It’s Not Just ABC: the Politics of English Teaching in Thailand

Cent

FORUM SPONSOR
It’s Not Just ABC: the Politics of English Teaching in Thailand

Kanyakrit Vongkiatkajorn Jul 30, 2012

In 2007, Bangkok Post reporter Erika Fry wanted to see how easy it was to fake being an English teacher in Thailand. Her resulting article, ‘Thailand’s School Daze’, encapsulates all of the little horror stories we’ve heard of faked resumes, careless school administrators, and overcrowded classrooms. After contacting an employment agency on Khao San Road, Fry found herself in a classroom of 50-something Mattayom students in a school not far outside of Bangkok. She had lied about her age and admitted to having no experience, but there she was, for all intents and purposes, a teacher.

1344302588.jpg

So, how easy is it to become a teacher in Thailand? Very easy, as Fry’s article demonstrates. But her story says more than that: staying in the classroom – and actually being able to teach – is an entirely different ball game. Even if Fry had wanted to teach, she wouldn’t have been able to. With barely any preparation from her school, Fry had absolutely no knowledge of the school’s rules, conduct, or grading policy before she began teaching. Classroom conditions were abysmal. In one instance, she describes struggling to get students to write their own, original sentences, and, after barely accomplishing that, watching students blatantly copying answers from each other: “Cheating - or students doing one another's work happened in every class, and was done in the blatant, undisguised manner of something routine. When I scolded against it, students were baffled, and then quickly resumed writing the other person's paper.” Fry taught for only four days before calling it quits – a resignation that seemed of little concern to the school administrator.

Fry’s story should not be mistaken as just another rehashing of the debate over unqualified teachers in Thailand. As much as it reveals the ease with which one can slip in and out of the education system, it’s also indicative of the major problems dogging English teaching in Thailand today – problems which find their roots in an archaic system of rote-learning, lacklustre commitment from teachers, and inadequate accountability among teachers and administrators. They continue to impede improvement in a country where English proficiency levels are already among the lowest in the world: a recent World Competitiveness Report from the International Institute for Management Development (IMD) ranked Thailand 54
th out of 56 countries for English proficiency, the second-lowest in Asia. Despite the fact that the Thai government has consistently devoted around 20% of its national budget to education, Thailand has shown almost no significant progress since 2003, while other countries in the region soar ahead.

With the upcoming ASEAN Economic Community in 2015, the pressure to improve English proficiency has never been stronger. As masters of the so-coveted tongue, native English-speaking teachers have the potential to play a much-needed role in bringing the nation up to standard. But in a bureaucratic education system that undervalues its teachers, fails to challenge its students, and provides little to no support for its employees, foreign educators often find themselves trying to teach, but not being able to do so. Furthermore, cultural differences play a role: as a foreigner, the experience of being a teacher inevitably involves grappling with Thai culture – one that is not necessarily the most welcoming to outsiders. Taken together, teaching, no matter one’s qualifications or experience, is a challenging task.

Read the rest of the article here: http://www.chiangmaicitynews.com/news.php?id=649

Theres alot of expats who would do anything to stay in thailand, and they would not have a moral issue with faking their resume and certificates to get a job and give sub standard teaching. Combine that with the poor education system in Thailand, what chance do these poor kids have?
Its a shame because the competition for teaching jobs can be now quite fierce, and there are plenty of people who are out there with the correct qualifications and motivation who would like to make a difference.

Agree with everything said, but it must also be considered that some (many?) Thai teachers could have obtained their qualifications be dubious means, just as much as Expats.

I know of both Expats and Thai teachers with fake qualifications. I will not stand for copying or cheating when at work, but that's just me.

I have been told that it is harder to get a job positions in government schools now because a degree is always required, but they are allowed to accept someone for a maximum of 2 years, if the degree is 'being obtained'. (Maybe Stevo can comment as he is more knowledgeable about that type of work)

Last edited:
Agree with everything said, but it must also be considered that some (many?) Thai teachers could have obtained their qualifications be dubious means, just as much as Expats.

I know of both Expats and Thai teachers with fake qualifications. I will not stand for copying or cheating when at work, but that's just me.

I have been told that it is harder to get a job positions in government schools now because a degree is always required, but they are allowed to accept someone for a maximum of 2 years, if the degree is 'being obtained'. (Maybe Stevo can comment as he is more knowledgeable about that type of work)

Edited for confusion.

Thai or foreign teachers with fake quals, two wrongs don't make a right. It needs to be nipped in the bud immediately, what chance do the kids in this country have if parents are sending them to school to be taught by fraudsters? They'd be better off kept on the farm, tending to the buffallo.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have commented on many occasions about the false info that Government schools and Private schools are different. They are not.

Any school that is registered with OBEC has to follow then same rules. All teachers, Thai or foreign must have a degree to teach. This is the rule of the Teachers Council of Thailand. Without a degree you cannot get a letter of permission. Without the letter of permission you cannot get a work permit.

Universities and Language schools are not governed by OBEC.

The teachers council do not check the validity of certificates if a teacher is only applying for a letter of permission. They only check when the applicant is applying for a teachers' licence. This means that "Life experience" degrees often are accepted.

There are many great teachers out there. All of the press about foreign teachers seems to be bad press. That is not the full story.

There is, however, one problem.

FB mentioned a few times about the "poor kids" who will never learn anything. I assume "poor kids" means those that are not getting what they deserve rather than those with no money. If so then there is, from a lot of parents point of view, no problem.

Parents in Thailand are, for the most part, only interested in grades. If their kids get high grades then there is no need to worry about their intelligence. I know of many parents who pay an extra few grand a term for their kids to study a "special" class at weekends, at the teacher's house. All this is is the guarantee of a good grade.

For those who are not familiar with the education system, let me give you a little insight. The teacher that teaches a given subject also writes the 3 monthly test paper. These tests go towards the students grades. This is the same all the way up to 12th grade. All of the tests are multiple choice. That means that the teacher has full control of the students grades. I have seen many teachers stand in front of the kids and explain exactly what is in the test. I have, on one occasion, even seen a teacher write the answers on the board for the students to write in their books to memorise. For many parents this is fully acceptable as their child will get a good grade and they can show face.

Those students that are not that clever can easily get a pass grade by cleaning the teacher's car or sweeping the classroom.

That is why, for English in particular, you get students passing, and I have seen as high as Master Degree level, that graduate and can't speak a bleedin' word.

I'm going for a lie down. Ta ta.

Last edited:
I have heard from others that the situation is pretty much as you describe it, Steve. Buddha only knows how you put up with it and continue working in such a system. The others I heard it from are ex-teachers!

Thank you for that insight Stevo. After reading that, it left me convinced that the education system here is a disgrace.

P.s. Quite correct mate, when i refer to "Poor kids" ( I only mentioned it once mate, no need to exaggerate! ) its not monetary, but how unfortunate they are for receiving a crappy education.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Thai author, Pira Sudham, who is from Napo, in Buriram, talks about Thais being "crippled by the Thai education system".

I was once one of the interviewers for a new job (part-time) in a University English department. After the completion of the process, which included specimen lessons by the three applicants, the Dean favoured an applicant who had taught for 18 months at a University in Bangkok. I disagreed.

Me: This person does not know how to teach a lesson.

Dean: But we can train her.

Me: This university does not provide any training.

Silence from the Dean

To do them justice, the Thai interviewers then appointed the person I had recommended, but how often does an unsuitable person get through the interview system? Both applicants had the appropriate qualifications, but one knew what she was doing; the other did not.

Just an example of how even the right qualifications don't necessarily produce the right person. I will do them justice in one thing; the interview was conducted in English throughout.

The Thai author, Pira Sudham, who is from Napo, in Buriram, talks about Thais being "crippled by the Thai education system".

I was once one of the interviewers for a new job (part-time) in a University English department. After the completion of the process, which included specimen lessons by the three applicants, the Dean favoured an applicant who had taught for 18 months at a University in Bangkok. I disagreed.

Me: This person does not know how to teach a lesson.

Dean: But we can train her.

Me: This university does not provide any training.

Silence from the Dean

To do them justice, the Thai interviewers then appointed the person I had recommended, but how often does an unsuitable person get through the interview system? Both applicants had the appropriate qualifications, but one knew what she was doing; the other did not.

Just an example of how even the right qualifications don't necessarily produce the right person. I will do them justice in one thing; the interview was conducted in English throughout.

IB,

So why was the Dean so hot on the unqualified female teacher? What was the reason he wanted to hire her over the one you suggested?

Mike

IB,

So why was the Dean so hot on the unqualified female teacher? What was the reason he wanted to hire her over the one you suggested?

Mike

She had 18 months' experience in a Bangkok Uni. The one I favoured had just been trained, had very little experience, but knew what she was doing.

Back