that started with a post by Richard Barrow speculating that all people getting extensions will need a covid test after the 25th of Jan. It is 100% speculation and at this time there is no factual evidence from the thai government or immigrations that this is happening. The change made to the immigration act is for people ENTERING the country. I will link to the Thai Visa / The Nation News Forum article AND I will highlight the last line on their article: Thaivisa’s advice - wait for further information on this one. Despite being published in Royal Gazette, this may not apply for the vast majority of people reading this post. Don’t panic! At this time we are NOT allowing posts about it and we are not allowing comments about it. We are waiting to see what the thai government says about it first.

"Hey Captain Somchai, look at all this shyte being posted on expat websites.
They've got a much better idea to make our budget this year." 555

Ever wonder where the idea will have come from if it ever pertains to expat residents at a later date. :) lol

"Hey Captain Somchai, look at all this shyte being posted on expat websites.
They've got a much better idea to make our budget this year." 555

Ever wonder where the idea will have come from if it ever pertains to expat residents at a later date. :) lol

Richard Burrows isn’t exactly a favorite with Immigration either!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back