Kasikorn Just Took 800 Baht

I have encountered a "daily" limit with my Bangkok Bank Debit Card but it turned out to be transaction limit as far as cash withdrawals are concerned. Seems pointless I can't withdraw 39,000 but I can one minute apart withdraw 19,500 and 19,500

I think we sometimes forget where we are. Don't get me wrong, I am not defending banks - I have more than sufficient reasons to hate the bastards. However, although we are limited to 20,000 Baht at a time I can get 50,000 Baht out in any one day via the ATM - I can't get over a £1,000 out on my UK card, anywhere!

In the case of Kasikorn they are very clear with their information:-

Transactions via K-ATM Service
1. Withdrawal
Maximum daily withdrawal depends on the limits set for each type of your linked card, but not to exceed THB20,000 per occasion. Daily withdrawal limits for transactions made via K-ATM (after limits adjusted) are as follows:

• ATM cards: THB50,000/day
  • Visa Electron debit cards: THB200,000/day
    Note: The above limits can be changed via K-Contact Center at 0 2888 8888.Thai and English
2. Balance/Statement Inquiry:
You can check your ledger balance and available balance from your linked accounts. Statements of your e-Savings accounts or purchase transactions made via your debit cards can also be printed out.
3. Funds Transfer

• Transfer between your linked accounts
    No limits are set for funds transfer between your linked accounts. Transfer up to THB999,999 is allowed per occasion.
  • Other Account Funds Transfer
    Maximum daily transfer depends on the limits set for each type of your linked card, but not to exceed THB999,999 per occasion. Daily limits for other account funds transfer made via K-ATM (after limits adjusted) are as follows:
    • ATM cards: THB200,000/day
    • Visa Electron debit cards: THB1,000,000/day
      Note: The above limits can be changed via K-Contact Center at 0 2888 8888.
  • Inter-bank Funds Transfer
    Maximum daily transfer depends on the limits set for each type of your linked card, but not to exceed THB30,000 per occasion. Daily limits for inter-bank funds transfer made via K-ATM (after limits adjusted) are as follows:
    • ATM cards: THB30,000/day
    • Visa Electron debit cards: THB100,000/day
      Note: The above limits can be changed via K-Contact Center at 0 2888 8888.

Wombats situation is not so much about the bank and him (unless he can speak sufficient Thai to fully understand what he is being offered) it is as much about the interaction between Falang/Thai couples. I would suggest that we rely on our partners too much in these situations.

I think it is better to try and be independent and research a bank's website before even going into a branch. Kasikorn and Bangkok Bank websites are excellent in this regard and with BKB you can download forms in English.

Word of caution - taking such forms to a one-horse town like Ban Kruat will not work as the staff in rural branches are unlikely to speak any English. In my case the clerk totally ignored my fully completed account opening forms and wrote her own out in Thai! I guess I can understand that - what I can't understand is the apparent comfort that a signed copy of my partner's ID gives them Crazy1

Back