K-Web Shopping Card

Yorky

Fullritis Member
Upon attempting a purchase today I realised that my K-Web shopping card (Kasikorn Bank) had expired end of December last year. Previously the expiry date was updated automatically but not anymore. As there didn't appear to be a facility on the webpage to effect this I rang the bank.

The expire date cannot be "renewed". You are required to cancel your current card and apply for a new one (which will have a different number). I'm told it will be "issued" within 24 hours and it will be valid for 3 years.

[Just for information]

Thanks for that Yorky. I booked a hotel yeasterday and noticed my card expired this month. Expected an automatic renewal. Now I know what to do.

I cancelled the old card and applied for a new one on Saturday 10:30. I received an email at 09:30 today (Sunday) to advise that it was operational.

[Edit: it's only valid for 2 years]

Last edited:
How do you cancel the card Yorky. There is no provision for cancellation -merely suspension.

Yes, sorry. Suspend it. Then apply for a new one.

When you have your new one and access the card online both the old and the new card will still show, albeit the old one is denoted as "suspended".

I have a Kasikorn bank account with a debit card. WTF is a web shopping card? Do I need one, I have used my debit card to purchase goods at Big C etc also pay for hotels.

You can use your debit card for transactions in shops etc, and for some online purchases

A Web Shopping Card is used in the same way as a Credit Card, but when used and payment made, that payment is immediately deducted from your account. ie NO CREDIT.
Sometimes only a credit card is acceptable online, and that is where the shopping card comes into its own.

I have used mine only this morning to book accommodation through Agoda.

http://www.kasikornbank.com/EN/Personal/Debit/Pages/KWebShopping.aspx

I like the ability to change the limit. I keep mine at Bht 2,000.00. Should I wish to purchase goods in excess of that I change the limit on-line (virtually immediately), make the purchase, then upon confirmation, change the limit back to Bht 2,000.00.

I have a Kasikorn bank account with a debit card. WTF is a web shopping card? Do I need one, I have used my debit card to purchase goods at Big C etc also pay for hotels.

Strangely enough I tried to use my debit/ATM card to pay for a hotel in Perth, W.A. I was told that they did not accept debit cards however, if they addressed it as a credit card, that would be quite acceptable.

You can use your debit card for transactions in shops etc, and for some online purchases

A Web Shopping Card is used in the same way as a Credit Card, but when used and payment made, that payment is immediately deducted from your account. ie NO CREDIT.
Sometimes only a credit card is acceptable online, and that is where the shopping card comes into its own.

I have used mine only this morning to book accommodation through Agoda.

http://www.kasikornbank.com/EN/Personal/Debit/Pages/KWebShopping.aspx

Thanks Nick and Yorky, I may get one. I prefer not to pay up front for hotels booked online. I use bookings.com and can pay on arrival with them. Not sure if you know this but I have cancelled my hotel bookings several times with this mob and, despite dire warnings of having to pay if I cancel, I have never been charged. I arrived at a hotel once for a 5 night prebooked stay and the manager told me she could give me a better rate than bookings.com and told me to cancel the booking while I was standing in the lobby, I did and the cancellation popped up on her computer. I believe it is up to the hotel to try to get the cancellation fee from you and they don't have the will power or smarts to do this. It may be different with a large Hotel chain like Amari etc.

Just a minor point. Dino had a problem with his own "credit card" when attempting to pay for his Vietnam visa ($55.00). He came round today and I tried it with my Shopping Card. Fail. The bank text me to point out that my "funds" were insufficient (Bht 2,000.00). I upped the limit to Bht 3,000.00 and there was subsequently no problem. Obviously the Vietnamese were using a less advantageous exchange rate than Kasikorn. The final bill was Bht 2,014.00.

Worth remembering, I think.

Did Dino rally need a Vietnamese visa? Holders of many Western passports can have -I think-15 day visa free stay in Vietnam, as long as they can show a return ticket out of Vietnam

Thais also have visa free entry.

A bit of a hiccough with the K-Bank shopping card. I made a purchase earlier today which was in excess of the Bht 2,000.00 which I have in force. I increased the limit to cover the purchase and after hearing that payment was accepted (virtually immediately by text to my phone) decreased the limit back to Bht 2,000.00. This afternoon I wished to make another purchase (only Bht 300.00) but the bank rejected it. I suppose the reasoning would be something only a banker would understand.

Are ye sure the 2,000 is not your daily limit?

(I hope you never wind up in a situation that costs above 2000...and you're not with your computer close by.)

"There are many here among us
Who feel that life is but a joke."
(It's not.) :flushed:
"Two riders were approaching
The wind began to howl."

A bit of a hiccough with the K-Bank shopping card. I made a purchase earlier today which was in excess of the Bht 2,000.00 which I have in force. I increased the limit to cover the purchase and after hearing that payment was accepted (virtually immediately by text to my phone) decreased the limit back to Bht 2,000.00. This afternoon I wished to make another purchase (only Bht 300.00) but the bank rejected it. I suppose the reasoning would be something only a banker would understand.

I originally had a 50,000baht limit, but reduced it to 20.000bt. Never get anywhere near that, as I only use it for hotel bookings. Nevertheless 2,000bt is perhaps a bit low.
Probably the bank baulked at several changes on the same day.

Are ye sure the 2,000 is not your daily limit?

(I hope you never wind up in a situation that costs above 2000...and you're not with your computer close by.)

Given that it's an "on line shopping card" I fail to see how I could use it without my computer very close by?

I originally had a 50,000baht limit, but reduced it to 20.000bt. Never get anywhere near that, as I only use it for hotel bookings. Nevertheless 2,000bt is perhaps a bit low.
Probably the bank baulked at several changes on the same day.

Possibly. What I should have done is left the increased limit until tomorrow (both purchases were within the limit) and then reduced it again.

My reason for leaving it at Bht 2,000.00 is because my wife reckons some unscrupulous ******* may get on to the site and pinch some. It's very little hassle to change it anyway.

Back