Joint Account

W

Wombat

I have just started using a monthly Budget and needed another Bank account to put the monthly amount into so decided to open a joint account with Mrs Wombat. We had one before we moved back to Oz with Bangkok Bank. I should never have cancelled that when we moved back in hindsight. I have an account with Kasikorn and I was going to try to open the joint account with them but they were overflowing with customers again, they seem to be always like that lately. So, off to Bangkok Bank which had only one customer. We go straight to the desk and my wife explains what we are after, straight away I sensed reluctance and little interest from the 2 girls who were dealing with us. After a few questions about my passport, visa and home country we were told that we would have to go to immigration and get them to "verify" my passport or something similar! My wife really couldn't get out of them what they actually required from immigration. Of course my wife tells them we had no problem before and, of course, we got the reply about new rules, blah, blah. So off we go to try another bank. By the way, if I was a shareholder or even an executive in Bangkok Bank I would be pissed off that staff are turning customers away with money, it would never happen in Australia.

We then went to Krungsi, the yellow one as my wife has an account there and they told us "can do" but the Government will tax the interest at 15%, no worries as my wife told them "what interest". They told us to come back in 2 hour and gave us a queue ticket. Two hours later I'm sitting in the bank signing shit loads of forms, dishing out all types of ID and getting bored out of my brain. After about 45 minutes I tell my wife to ask them if I could use the app and internet banking with the account and was told, cannot because it's a joint account! Okay, what about ATM? Cannot because it's a joint account! I specifically wanted all of these as I never wanted to step foot inside a bank again plus I could shuffle money around between accounts as needed.

So, in the end, I left the bank with an account I'll probably never use. Looks like I'll be using cash and a jam tin for my budget strategy.

I know it's a waste of time comparing Banks against your own country's banks but, just for example, I opened 3 accounts for myself including a joint account with my wife and an account for our 16 year old son online. Never had to go inside a bank. The debit cards were mailed and I did all the activating and bill paying etc online.

When my mate first arrived in SSK about a year ago, he got a job teaching in one of the centrally placed schools, with a years contract. There was not a single bank who would open him a 'savings account' for his monthly salary to go into.
He had to go to Sin City where they happily opened him an account (with ATM card)..

It's not necessarily the bank's rules, it could be the staff that do not know the rules.

"You cannot have internet banking with a fixed joint deposit account"

"I have an email here from your head office which says I can"

"Oh, they must have changed something"

Last edited:
I have just started using a monthly Budget and needed another Bank account to put the monthly amount into so decided to open a joint account with Mrs Wombat. We had one before we moved back to Oz with Bangkok Bank. I should never have cancelled that when we moved back in hindsight. I have an account with Kasikorn and I was going to try to open the joint account with them but they were overflowing with customers again, they seem to be always like that lately. So, off to Bangkok Bank which had only one customer. We go straight to the desk and my wife explains what we are after, straight away I sensed reluctance and little interest from the 2 girls who were dealing with us. After a few questions about my passport, visa and home country we were told that we would have to go to immigration and get them to "verify" my passport or something similar! My wife really couldn't get out of them what they actually required from immigration. Of course my wife tells them we had no problem before and, of course, we got the reply about new rules, blah, blah. So off we go to try another bank. By the way, if I was a shareholder or even an executive in Bangkok Bank I would be pissed off that staff are turning customers away with money, it would never happen in Australia.

We then went to Krungsi, the yellow one as my wife has an account there and they told us "can do" but the Government will tax the interest at 15%, no worries as my wife told them "what interest". They told us to come back in 2 hour and gave us a queue ticket. Two hours later I'm sitting in the bank signing shit loads of forms, dishing out all types of ID and getting bored out of my brain. After about 45 minutes I tell my wife to ask them if I could use the app and internet banking with the account and was told, cannot because it's a joint account! Okay, what about ATM? Cannot because it's a joint account! I specifically wanted all of these as I never wanted to step foot inside a bank again plus I could shuffle money around between accounts as needed.

So, in the end, I left the bank with an account I'll probably never use. Looks like I'll be using cash and a jam tin for my budget strategy.

I know it's a waste of time comparing Banks against your own country's banks but, just for example, I opened 3 accounts for myself including a joint account with my wife and an account for our 16 year old son online. Never had to go inside a bank. The debit cards were mailed and I did all the activating and bill paying etc online.
Now I understand why one goes on the p&ss early in the morning ...

It's not necessarily the bank's rules, it could be the staff that do not know the rules.

"You cannot have internet banking with a fixed deposit account"

"I have an email here from your head office which says I can"

"Oh, they must have changed something"
I had a brief thought of sending a letter of complaint but couldn't be bothered.

I am wondering if this may have something to do with your visa status. Presumably, you are still on your 60 or 90-day period of your multi-entry visa. Perhaps the bank needs to see a more permanent visa in your passport, like a long stay, a 12-month permission to remain in Thailand stamp.

Not having internet banking on a joint account is standard.

Just open a separate sole bank account (with whoever you wish), with ATM and internet banking/app .................just pretend it is a joint account and let Mrs Wombat have the PIN number when you get near to croaking!

I am wondering if this may have something to do with your visa status. Presumably, you are still on your 60 or 90-day period of your multi-entry visa. Perhaps the bank needs to see a more permanent visa in your passport, like a long stay, a 12-month permission to remain in Thailand stamp.

I found out when I'd been here for 4 years that my Bangkok Bank account had been opened specifying that I was holding a 12 month multi-entry visa. I had not been made aware of this. Probably why they would not permit me to have internet banking.

Possibly Nomad but they didn't mention that, I would have argued that the Visa will always remain the same but the extension period can differ, but that would have been a waste of time.

Not having internet banking on a joint account is standard.

Just open a separate sole bank account (with whoever you wish), with ATM and internet banking/app .................just pretend it is a joint account and let Mrs Wombat have the PIN number when you get near to croaking!
Yes, you're right CO-CO, I really only need the account to put my monthly budget in, I should never have involved Mrs Wombat.

Yes, you're right CO-CO, I really only need the account to put my monthly budget in, I should never have involved Mrs Wombat.

I have 2 accounts with Kasikorn bank for similar reasons to your good self.

I have internet banking and it is easy to switch money between the accounts and/or make payments. Both are listed as beneficiary accounts on WISE so I can transfer funds into either of them.

I have 2 accounts with Kasikorn bank for similar reasons to your good self.

I have internet banking and it is easy to switch money between the accounts and/or make payments. Both are listed as beneficiary accounts on WISE so I can transfer funds into either of them.
Looks like I'm going to have to put up with the queues.

@Wombat re:monthly budget

Transfer a set amount that the both of you have agreed in advance** on for the running of your household expenses on the first day of each month from your SINGLE ACCOUNT into your Mrs' SINGLE ACCOUNT.
Understanding some months will require additional funds...tuition, health, renovation& maintenace, furnishings, insurance, birthdays, veterinary, medical, automobile maintenance, appliances, in-laws and so forth.

**In many cases it might be best to commence a daily ledger where she can see what she has spent daily and for exactly what...for one or two months so that the you BOTH can get a handle on realistic household expenses.

Afterwards when she comes back to you on the 20th requesting additional funds have the discussion on where, what and whom the funds were distributed to and for.
Hold your ground on if it makes sense and if you can keep a household budget in your future.

Of course there is always something unexpected running a family household.

Ask yourself what they will do when the day comes that you leave this life.
Best for them to get a healthy dose of budgetary reality well in advance. Otherwise it simply will go south. Good luck. ;-)

Of course this is JIMHO. :)

@Wombat re:monthly budget

Transfer a set amount that the both of you have agreed in advance** on for the running of your household expenses on the first day of each month from your SINGLE ACCOUNT into your Mrs' SINGLE ACCOUNT.
Understanding some months will require additional funds...tuition, health, renovation& maintenace, furnishings, insurance, birthdays, veterinary, medical, automobile maintenance, appliances, in-laws and so forth.

**In many cases it might be best to commence a daily ledger where she can see what she has spent daily and for exactly what...for one or two months so that the you BOTH can get a handle on realistic household expenses.

Afterwards when she comes back to you on the 20th requesting additional funds have the discussion on where, what and whom the funds were distributed to and for.
Hold your ground on if it makes sense and if you can keep a household budget in your future.

Of course there is always something unexpected running a family household.

Ask yourself what they will do when the day comes that you leave this life.
Best for them to get a healthy dose of budgetary reality well in advance. Otherwise it simply will go south. Good luck. ;-)

Of course this is JIMHO. :)
My wife thinks she'll die before me.

My wife thinks she'll die before me.

That's fine. Mine says the same. ;-)

"The I want to spend it before I die" mantra never works out well for holding ones family budget intact while saving for a rainy day or a special occasion...
unless of course you're a Government endlessly sucking in taxes all the while increasing debt. :p

Back